Unlimited access >

Is my helmet allowed on cross country?

I had always thought that the skull cap type helmets with helmet covers were just a matter of personal preference or style. Recently I was watching a vlog and the influencer was promoting her “#gifted” new skull cap. One of the features was a helmet cover with a floppy brim “so that it could be used cross country”.

Are floppy brims a requirement for eventing? I have an IRH helmet with an affixed brim, will this be allowed?

I think the floppy brim thing is a UK rule only. The fixed brim helmets are legal in the US.

5 Likes

Floppy brims are not ‘required’ for anything. There are plenty of helmets that have fixed brims that folks use on XC.

As long as the helmet is properly certified, it should be fine.

And yes, skull cap helmets are a personal preference. Folks like them because they can put a different cover on for XC and be more colorful. Just wear an approved helmet that fits properly.

2 Likes

Ok wonderful! The vlogger I mentioned is based out of England, I should have mentioned that.

I agree that skull caps are a personal preference, but I don’t think it is the covers that make it a preference since you can put pretty colored covers on any helmet, even those with a brim.

3 Likes