Unlimited access >

Is this a 10 walk? Or a lateral walk ? Or just unsound?

@dotneko please warn us if it’s an inflammatory website like dressage hub. I’m sure the video is great but I’d rather not give that woman traffic.

16 Likes

oh, sorry, it was the only one that popped up showing a lateral walk. Warning added.

2 Likes

I figured. I’m guessing by comments you are a judge? That’s awesome.

In the last couple of steps of the first video the walk gets better. That whole clip is a great example of how taking up too much contact…even though it isn’t much contact…can negatively affect a great walk. The second clip where he is allowed to really stretch out freely and forward shows a lovely walk.

1 Like

Could you explain further? From the first video it looked like the rider was just a passenger. I don’t mean that in a bad way I just mean she was letting the horse walk.

That’s how the big walk was described to me, too, except it was a tiger walk. (Just another cat.) Some trainers warned against buying a walk like this because it was harder to collect. You implied that by saying a horse like this should be ridden by a good trainer. Pushing a horse like this for too much collection too early can result in a lateral walk. I’ve seen it. I remember a trainer who turned every horse into a goose-stepper by collecting too much. It’s really easy to ruin a good walk.

1 Like

If you watch closely, in the first video as he comes around and through the corner you can see him having to swing his right hind out, and when he straightens it gets cleaner. She is using some leg as well, and isn’t just being a passenger. He is a bit too restricted in front in this clip and being asked for more contact at the walk than needed at this stage. Slow the front down and the back end has to compensate. He’s compensating by reaching out behind rather than under and fully forward. Taking up too much contact at the walk in the early stages can teach a horse to shorten and change its stride behind…and changes the timing from 1…2…3…4 to 1.2…3.4.
Clear as mud, right? :wink:

5 Likes

Marilyn Monroe walk. But I am dating myself lol

3 Likes

Exactly what I was going to say. In the first video, as they come out of the corner, the walk starts to swing better. That horse is amazing. Sitting that trot will create abs of steel.

1 Like

Does anyone know who bred Fire Kracka?

I just edited my remark because the system “fixed” my comment. A lateral walk is 12 (space)34.

1 Like

i see his right hind moving more, stretching more underneath him, than his left hind. His distances are unequal. Perhaps that is only because he is curving. I don’t count exact time between the beats/footfalls either.

I guess you and Carl Hester should go back to judging school because this horse is lame and possibly neurological :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ll call Carl and see if there is a two for one discount. I’m wondering just how many walks some have critically watched. I’m in the 30-40 thousand judged walks range conservatively. Don’t think I’ve ever scored one a zero, but I have given a 10 a few times.

8 Likes

Thank you that is very nearly 2-beat, moreso than i have seen before. The slow motion clip is still 4-beat except maybe 1-2 steps. If anyone knows the original source of the video it would be interesting to see it. What is presented as “correct” in that clip is still a slightly irregular 12(space)34 (using lorilu’s notation), so it would be interesting to see the end of the video.

Re: the other animal lateral gaits, i believe they are usually 4-beat most of the time.

Camel lateral tendency (4 beats)

Giraffe lateral tendency (4 beat)

1 Like

I have a horse who walks like that and he is not neurological nor lame. I do have to be very careful to not interfere with my seat or it goes lateral. He is an extremely loose mover even at the age of 18, always has been. Thankfully my trainer understands how to manage this type of mover.

2 Likes

60+ years ago I was a teenager and we started some colts for an Arabian breeder.
One of those was a beautiful, kind of shy light bay colt with some white.
He moved like this one, like a big cat is a great description.
He felt like riding a slinky cloud, not sure how he would have worked for a true dressage horse.
The breeder aimed his horses for endurance.
We tried some jumping and he was fenomenally athletic and very careful and scopey.
Several in our riding center were very interested in him but the breeder was not selling, he and a bigger grey colt were his favorites and not for sale.

I was about the only one that rode him, I was barely 90 lbs and a very soft rider and the instructor
kept saying he was too light and sensitive, he didn’t want him to have but the lightest ride, so as not to interfere with his awesome way of moving, poetry in motion.
I don’t remember his gait being anything but pure, huge and very forward, not lateral at all.

I have never since seen a colt like that or ridden one that feels like that, you don’t forget that ever.
Riding that colt was as close as being one, a centaur.

I wonder how this rider would say how riding this horse feels.

6 Likes

It doesn’t really matter how many you’ve looked at if you cannot tell that the walk in the first video does not have, (quoted from the FEI rules)

“The walk is a marching pace in a regular and well-marked four (4) times beat with equal intervals between each beat. This regularity combined with full relaxation must be maintained throughout all walk movements.”

Equal intervals between each beat. Not shorter between LH-LF and RH-RF and longer between LF-RH and RF- LH.

Get out a metronome. Try to set it to hit all 4 beats of that walk in the first video. It cannot be done. The second video you’d have a much better chance because the walk is clean, not lateral.

6 Likes

Can you elaborate on this and how it is used to identify a lateral tendency?

There was a thread a while ago about lateral canters. In this post, the first horse has a lateral canter and walk to a much more obvious degree than above.

I have a hard time believing that Carl Hester called that exact walk a ten. Maybe there were nicer parts of the ride or he was referring to another day like in the free walk video. I see a young stallion with a little tension that’s being exacerbated by the rider pushing him forward instead of slowing him with the seat. I don’t see a horse I would be concerned about neurological issues. This horse does have a regular as in rhythmic and supple walk, but it’s not being showcased in the video posted by OP.

2 Likes