Unlimited access >

Internal fencing for rotational grazing

I want to use electric fences to divide my 4 acre pasture into three areas for rotational grazing and for rehabbing a marshy section. The perimeter fence is 5’ high four-board wood. I have two ~17hh warmbloods and a mini donkey turned out together in there (they are stabled overnight in winter and during the day in summer). The two horses have been around electric before. The donkey probably has too but I’ll make sure to introduce everyone to the new setup properly. I have no experience with temporary or electric fencing and no clue where to start as far as choosing materials.

1. What are the pros and cons of plastic vs. fiberglass step-in posts? I have some plastic ones I used for other purposes but they bent like crazy after one windy day. On the other hand, people complain about fiberglass shards–could that actually hurt the horses or is it only a problem if you try to move them without wearing gloves?

2. Should I shell out for longer posts? 48" minus whatever ends up in the ground is pretty low. My older horse has a history of jumping 4’ fences because the grass was greener on the other side. Will the electricity generally be a deterrent to jumping too? It’s not a huge safety issue because the perimeter fence would keep them in, but it would be annoying to invest in and install the fence, then find it useless except as to the donkey. I also wouldn’t want anyone to get tangled during a failed jump.

3. I’m planning to use electric tape based on past bad experience with wire. Is 1" okay to reduce wind resistance and the resulting wear on the posts? The 2" variety is stronger but I don’t think tensile strength matters all that much because if a horse does try to go through the fence I’d rather have the tape break than tangle. Am I wrong about that? Anything else I should consider? Electrobraid?

4. Are there any particular brand names I should consider for the fence components or are they mostly comparable? Would I be unhappy in the long run if I picked everything up from Tractor Supply?

I have used the white tape with the fiberglass posts, Tractor Supply stuff is fine IMO. I have not had a horse ruin the fence, but deer, yes.

HorseGaurd tape is hands-down the BEST tape available. You have to purchase it online, it isn’t available in stores. It is way stronger, more durable, and the wind - rain - snow does not stretch it or make it sag. It is thick enough to “stay” in the triangle-shaped end tensioners, whereas the TSC/farm store variety is thin enough it will slip sideways.

As far as insulators and corner/end tensioners go, I use what is available at TSC or other feed stores. I don’t use the HorseGaurd insulators because I cannot justify their expense. I also use standard gate handles that I have threaded an extra “triangle” tensioner through. Handles WITHOUT a spring work best, though.

I have used plastic and fiberglass step-in posts that have the insulators built in, and don’t really have much of a preference either way. The round fiberglass step-ins do tend to have the “step” come loose and slide down, but the square variety’s step can break off if you hit it just right…

I DO NOT like saggy electric tape. At all. So I end all my cross-fencing lines at wooden posts in order to keep them snug. If a wooden post isn’t available, then I will make an H-brace out of T-posts using the hardware available at TSC. I also make an X on the H using cable and clamps, to keep it super sturdy. Installing it in this manner has kept it looking excellent for 3 years now. All I ever have to do is tighten it once or twice a year, if that. And my HorseGaurd paddocks that were installed in Oklahoma in November 2003 are still standing and looking great 12+ years later.

Forgot the jumping part. I am not sure you can make “temporary” electric fence high enough to deter a determined jumper. There is a 15H horse at the barn I work at that will jump the temp fence, but the same fence keeps 2 Percheron mares where they belong. It comes down to whether the horse fears/respects the fence or not.

Also, as far as wind, we were hit with a F2 tornado in Oklahoma. Took the roof off the house, collapsed part of the barn, but blew right through the HorseGaurd tape paddocks right next to the barn. HorseGaurd has very very little wind resistance! It doesn’t quiver or vibrate like the TSC stuff.

The deer have hit my Horse Guard fence 3x so far. I just have to retighten it. No breaks.

[QUOTE=HPFarmette;8041542]
I have used the white tape with the fiberglass posts, Tractor Supply stuff is fine IMO. I have not had a horse ruin the fence, but deer, yes.[/QUOTE]

That worked fine for me too. My neighbor is borrowing it now and it’s doing fine for her as well.

As far as horses jumping electric tape - while some probably will, generally most horses won’t jump it. It was explained to me that they don’t exactly understand what bites them when they touch it, and are leery of trying to jump it. Of course, there’s always some horse who will jump. My horses never jumped it, but they were not trained to jump under saddle either.

I have used the fiberglass posts, just wear gloves when handling them. They don’t bend! However, depending on your soil, they might be a nuisance to pull out when you move the fence.

I used a rotational grazing system, moving the fence every few days and this was pretty well made and the posts were very easy to work with. http://canterlc.com/ When the deer would crash through it, it was no big deal to set it up again.

Thanks all!! I hate saggy tape too so I’ve been looking at Horse Guard trying to figure out what all I need. dc, do you have the bipolar or monopolar tape? Do you know if you can use non-HorseGuard tensioners with the bipolar tape? The HorseGuard ones are stupid expensive. These $5 ones from Home Depot look like they could be a good alternative to the cheap plasticky variety, but I want to make sure they are okay with the bipolar fence.

[QUOTE=trailpal;8043435]
I used a rotational grazing system, moving the fence every few days and this was pretty well made and the posts were very easy to work with. http://canterlc.com/ When the deer would crash through it, it was no big deal to set it up again.[/QUOTE]

Wow, just saw this–pretty neat.

Thanks for the info on jumping too. That’s what I suspected and was hoping to hear. The last time he jumped out of a pasture was years ago and he’s now 19 so that’s all the more reason I hope it will be fine. I don’t need him teaching his little brother to be an escape artist too!

[QUOTE=Libby2563;8043490]
Thanks all!! I hate saggy tape too so I’ve been looking at Horse Guard trying to figure out what all I need. dc, do you have the bipolar or monopolar tape? Do you know if you can use non-HorseGuard tensioners with the bipolar tape? The HorseGuard ones are stupid expensive. These $5 ones from Home Depot look like they could be a good alternative to the cheap plasticky variety, but I want to make sure they are okay with the bipolar fence.[/QUOTE]

I have the “old-fashioned” variety - is that the monopolar?

I also have some of the insulators you linked from Home Depot. They suck. The plastic degrades within 12 months of being outside in the sun. It gets brittle and shatters at the slightest touch. I am forced to use them, though, because they are the only brand available that has a version to end at a T-post.

I use this type of insulator for my ends, corners, and gate ends that are wood posts: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=f4f81e98-8200-45da-92d9-1a7cb341532d I buy the “corner insulators” and then I have extra “triangle thingy” to use on a gate handle, or even splice broken lines in a pinch.

Pretty much everything on Valley Vet’s “Safe Fence” section is what I use on my Horse Guard tape. http://www.valleyvet.com/c/fencing-supplies/electric-fencing/safe-fencing-electric-system.html

[QUOTE=moving to dc;8043913]
I have the “old-fashioned” variety - is that the monopolar?[/QUOTE]

Yup! That’s what I decided to go with too. I don’t think I need the bipolar and if you get that you need to buy the HorseGuard brand insulators.

[QUOTE=moving to dc;8043913]I also have some of the insulators you linked from Home Depot. They suck. The plastic degrades within 12 months of being outside in the sun. It gets brittle and shatters at the slightest touch. I am forced to use them, though, because they are the only brand available that has a version to end at a T-post.

I use this type of insulator for my ends, corners, and gate ends that are wood posts: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=f4f81e98-8200-45da-92d9-1a7cb341532d I buy the “corner insulators” and then I have extra “triangle thingy” to use on a gate handle, or even splice broken lines in a pinch.

Pretty much everything on Valley Vet’s “Safe Fence” section is what I use on my Horse Guard tape. http://www.valleyvet.com/c/fencing-supplies/electric-fencing/safe-fencing-electric-system.html[/QUOTE]

Thank you thank you!! Those insulators did look cheapo. One more question if you have any more energy for me…do you use a HorseGuard brand charger or something else? They seem really overpriced ($225 for AC and $290 for solar). But knowing nothing, I don’t know if a Zareba or other cheaper one will do what I need it to.

Don’t cheap out on a solar charger. The Parmak chargers are probably the best price-performance option, especially if you won’t have any weeds on the fence.

[QUOTE=poltroon;8046441]
Don’t cheap out on a solar charger. The Parmak chargers are probably the best price-performance option, especially if you won’t have any weeds on the fence.[/QUOTE]

Agreed

I have a Parmak solar charger that has been in almost constant use 24/7/365 for 3 years and is still working perfectly.

I also have a Southern States AC charger that I think is just a re-badged Parmak. It, too, works great and powers thru weeds.

The Zareba chargers I have tried have all been returned to the store. They are weak, even on super short runs of perfectly installed fence.

My friend’s warmblood filly always believed in the “grass is greener” and was quite innovative. Although she could have jumped the electric fence divider easy peasy, instead she’d carefully lift the step ins out of the ground (usually 3 in a row) and then just walk through. Wish we’d video taped her! :lol:

I have the Horseguard temporary fencing kit, which uses fiberglass posts. It makes a taller fence than the plastic step-in posts, and it’s worked well for me. The downside is that the posts have to be pounded.

Another direction to look for supplies would be http://premier1supplies.com I use their electric netting for sheep and poultry and they have ‘fibertuff’ posts that are tall and easily step in to the ground. Anyway, they have some different stuff that may be of interest, and a great catalog for electric fence.

My plug-in Zareba has been fine. I get 10,000 volt readings (I am using the bipolar tape). I think I have the 75 mile charger (that’s just how they catagorize them). It was on sale and had a three year warranty vs. the 50 mile with a 2 year warranty…if I remember correctly.

I am absolutely not implying it is better than a Parmak charger, just commenting since no one else had one working. :wink:

[QUOTE=TrotTrotPumpkn;8046993]
My plug-in Zareba has been fine. I get 10,000 volt readings (I am using the bipolar tape). I think I have the 75 mile charger (that’s just how they catagorize them). It was on sale and had a three year warranty vs. the 50 mile with a 2 year warranty…if I remember correctly. [/QUOTE]

Glad to hear because I already ordered a plug-in Zareba from Amazon, before reading the Parmak recommendations! Hopefully it works ok and I can avoid paying return shipping. Is yours mounted inside or did you build it a waterproof enclosure? My field is a bit far away from any buildings so I need to figure out how to protect it. I’m thinking of upside down Tupperware or something!

I built it a waterproof enclosure. It looks like a bird house sort of, and then the front of it is on a hinge.

I did it cheaply with thin plywood and it is warping. I need to build a better one this summer.

[QUOTE=TrotTrotPumpkn;8046993]
My plug-in Zareba has been fine. I get 10,000 volt readings (I am using the bipolar tape). I think I have the 75 mile charger (that’s just how they catagorize them). It was on sale and had a three year warranty vs. the 50 mile with a 2 year warranty…if I remember correctly.

I am absolutely not implying it is better than a Parmak charger, just commenting since no one else had one working. ;)[/QUOTE]

The plug-in ones seem to be pretty reliable from any vendor. The solar ones are a bit more complicated and more expensive to do well, so some vendors cheap out by failing to protect the battery from overcharge or making the total package too mild to get the respect of the animals.

[QUOTE=poltroon;8048627]
The plug-in ones seem to be pretty reliable from any vendor. The solar ones are a bit more complicated and more expensive to do well, so some vendors cheap out by failing to protect the battery from overcharge or making the total package too mild to get the respect of the animals.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if that might be the case. Thanks! Since I can do AC I think I’ll go with that first.