Unlimited access >

Irish Wolfhounds

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I worked with racing greyhounds for many years, they are definitely not small dog or cat safe outside, because chasing, quick of the mark, and fast is what they do.

Indoors, mainly couch potatoes. For a time I worked for a wonderful, eccentric English lady, who took all her ex racers home to retire. Best job ever, she had a manor house, acres of land and up to 12 dogs, both indoors and out, it was a hoot.

3 Likes

“I’m a Scottish Deerhound breeder.”

Lucky you! Didn’t Sir Walter Scott describe them as “the most perfect creature this side of Heaven”? (Or something to that effect)

And your girl is lovely!

4 Likes

Oh my gosh–I just got back to this. Your description of your encounter with the Wolfie made me laugh. That is exactly how I remember the male Wolfhounds we showed–silly, lazy, affable clowns that were not rattled by much. :laughing:

1 Like

SD lovers may love seeing the old Michael Powell movie, “I Know Where I’m Going”, where Scottish Deerhounds have a striking walk on part with their breeder. Set in the Scottish islands, quite romantic in a way. That scene alone makes me long for a deerhound!

1 Like

Also Borzoi’s are amazing dogs. I know of a few great breeders.

1 Like

No advice about wolfhounds but a funny story.

At my last barn the trainer had a basset hound and a wolfhound. Those two - truly Mutt and Jeff. The wolfhound knew how to get the basset’s goat - he would just stand on his ears. Too funny! When it was time to go home the bassett went in the front seat and the wolfhound in the back. His tail hung out the left window and his head the right with his ears flapping in the wind and that’s how they went along. The looks they got. I was behind her one day and a CHP officer pulled alongside, did a double-take and had to manuever his vehicle around her so he could get a good look from all sides. He finally drove off laughing and shaking his head. I still wish I had a picture of that crazy dog.

4 Likes