Unlimited access >

Is it Pain? Is it time to retire? Treatment Suggestions?? :/

Hello! Some of you may have seen my other related thread a few months back:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?432683-How-to-Manage-Hot-Inconsistent-Horse

Things have gotten a bit better for my 21 year old mare and I, but she’s still very balky at times, roots and pulls at the bit after halting (having said that, that could partly be due to my lack of finesse with the reins. I’m working on that.) and is reactive to any pressure toward her withers (jerks head up whenever rider leans forward, has been doing this for years in many different saddles, and bareback - I have suspected back soreness for a while but can’t find anyone to diagnose or help me manage the pack pain, if that’s what it is…)
For the arthritis, I’ve been giving her a gram of bute each day before riding (under vet observation), she’s on Cosequin plus MSM, she’s getting joint injections every few months (though she HATES it and needs to be thoroughly doped up to make it work…and even then I’m not sure it helps), wrapping her legs to keep swelling down, been trying to ride her every day (as I’ve been told and have experienced that light routine work is helpful for arthritis)… I have also been taking dressage lessons on a schoolmaster and riding several other horses and am learning a lot and improving my riding which my horse seems to appreciate… she is more forward now, a bit rounder on the bit,but she’s still inconsistent and showing signs of pain. I’ve addressed her saddle… my vet isn’t offering any other advice. He did do an x-ray of the arthritic hock, for those who were wondering…

Basically at this point, I’m just struggling along, trying to find a balance of what I can reasonably ask of my horse. I want to keep trying to help her - I’m doing research trying to find a chiropractor or something…but I’m not sure what i need… massage? Chiro? Rolfing? Acupressure? There are so many therapies… (I’m in Arvada, CO, if anyone can recommend someone).

I just need some input. What is my next step? How do you judge when those “aches and pains” have become problematic enough that it’s time to retire the horse? I certainly don’t want to as I can’t afford another horse and I know that I’ve only just begun to scratch the surface of what this awesome horse and i could do together… but if it’s time it’s time. I don’t want to make my horse be in pain!

Pentosan is what I would do.

Ask your vet about Previcoxx. It’s an anti-inflammatory you give daily that is much easier on their stomach than bute.

I’d x-ray with withers/back to see if there was a healed fracture or something else going on there.

If you don’t find anything, I’d start with a fresh lameness exam to see if there is another joint/area you need to focus on.

Daily bute and regular joint injections makes me think the horse needs a lower work load, or retirement - but I wouldn’t go there without determining whether the root of the problem is something that the bute/hock injections isn’t touching.

[QUOTE=joiedevie99;7554713]
I’d x-ray with withers/back to see if there was a healed fracture or something else going on there.

If you don’t find anything, I’d start with a fresh lameness exam to see if there is another joint/area you need to focus on.

Daily bute and regular joint injections makes me think the horse needs a lower work load, or retirement - but I wouldn’t go there without determining whether the root of the problem is something that the bute/hock injections isn’t touching.[/QUOTE]

I will definitely think about x-raying the back… thanks!
She had a “fresh” lameness exam a few months ago when I switched vets. I didn’t mention the arthritis to him until after the flexion test, etc. Just to make sure his diagnosis was solid. He didn’t find anything apart from the arthritis I already knew about which he said was about a grade 3 out of 5 lameness (though I might call it a 4 as her stride is clearly shorter on that side).

Look into Pentosan and Previcox.

My old guy, who is a bit of a hind-end trainwreck, keeps trucking along very happily on a small daily dose of Previcox and Pentosan once a month. We haven’t had to inject hocks or stifles since we started this protocol. He does get his SI injected about once a year, but that’s a different issue.

I’ve accepted the fact that we won’t be going much higher than we are now (2nd level) but he is still enthusiastic and enjoys the work, so we keep at it.

I have retired two horses in the past for arthritis issues–but both of those were ringbone related and neither were comfortable or happy to stay in work, even with the treatments that were available. Both were in their late teens. (Once retired they determined to live forever, however–one lived to be 34 and the other is now 29…)

And just so you know, joint injections will require sedation on any horse, for two reasons–first of all, they are painful, and secondly, the horse needs to be standing very still when they are done.

Remember, dressage can be pretty hard work for a horse, especially if they aren’t used to it. She may need to step down to more gentle puttering around.

Good luck.

Oh, and if I were you, I’d do some research and find a really good lameness vet before I did anything else. There are vets, and there are Vets, you will discover. I’m lucky to have a vet that understands the value of thorough diagnostics, and is also understand the value of keeping a good horse pain free and in work for as long as is feasible.

I have a horse that had back pain, he too would throw his head up when the rider moved forward or went to dismount. I vetted him, got massage, chiro, acupuncture, tried previcox, saddle fit, custom pads, worked him long and low and over cavaletti to build his back… everything for 3 years with very little improvement. It wasn’t until we xrayed his back and found damage on his withers that I had an answer.

Took me 3 years, many thou$ands, and 3 years of grief on his part when just an xray would have short cut it all.

We took up driving as a new career and are having a blast together.

So I also have a 21 year old gelding going on 22 this June who I think is in a very similar situation to yours. He was “rescued” a couple years ago after being at a place where he deteriorated to almost being put down. So now that he is healthy (but skinny) I too often think “is it pain or behavior?”. He does have arthritis and other health issues and so keeping him in a healthy load of work is essential for his health. I have him on Previcox and Adequan (but Pentosan I hear is even better for older horses but so expensive in Canada). His arthritis is a little here and a little there so these injections help overall rather than joint specific. I do also have a chiro to check on him once in a while when the budget allows. When we come across an issue I always consult my trainer. Sometime she may even get on to determine if its behavior or pain. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it!) he is usually behavior. For me he is almost always happy in his work (sometime stubborn) but he is visibly eager to work. So that is another indication. But I think the best determinants would be you, your vet and trainer. :slight_smile:

She may very well have arthritic changes in her withers.

Before you go to chiro/massage/acupuncture/etc., have a real vet come out and check her thoracic and lumbar spine. Not putting down these professionals: I am an equine massage therapist myself, but there’s very little I do, and may even worsen, bone issues if they are present in an equine client and I don’t know.

My 16 year old mare was increasingly getting grumpy under saddle, especially when asked to collect and carry herself properly (which is new for her as she was a trail string horse for many years).

The vet determined she had some very minor hock arthritis. We started her on Previcox as a trial and increased her training rides at the same time. Her attitude vastly improved :slight_smile: Since it seemed to be pain related, I’ve started the Adequan loading dose and will let the Previcox run out and see how she does. Her back is also sore, likely due to the hocks, so she has a chiropractor appointment scheduled this month.

The Previcox worked really well so you should definitely ask your vet about it. If my mare were older I would likely just keep her on it, but I want to see if it can be managed with just the Adequan for now.

I didn’t read the other thread, but it if it’s iffy, general soreness kind of stuff, I would try Previcox. I’ve been working through my mare’s soreness by strengthening, injecting hocks, injecting front coffins, bute, etc. I just put her on Previcox a couple of weeks ago. Normally I don’t see much of a difference. She seems much better. If a mild anti-inflammatory does the job, that’s good news. (She’s 16 and competing 4th.)