Unlimited access >

Is It My Job?

Well, if you’ve been on forums for a long time you know it’s easy to read words the wrong way. Maybe I’m more sensitive because of a really bad experience years ago on the UDBB.

It’s possible the OP provides an amazing boarding experience and if we knew her she’d be someone you want to visit with and be friends.

If a friend asked this question we’d all say, “Just message your boarder and let her know to arrive early and set up the jumps.”

It’s tough on these forums sometimes but the HIVE, the collective knowledge is priceless. OP, you might be offended by some of the replies but there’s usually really good advice tucked away.

5 Likes

When I had my horses at home and my trainer was coming to me I always asked what they had in mind for the next lesson. Either a text beforehand or I’d ask during the previous lesson as we were finishing up. That way I would know if I just needed some poles out, or a full hunter course, or spread some poles and standards down the long side so trainer can set up a grid, etc. I’m paying them for a lesson and their expertise, so I expect them to come up with the lesson plan.

2 Likes

Those were my first thoughts too. No need to expect the worst? Tell her immediately that you won’t be setting up the jumps but the arena is dragged and ready for her to do it for her lesson. Let the trainer know as well in case she wants to do something different.

Communication is key.

So what happened, OP?

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes, i was simply asking a question. This is a new situation for me, boarding a horse here. It was something not specified in the contract so I was unsure if that was an ok thing.

I did send a text to let her know that the arena would be groomed and she could set the jumps how she wanted and to let me know if she needed help with placement.

In the end she didnt have the lesson because roads were hazardous and it was canceled. She was out today and we defined it.

Im really not the b!tch i was assumed to be.

41 Likes

Glad it all worked out and you were able to talk about it, and it is all taken care of for when it might happen in the future.

3 Likes

Glad that so many of us misread you. I didn’t think you were a bit××, just over anxious.

2 Likes

Glad it went well, OP! And thanks for responding nicely to our collective misinterpretation. :flushed:

7 Likes

Just goes to show how the written words can be misinterpreted.

Glad it all worked out.

Glad that it all worked out!
That’s what matters!

I tend to be the type who tries to avoid confrontation and conflict, but even so, sometimes misunderstandings arise, which I think can happen in online forums, texts, emails, etc.

Personally, when I was younger and took many horse back riding lessons, it was always my instructors/ trainers who set the jumps and courses.

Things seemed to have changed quite a bit, at the current barn where I board, a young rider often jumps, and she sets up jumps, and can do it on her own without a trainer around. We’re at a very low key farm, but years ago, I could never jump on my own without a trainer being around at multiple farms, I am pretty sure because of liability. It’s our expectation at the farm where I board that riders put away the jumps, and clean up poop, don’t leave things laying around, etc.

Glad that it all worked out!!
Sometimes communication is not always the easiest thing!

Interesting when I read this post, “is it my job?”
I clicked on it because I feel the same way about it not being my job to do some things. Right now, specifically I don’t feel like cleaning my mare’s field because it wasn’t dragged!

Take good care!

1 Like