Interstitial Cystitis

I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about two years ago. Along with the more common bladder pain, I also have pelvic pain as well. I am lucky that I have my horses in the backyard, so if I am having a bad day I can get to the bathroom without a problem.
I do remember when I used to board, my first question when inquiring about a stall was “do you have a bathroom”. :lol:
Most of the time I can still ride, although I don’t ride for extended periods of time and I don’t sit the trot. I ride in a well-padded dressage saddle.
Considering how much riding effects the pelvis and the uro/bladder area, I was curious if there were other riders with this condition.
I’m lucky that when I am having mild flares, I tend to find that going out and caring for the horses keeps my mind of off my pain.

I have it and have had it. Back when I was a child with it, I used to get cystoscoped. They would pump some sort of medicated solution into the bladder, stretch it out so the medicine would get in the cracks, and let it and me sit for a time. This was before most antibiotics, so the procedure was a weekly adventure for about a month or six weeks.

You might ask about that procedure and see if it’s still done.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7088659]
I have it and have had it. Back when I was a child with it, I used to get cystoscoped. They would pump some sort of medicated solution into the bladder, stretch it out so the medicine would get in the cracks, and let it and me sit for a time. This was before most antibiotics, so the procedure was a weekly adventure for about a month or six weeks.

You might ask about that procedure and see if it’s still done.[/QUOTE]

They do still do those. Most doctors today will try the least invasive approach first. Diet modification is usually tried as well a prescription drug Elmiron. Some people do the instills with or without the bladder extenstion. I have not tried that at this point. Involuntary muscle spasms are a part of how IC presents itself for me, so any invasive procedure could potentially worsen my muscle spasms. I have had good results in the past with diet modification. It has to be pretty extreme at first. I cut out all acidic, high oxiliate foods as well as any potential allergens, like soy and gluten.
I am very lucky that my body tends to respond to the diet modification…or at least so far it has. The hard part is not falling back into old eating habits when I am feeling ok.
If I never had any relief from the pain I’m not sure I would be able to ride comfortably. I’m lucky right now that I am off for the summer because I can ride in the morning…the pain and discomfort is usually less in the morning for me. Most days lately I am feeling crappy by 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

I’ve had Ic for 13 years. Riding can suck sometimes when I’m feeling that “pinchy” type pelvic pain. Tramadol for pain has been my friend. Without it I could not fully function. I also take hydroxine 50 mg every night.
I don’t want to scare anyone, but I did have a strep g infection 8 years ago, the doctors felt my Ic had helped it spread more quickly into my system. Consequently I’m very careful with my stress levels and overall health. Yoga has been really helpful to me to manage stress.Taking the tramadol has allowed my to compete successfully during this disease. The difficult part is that as sufferers we appear fine, but may be silently suffering. Certain people I have no patience for anymore , I like to surround myself with upbeat friends. I’m on vacation right now, but will try to check back in. Trying not to drink all this amazing Seattle coffee! Lol!!

I have it. My Mom had it as well. I lost a lot of weight and cut out all acidic foods and especially soft drinks and that helped a lot. I took the Elmiron (sounds like a Harry Potter character) and it didn’t help that much with the discomfort. After I lost 25 lbs, I noticed a huge difference in the bladder control issues.

jsut a question…

Not sure I get how limiting gluten or soy has anything to do w/cystitis. Seems like overkill in the diet modifications department. Get tested for allergies rather than assuming. Also wonder if some abdominal support would be good when going riding. I can attest to the value of that in this area. And to the limiting acidic foods and losing weight/improving abdominal musculature. Best wishes!

Restricting alcohol,acidic foods and coffee has made a big difference for me. Spicy foods can trigger a mild flare-up. Keep a food diary and try to figure out what works for you. My friend (who is a fellow sufferer)and I both try to manage our stress.It can be hard at parties but now I am really entertained by tipsy people. And I don’t have to worry about getting a DUI!

I get it. I have given up riding on consecutive days, or for long periods of time. My problem may be age related. As I have been through menopause my skin and muscles are less resilient than they were. I’m searching for a saddle with a gap down the spine. Something like a McClellan type saddle. Does anyone make one? I did see a neoprene saddle which I could have cut into to remove the center, but I can’t remember the make. Otherwise I may have to call it a day.