Unlimited access >

Is this a bobcat? And other fun pics

We enjoy observing one of our trails with a couple of game cameras. Does this look like a juvenile bobcat or just a feral cat?

1f0f39f4-e365-4fc9-aedc-32ac91e01a9f

And this is a wascally wabbit
844a8dae-6abd-45e4-b7cf-d8bf649b7a54

And our resident deer herd

bb41cea9-4d76-4ae2-b2d4-42cc1521cc7d

3 Likes

I think the creature looks more canine-like as it looks like it has an elongated snout but that could also be the nose merging with the ground in the pic.

For fun, here’s the big fella we caught on our trail cam last month. No mistake it’s a bobcat. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think it’s a bobcat. The photo has some stuff in the ground behind it that makes the muzzle look longer, I think. But any views of the tail? That’s a dead giveaway!

1 Like

To me, the scale of that animal versus the rabbit, I would guess it is just a cat.

7 Likes

Agree, that and the longer weak looking back. I vote just a plain ol’ cat.

3 Likes

I posted what I have. I am going to put one of the video cameras on that path. It is interesting to see what come through.

2 Likes

Looks like a regular cat.

I think it’s more likely to be a domestic cat but it will be interesting to see if you catch more pics of it!

Here are a couple pics of a juvenile bobcat that visited my house a few years ago:

11 Likes

Without seeing the tail it’s tough to be sure, but I lean towards feral domestic cat. Partly the size, but mainly the ears. In your photo, we get a pretty good look at the back of its right ear, and it’s uniformly dark, whereas a bobcat has distinctive white patches on the back of its ears.

Notice the ears in these nighttime shots of a bobby in our woods:

4 Likes

doh, look at that sweet little baby!

2 Likes

doesnt look blocky enough for a Bobcat. Happy to be wrong. They usually have pretty good fidelity to range so you might capture again

I don’t know I still think it’s a bobcat. I see lightness on the backs of the ears and my eye is seeing a shorter tail but again the image is bad. Juvenile bobcats can be very skinny like this too, and I think I see spots on the coat (although coat pattern can be subtle at some times if the year)

Here are pics of rangy baby bobs. image

2 Likes