Unlimited access >

Irish Horses and Registries

I’m in a bit of a mental tailspin about a particular potential situation that I’d like to get sorted out before anything is decided. I’ve come here to pick the brains of some of you more experienced breeders than myself.

Situation:

I have the opportunity to breed a JC reg TB mare. She’s got a great temperament, brave, sane, good conformation, decent bloodlines.

Ever since I rode them in Ireland, I’ve wanted an Irish Draught cross. I’ve looked at babies on the ground, but there’s something about producing it myself that feels worthwhile (I know it probably won’t cost me any less). So off I went looking for stallions. I’m pretty sure I want a 1/2 and 1/2, as I love the bigger boned, broader horses and I’ve had my fair share of TB’s and would like something significantly different. I found an imported Irish Draught who has a registration number but was never inspected, and therefore is not a ‘class’ anything stallion. He does check off all my ‘boxes’ except for the ‘being registered’ one. I’ve been in the horse business (including breeding with my family growing up) long enough to know what a nice horse looks like, and he’s definitely one of them, and perfectly worthy of being bred. I’ve been told that they are no longer doing Irish Draught inspections in the US, so there’s not currently a way to get him fully registered without an expensive plane ride.

The tailspin begins when I think about the ramifications of further generations due to the stallion not technically being registered. I am breeding for myself, however, if I got a filly I would potentially want to have the option of breeding her in the future, and would think that her foals would be worth more/attract a more discerning clientele if she were registered. If I got a gelding then there’s no need to fret because he would just be my performance horse and registries wouldn’t matter.

I guess I’m just curious how the process would work if I wanted to get the offspring registered, and any future offspring registered. If it helps I’m an eventer and would be breeding for that purpose.

I am not sure of a non inspected Irish Draught/tb cross would be eligible for papers in North America. I am fairly certain if you breed to an inspected RID stallion that the foal is eligible for papers. I do not know what will happen with inspections in the future, but as a small breeder, I would try to find a stallion that has been inspected. I have a halfbred, that has papers, but I never took her for inspections. It makes her eligible for awards though.

There are some nice stallions available.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

I love our Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport Horses. They are fabulous horses.

I believe that there will be inspections at the 2016 Irish Draught National Show. There is a Facebook page for the show. Talk with some breeders who can help you figure out what you need to do to get a stallion imported and inspected. I heard that there are now nonstop flights from Shannon to New York. Personally, I would probably geld the horse you want to buy and then import him, ride him, and have fun with him. Then, I would use one of the many nice stallions already here for breeding. Admittedly, I am lazy and like the easy way of doing things.

Just an opinion…we bought a very well bred, Registered ISH weanling by Touch of the Blues with the idea of crossing him on out lovely TB mares for 3/4 TB, ISH’s. The plan “was” to have him inspected, but when he was the proper age the closest inspection was in Chicago (we are in Oklahoma)…too far…next year the inspections were in Houston, Tx…even FARTHER away. Out of the question as there are just husband and I and an 80 acre horse farm and 20+ horses. So we did not have him inspected…but his only foals offered for sale sold as well unregistered as they would have if we had spent the $$$$ for the inspection, vet checks required and the long trip!! My opinion is that people buying quality ISH horses don’t REALLY seem to care about the papers. The ones most concerned are looking for purebred RID’s to breed themselves. The ISH people “seem” to be looking for good riding/competition horses. JMO.

They are planning on inspections. All but 1 of the stallion owners I know are planning on bringing theirs forward. I’m rather excited about the number that are planning for inspection. I would encourage you to find an owner that plans to bring theirs forward or an already approved one. Without, you are left with PHR, AWR etc. Especially for selling young stock, registration does matter to many folks. If I forget to put it in an ad, about 90% will ask if the foal will be registered. Once under saddle, it may not matter as much.