Unlimited access >

International Tack Shopper

If you’re anything like me, you look for tack shops when you go on vacation. With more or less success, depending!

I thought I’d start a thread to help the similarly afflicted in their pursuit of tack on vacation. Feel free to add your destination country, city and tack shop details! (US/Canada not included, since they’re so easy to find here)

City: Santiago de Puriscal (20 mins from San Jose)
Address: 50m south on Mercado Municipal - up the hill on the left.
Shop: Talabartería El Llanero
Why it’s good: Authentic Costa Rican tack. Better quality items than other stores you’ll see, handmade at the store by the brothers who own it. Owners don’t speak English but like all Costa Ricans are very friendly!

City: Buenos Aires
Address: Ortega y Gasset 1539
Shop: Talabartería Aynie
Why it’s good: Owner is very nice and will custom make items for you: English and polo stuff.

Address: Ortega y Gasset 1539
Shop: Arandu
Why it’s good: Traditional gaucho gear and polo stuff here. Good quality, large selection.

City: Andorra la Vella
Address: there are two tack shops in this small city - one in the center of town, one at the south end. Can’t remember the names.
Why it’s good: The shop in the center sells higher end dressage and jumping tack. The one on the outskirts is less expensive English gear. A visit to Andorra is all duty free so stock up on perfumes and booze while you’re there!

I found a great saddler in France near Quillan but can’t remember his name so can’t add it. No luck in Italy or Crete!

Nice idea for a thread, Xan! :slight_smile:

Can’t contribute since I haven’t looked for any tack whilst overseas…

I must be the only one! Oh dear… tackaholics anon for me… :lol:

1 Like

I was looking for one in Lisbon, not much success. Need to take my wife back to go boot shopping though :wink:

Can’t remember the name of the shop but I bought a nice pair of jods in Killarney Ireland

I love Killarney. I’d go back at the tip of a hat.

Updated with new tack shops!

City: Puerto Vallarta
Address: Independencia 288, El Pitillal (the numbers don’t run down the street correctly - your cab driver will be confused)
Shop: La Regional Talabarteria
Why it’s good: Tiny place run by an elderly couple and son: get your decorative braided rawhide charro bridles for $20 and a severely ornate bit for $80, or go for a charro saddle for $350 USD.

City: Paris
Address: There are four PADD shops in Paris: Google 'em!
Shop: PADD Horsetack
Why it’s good: Lots of mid range French and German saddlery you won’t find in the USA, lots of stuff in stock and friendly assistants who speak the international language of horse. Look on the events board to see when the next horse show is in the Bois du Bologne.

City: Paris
Address: 22 Avenue Victor Hugo
Shop: Pierre Guibert
Why it’s good: Higher end own-brand saddlery with lots of coordinated accessories, handbags and jewelry. Hermès lite.

City: San Diego - Del Mar
Address: 3675 Via De La Valle
Shop: Mary’s Tack
Why it’s good: Loads of stuff here - English downstairs, Western upstairs: I just did some serious damage!

[QUOTE=carolprudm;6070204]
Can’t remember the name of the shop but I bought a nice pair of jods in Killarney Ireland[/QUOTE]

Was it a teeny tiny shop? If so I totally wanted to add that, but sadly also can’t remember the name!

Was it Twomeys Horse and Country?

What?! You’ve listed other shops in Buenos Aires but not the famous La Casa de las Botas?! :eek:

Shop: www.lacasadelasbotas.com.ar

Why it’s good: OMG the boots! Handmade quality boots that don’t break the bank and fit perfectly from the get go, mix & match features. I got mine back in 2013, have hunted and show jumped in them & they still look amazing.

My one regret was only buying 1 pair, in boring black. Though I do have a little jumping horse detail on them. I’ll just have to go back one day & buy something more exciting :smiley:

Feliz I don’t know what I was thinking! I have the same regret - getting plain black when u should have gone nuts. But remember: they store your measurements:)

[QUOTE=Belg;6069989]
I was looking for one in Lisbon, not much success. Need to take my wife back to go boot shopping though ;)[/QUOTE]

I will be in Lisbon in March, curious if anyone has any good tack stores to go to while there!

I can’t believe you’ve been to Andorra! I was there - in 1974! Wasn’t riding then, but on our way there we stopped at a cave with prehistoric cave paintings! It was fabulous. Alas, the cave is closed to tourists now.

Andorra was great! Love me some tiny countries :wink:

In Holland/Belgium you have Emmers which is like Dover. There are branches at most shows and a big store maybe 30min from Tops. The stores at show places aren’t just open during shows but the hours can be wonky…like all hours in Holland and Belgium.

IN Holland is also divoza horse world which is big and amazing.

There’s also a small shop in Veldoven where I lived that had a surprisingly huge selection of clothes and tremendous bargains like lots and lots of 20-50€ pikeurs. New, not consignment. tons of clothes.

New update:

City: Eccleshall, near Stafford
Address: The Mill, Stone Rd, Eccleshall, Stafford ST21 6DJ, UK
Shop: Eccleshall Saddlery
Why it’s good: Loads of stuff here - new and used - on two levels. Friendly staff to boot.

City: Hickstead shows at the All England Jumping Course - several throughout the year
Address: Hickstead, Haywards Heath RH17 5NU, UK
Shop: (shopping village)
Why it’s good: The show is amazing anyway, but the shopping is awesome. :smiley:

This was a while ago, a few weeks after hurricane Katrina. While visiting Vienna, went to a very cool tackstore, I think the name was Chlad. It had a beautiful selection of EVERYTHING. I purchased two saddle pads, polos and a halter/leadrope. I still use everything today. The best part, the sales clerk wanted to know all the details of Katrina and kept my husband entertained for an hour while I shopped.

Have also been to Divoza in Holland, as others have mentioned, a great experience.

I can second Emmers! Wow!

Epplejack has lots of stores in the Netherlands. Their online store is pretty great, too.

And if you ever happen to be in Havixbeck, Germany: http://www.pferdewelt-baumberge.de

And this is another great store in Germany: ​​​​​​​https://www.wohlhorn.de

City: Catania
Address: Via Pietra Platiana, 126, Catania
Shop: Selleria Mangiapane
Why it’s good: Genuine Sicilian horse gear including driving harness made on site and sold here. Get your feathery headdresses and bells!

City: Rome
Address: Via Francesco Siacci 32, 00197 Rome
Shop: Equitana Sport
Why it’s good: Small shop with higher end jumper gear for sale

It’s been a while… but

City: Marrakesh
Address: in the Medina (old city) go to the Souk Semmarine off Jemaa El-Fnaa square and ask anyone.
Shop: I can’t remember the name of the place but there’s only one…
Why it’s good: Genuine Moroccan “Fantasia” tack sold here - highly decorated with embroidery in bright colors, specially made for the Berber team event called Fantasia. A bridle is about $60 USD or 600 Moroccan Dirham

2 Likes