Unlimited access >

Is the "Block" feature broken??

I have tried 3 times the past week to enter some names in the “Block” feature and a pop up window appears “Email addresses must match”. What do I need to do differently???

The block feature has not worked since COTH has been on this platform.

4 Likes

Maybe we’ll get it back with the new board software, though!

1 Like

I hope so. I have never used it but clearly it is popular with lots of people.

OK thank you, I did not know that. I think of it like a fly swatter, it gets the bugs off the message board. 😎

4 Likes

The problem is, as those that use that ignore tab feature realize after the fact, it is only blinding them.

The one they don’t want to hear from keeps happily posting and everyone else reading and commenting.

The only one truly on ignore then becomes the one ignoring.
Most give up after a while and un-ignore again.

3 Likes

Trust me Bluey, my Ignore Wish List are posters who are who are childish, bored trolls.

3 Likes

If you get it figured out please let me know! :smiley:

1 Like

For this version of BB software, vBulletin, nothing to ‘figure out’. The feature is broken in vBullletin. Hopefully in the new software there is an ‘ignore’ that actually does ignore although Bluey does have a good point that a blanket ignore of a poster may miss something of value posted by that individual. But, I also have, at times, missed Ignore although I’ve learned to work around it and mentally ignore either a poster or a thread or a forum :lol:

1 Like

I had gotten really good at ignore… until they opened CE back up. I need to just stay out of there.

2 Likes

I

In my experience, the people I chose to use the “ignore” feature (back in the days when it worked) don’t have anything of value to say IMO, so I am happy to not have to see their posts. I used the feature sparingly though, but found it very useful for those few people I didn’t want to hear from.

1 Like

I’ve gotten pretty good at ignoring CE. When I do visit, I’ll usually scroll quickly through topics and ignore most of them out of respect for my BP. There have been a few that I’ve read (usually shortly after the topic is new), said my piece and then don’t come back :winkgrin:

2 Likes

Just realize that, there are those we don’t care for, but also those that don’t care for us.

That happens in public forums, because, well, all kinds of people and their opinions are free to post.
Those that only want to hear one side of stories can go to other social media designated just for like minded ones.

All of us will have some we like, some we don’t, others we really wish would fall into an active volcano.
Being a public forum, I guess is up to us to learn to ignore those we don’t care for on our own, as much as possible.

We have already asked for an ignore function being essential for some, so please provide us with one in the next platform.

Let’s be patient, I think we will get one.:slight_smile:

FWIW, Mod 1 said the new platform will be Discourse ( https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum/technical-assistance/help-forum/10664488-report-site-glitches-here/page23#post10729432 ) post # 445

After a bit of research, Discourse is an Open Source produce (no licensing so clanter should be happy :slight_smile: ).

Looks to be very different than what we’re used to…

1 Like

I think Bluey’s point was that if the ignore feature did work, it merely makes the ignorer blind to the target’s post but does not block them from posting. A number of posters have bemoaned their inability to “ignore” me but then sent me a “follow” request!

Despite all the complaining that the “ignore” feature does not work, I really doubt many people would use it if it did work.

@YankeeDuchess I’m not sure what’s going on with your formatting, but I could fix it by just backspacing once at the beginning of the text that was formatting strangely.

I’d like to ID why that is happening for you, but you can also see how you post will appear in the post preview box on the right side of the page while you’re composing your message, and if something looks off, you can play around with it to fix it.

Wait a minute...I'm able to reproduce that formatting if I put four spaces 
at the beginning of my text. 

So, I think that’s the problem. Are you used to spacing before your “paragraphs” when typing?

1 Like

I found the mute feature but is there no way to block posters?

And @Bluey before you say it the people I want to block have nothing to add to the horse forums so I won’t be missing anything.

@YankeeDuchess people requested to follow you to see your post history. I had the same thing happen to me.

Ignore comes with TL 2:

This trust level thing is stupid but thank you for the information. I’ll eventually figure the new forum out but lord this shift has been the most complicated. Please excuse any stupid questions.

I know it seems stupid since you’ve all been here forever, but behind the scenes in the past two days, it’s already helped to intercept around 20 spammers from ever hitting the live site. Those settings are intended to keep brand new users from doing nefarious things on the site…unfortunately, everyone is currently a “new user.”

I’m going to see if there’s anything I can do to change the settings of when you have access to block a user.

5 Likes