Introduction

Hello,
I’m new to these forums when I came across this section.

I have Fibromylgia, MS and newly diagnosed with Diverticulosis.
My riding career started when I was about 8-9 years old, and then summer of 1991 at the end of August when I I had to go off to college. I was able to ride during my breaks, but I had to work a lot because I was in art college, and that was really expensive for the supplies that I needed.

Fast forward to the present:
I went back into training this past October with my daughter. First time riding like that since August 1991, and this time I’m 45!

I’m still training, I have a full time editorial portrait and branding photography business, and of course married and a mom :wink:
Thanks,
Deirdre

Welcome and here’s hoping you find good friends and understanding here !

1 Like

Hi, I have MS, I’ve had it for a long time.

MS severely limits my riding. I do not have much endurance so I can only ride 30 minutes at a time or I rapidly become ineffective in the saddle.

It also affects my balance front and back, and side to side.

My hand tremors can limit me using a bit though I finally found some bits that did not bother the horses too much (unfortunately these bits, Wellep, are no longer made). Before the Wellep bit all three horses I ride would emphatically tell me that I needed to go bitless when the weather got hot and muggy.

In the heat my lower legs get more unstable. Before I found the Spursuader spurs my riding teacher would march out and take off my spurs, usually on the first hot day of the year. This made riding a lot more tiring since I had to use my legs so much more. Since I have so little energy it can sometimes be challenging to get the horses to move out at all.

The technical fabric hot weather shirts and riding tights are wonderful, my summer riding has really improved since I started wearing them.

It sounds like you live a full life, good for you! I used to too until the exhaustion from my MS overcame me. If you start to get really, really tired it can be a good idea to cut down on your activities because this is an exhaustion that cannot be overcome by getting more fit. I went into downward spirals of exhaustion several times before I was diagnosed and each time it took me a LONG time to recover when my body finally forced me to cut back on my activities.

But I was diagnosed 25 years ago and I am still riding horses, and I am convinced that riding horses is the only reason why I am still able to walk on my own two feet (plus canes.) I ended up in an electric wheelchair, I wore that wheelchair out, but because I got back into riding again I did not have to replace the electric wheelchair, or use my wheeled walker all the time.

Keep on riding, as far as I can see it is the best physical therapy for people with MS.

2 Likes

Welcome.

As you see, there are others here that can sympathize with your situation and may even help with some tips to get along.

I would add one suggestion, have you tried different disciplines, saddles and such?

At different times, if one kind of riding is becoming harder, maybe some other could be easier on those with problems?
Different horses move in different ways.
What we do horseback can be different also.
Some of it may help or hinder a rider with special needs.

I have some collapsed vertebrae and some horses seems smooth.
Others hurt my back.
Neither may be necessarily the same horses others find smooth or rough.
We are all individuals, changing what we do to find better ways may help.

That we are comfortable will also help our horses, as the previous post indicated with some bits working better than others.

Best luck forward to all.

1 Like

Welcome! And congrats on finding your way back to riding!

I’m a little older than you, rode a bit as a kid, went to art school and during that time suddenly developed RA. I graduated, got married, had a daughter, got divorced and have been a single mama since. I’m a designer in a corporate brand department. We’re almost twins! Haha!

Around age 7 DD, now almost 23

Welcome! And congrats on finding your way back to riding!

I’m a little older than you, rode a bit as a kid, went to art school and during that time suddenly developed RA. I graduated, got married, had a daughter, got divorced and have been a single mama since. I’m a designer in a corporate brand department. We’re almost twins! Haha!

Around age 7 DD, now almost 23

1 Like

Spam reported.