Unlimited access >

Is this a scam?

I have a horse listed for sale on Equine Now. I do not have my personal contact info listed on either of these sites to hopefully avoid having scammers obtain my personal email or phone number. On Wednesday I got a message from someone on Equine Now asking if my horse was still for sale. The email address was an AOL account that matched the person’s name. So I responded via the Equine Now message system stating the horse was for sale and if they had any further questions they could email me, and provided my email address.

Last night I got an email from this person from a gmail account that is not the same email they had listed in their first message. The email is info03311 at gmail. The english is a bit off and they stated they “would want to know the health condition of this horse” and asked for additional photos and videos before they proceed.

Does this sound sketchy to anyone else, or am I just being paranoid? I am hesitant to give out my phone number, but I would definitely want to speak to someone directly before selling my horse.

Sounds sketchy to me too. But maybe they don’t want to give out their personal information either. “Health condition” doesn’t sound like they are horse savvy for sure.

7 Likes

That sounds suspect to me as well.

2 Likes

I would ask myself, who has a personal e mail like this?

I would turn it around and instead of going with pictures and vids ( which may be stolen and reused to fake sell a non existent horse) ask them questions about their ability, location, trainer and goals

that will tell you pretty much what you need to know. IF need be follow up by checking about or with the trainer, particularly if they drop a name

11 Likes

@hoopoe yes, the email address definitely gave me pause. I have heard about people stealing photos and vids to make fake ads, so that was my concern for sure! I like the idea of asking them to provide more information and see what they say.

3 Likes

That sounds sketchy to me.

1 Like

Could be a scam.
Maybe ask for a reference you can check out if you think it might be a real offer.
But: No pics or vids until you check out the reference & verify it’s not another phishing trip!

2 Likes

With respect, OP, keep all communications within the Equine Now universe. Do not give your personal email, phone number or any other personal info to anyone who you don’t know personally.

The EN may be an awkward system and your personal email would be much easier. But the whole point is not to share that info.

In all honesty you’ve given this stranger an opportunity to dox you beyond what you thought was possible. They can now find your full name, address, family members, phone number … everything. Probably your employment as well. Just from your email.

And by looking at your address with google maps, they can infer much, much more about you, including how much your residence is worth, your lifestyle, etc. & so on.

Block your current contact. Hopefully they go away from such a prompt turnaround.

8 Likes

Yikes. That sounds not fun. But if that were someone’s intention, would they even bother reaching out to me once they had my email address? I would think if all you were looking for was a person’s contact info, why bother emailing them at all? Of course I am not a professional criminal, so can’t say I understand how that works lol.

The usual scam is they end up “accidentally” sending too much money, then ask for you to refund, then their cheque bounces. At this point they are trying to build trust as a legitimate buyer. But they may also be phishing for a nice package of photos to run their own scam.

All these scams originate overseas and the aim is to get cash not the thing you are selling.

8 Likes

My dearest OP. With respect and all good wishes that you have the best in life.

Do you really think that you know a scammer’s business better than a professional scammer does?

Do you really think that you are going to out-think an experienced, successful, professional scammer, who has technological tools that none of us on this thread have even heard of? (That’s the kind that will make contact with you.)

I am always mystified when ordinary citizens start these mental constructs to explain to themselves why and how they will avoid and/or out-do a scammer, burglar, pickpocket, violent predator … whatever bad guy (or girl) who is on the radar of their personal space. While dropping their guard to allow themselves the greatest ease and convenience.

All you need to do is follow strict safety procedures, and don’t overthink it. :+1: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, that makes sense as to why the person would continue to reach out even though they apparently already have enough access to ruin my life lol

I’d block them. It’s not worth it. Just like I report emails to Google from unsolicted addresses claiming they have a job offer for me and want to “interview” by text. Inevitably, they will start asking personal questions and banking info.

Yeah, I’m going with “It’s a Scam.” Sorry to be so blunt, but something very similar happened to me twice while selling nice saddles.

Here’s how it went: The scammer builds up a level of trust via sketchy correspondence. They want info and images above and beyond what’s already posted in the ad. In an effort to sound genuine, they make excuses for language barriers, why they can’t personally view the item, and why they can’t commit to timely text or emails. Ultimately there’s a hinky attempt to send money to purchase the item, which typically is an overpayment.

The end goal? Getting you to refund the overpayment. But since the scammers used a phony cashier’s check or other fraudulent methods, you’re out the money you refunded.

To be clear, I realized it was a scam both times and blocked them. But I was rather shocked that I was targeted. I never thought it’d happen to me.

3 Likes

With humble trepidation, as a person who considers herself open to other cultures and languages – the instant the phrase “language barrier” turns up in an email inquiring about an item – block it.

Other red flags (just a few):

Claims that there is distance and transport involved that weren’t part of the original ad. That’s a classic hook for a fraudulent reach for funds. If you are a seller, they claim they are far away and it needs to be shipped to them, and that’s ok because they will make the arrangements and pay the shipping, but you end up getting involved financially anyway. If you are a buyer, the item turns out to be several states away but that’s ok, they will pay shipping and will send you the money to reimburse the shipper … etc.

The price is too good to be true – as seller or buyer. It’s significantly above or below the market, and there is an urge to jump on this before someone else does. This is a huge hook for some people.

At first they are very up front about the price and the money exchange, and it is all very standard. But gradually one little ask after another comes in to make just a bit of a change to the arrangements. And it may seem to be in your favor. But – it won’t be, in the end.

If you start asking questions about things that don’t add up, a crazy story emerges to explain it all. Frequently (but not always) someone on their side of the story had to rush out of the country and all this business was left behind to be finished up, and their side doesn’t care about the price any more. They just want to get this done, and it will all be in your favor, what an opportunity for you that they are in such an unsual situation and must go through with this.

And, very importantly, you are explaining to yourself that you can see how this unusual situation could happen. Unusual situation, but yes people do get called away suddenly. There are people wealthy enough not to care if they make money or not. And especially, this is a big opportunity for you and you need to jump on it, cooperate and make it happen.

Even one of these elements is a very, very, very good reason to call it off and block all parties.

4 Likes

Years ago I was trailer shopping for a good make, used, good condition, and found an ad for one at a great price, about 100 miles from me at a Houston dealer. Lovely photos.

Condensed version: After back & forth with the ‘seller’, The Tale was that the trailer was in Florida and they were shipping it along with others from Florida to Houston because I wanted to see it and maybe buy it. I had no obligation to buy.

On the one hand, I could understand that if, after it arrived, I didn’t want it, someone else would snap it up at that price. It wouldn’t just sit on a lot in Houston.

But on the other hand !!! it’s not like trailers don’t sell in horsey Florida as fast as they do in horsey Houston !!! Plus although it wasn’t ‘cheap’, I knew that the cost of the shipping was ridiculous for the price – even though they were reassuring that they were paying.

Their answer to these questions: the ‘suddenly-called-overseas’ thing; the stack of trailers shipping to Houston already scheduled; they didn’t care if they made money; etc. & so on. The usual.

I believe facts and if things don’t make sense, there is much, much more to know before committing. It took some deep dives on the internet – but this very nice trailer at a wonderful price had been listed for sale again and again, for months. If it were real, it would have sold the first time, rapidly at that price. This great find of a trailer was nothing more than a photo and a blurb on the internet to get people to respond as I had.

I dropped communication. I used to check in on that photo from time to time and it was still going for many months, still ‘for sale’ in Houston at a price that people would have galloped to snag if it were real. Actually if I knew where my reference photo was it would be fun to check it again, all these years later … LOL

maybe not Out of Florida as trucks haul a lot of stuff Into Florida which makes little items that need to be trucked out, so a paying back haul can be favorable

Charlatans count on the mark to talk themselves into it by explaining it to themselves.

Just because something could be true in some contexts, doesn’t mean that it is true in this context. It has to be considered in the light of all of the known facts.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your responses, I will not be corresponding with this “buyer” any further.

I probably won’t bother listing on these 3rd party sites again. Equine Now is free but this is the first message I’ve gotten after my ad being up for months. I paid for a Dreamhorse ad and think I’ve only gotten one message from there too. I much prefer Facebook where people have to message you on the app and you can at least take a look at their profile and see if they look like a real person before responding.

4 Likes