Unlimited access >

Is birthday cake safe for horses?

I know this comes off as a stupid question but my horse’s birthday is tomorrow and mine is the day after. I figured this is a good photo opportunity but wish not to make my horse sick or give him colic :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t give my horse cake, but there’s just so much junk in cake I’m not too keen on it for myself either (though I do occasionally indulge).

What about making him something out of oatmeal or something similar to that?

That might work. He eats almost anything but sugary treats are his favorite :slight_smile:

I could probably make him something with peppermint and molasses and cocosoya oil (three of his favorite things).

I think it’s cool that we almost share a birthday :slight_smile: Giving me an aneurism or not, I still love this horse <3

Carrot cake???

Could be a crowd pleaser for both species :slight_smile: (make mine without nuts please :smiley: )

1 Like

I would’t give him a lot, but a little won’t hurt. I figure one piece is worse for me than for a 1000lb horse! A couple of ours LOVE donuts, so I’m sure cake would go over very well.

Most things are safe in moderation. A little bit of cake on your horse’s birthday is unlikely to cause any harm. I’ve been known to do it. :smiley:

Although, most of my horses are gluttons who will eat almost anything, yet they don’t like cake very much. Not even carrot cake. I’m disappointed every year.

:lol:

1 Like

I found this post I saved from another site.

3 Minute Horse Birthday Cake Recipe
1 cup quick oats (we used Quaker Oats)
2 carrots, shredded
1/4 cup of molasses
1 sugar cube (optional)
Mix ingredients well by hand and place mixture into a small dessert dish to give the “cake” its form. Stuff the sugar cube into the mix, if desired. Flip dessert dish over until the cake releases onto a plate and refrigerate until hardened.

Hahahaha, OP, I just love this question. :yes:

I knew an old horse who loved French bread sticks, and my retired show hunter used to steal tuna sandwiches from his show groom! I figure cake has to be better for them than that. :lol:

My horse LOVES carrot cake. He only gets it on his birthday.

I had a horse who loved eating skittles and drinking Coke. I don’t think a little piece of cake will hurt anything. Nothing at all in a cake that will hurt him. Make something you like too so you enjoy a taste yourself.

I mean, don’t feed him an entire cake. LOL.
Little bits of sweets now and then won’t hurt them. Mine used to love Oatmeal Creme Pies, icy pops, jelly beans, candy corn, candy canes (sounding like Buddy the Elf), and Twizzlers.
One of mine just begged for and received a bite of a hamburger this weekend. Weirdo.
I say, let him eat cake! LOL!

2 Likes

If he likes baked goods, how about a cupcake? Same celebration, in a horse-safe size. My old appaloosa loved baked goods, particularly Archway fruit/oatmeal cookies, blueberry muffins, a small bite of an iced cinnamon roll, and a small amount of frosted birthday cake. My present Percheron hates baked goods. It’s a texture thing. He does like horse cookies, though. To each his own.

My experience is that most of them do not like the frosting because the yummy sweet to lard ratio is off to a herbivore. But heck, share some cake and enjoy.
A little bit of something sweet is not going to hurt the average horse.

My horses each get a piece for their photo op every year…we eat the rest. My one horse inhales his piece, the other, not so much. A cupcake works well for a nice looking photo as well and just a little bit is ok.

We had one boarder who was a large animal vet that would feed her Friesan a large piece of carrot cake with cream cheese icing for his birthday. He would get the icing all over.

I feed mine a full 2 layer Betty Crocker Carrot Cake every year, with cream cheese icing. Finishes it in less than a minute usually! Never seen a side effect…

OP, where are you? I am a professional horse cake taste tester, and I will be able to tell you whether or not your cake will be safe for your horse to eat.

I was just gonna buy one from the supermarket! Lol

Mine eat a gingerbread house at Christmas- I’ve never worried about it.

I have known horses that loved (and occasionally ate) gingersnaps, Goldfish, and granola bars.

DancingArabian’s recipe sounds yummy and I think I will try it for myself (cooking the oats before I eat them!).