Unlimited access >

Is this gullet too narrow? New question: is this saddle too small for me?

I think you’re right actually because I noticed similar cracks on the edges of the blocks. I have to admit I don’t take the most amazing care of my saddles but none of them have cracks like this, even the very very old ones. So there’s another strike against the one that fits me. Sigh.

I think I found my saddle!!! It’s an 18” Custom Fleur de Lys with a long flap, and I absolutely love the feel. I think it might need a little flocking adjustment but everything I’m capable of checking myself seems pretty good. I couldn’t get an answer on what basic shape the tree is other than “worth trying” on my horse from the brand rep. Fingers crossed it checks out with my independent fitter later this week, and then it will be Merry Christmas to me. :grin: If anyone sees any issues, please let me know before I get too excited!

(Forgot to put the girth through the keepers so the pad slipped back a little. I might need some larger saddle pads for it actually.)

2 Likes

The balance seems a tiny bit off— too low in front. Any chance you could add a couple of shims to your half pad? It may be a touch too wide which is why it’s eating your pads and looks like it’s slid back a little too. The flap should be flexible for the shoulder to slide just underneath the knee roll.

I hope it works out for you! It fits you very well from the pictures.

Thanks! I can definitely try shims but if anything I thought it might be too narrow and need a little flocking taken out at the front!? Hard to tell from pics but sliding my hand under the front of the panel it seemed perhaps a little tight.

Too narrow can certainly slide a saddle and shoot pads out the back. BTDT. A good fitter could confirm in person!

I like the fit for you here too!

1 Like

Good eye! I was totally wrong and you were right. It was too wide, not too narrow, though only by a little. My fitter was able to fit it to him beautifully with a tiny bit of adjustment in the tree press and some flocking. I’ve had this horse for 4.5 years and this is the first saddle I’ve bought him, so I feel very lucky that my previous saddles worked for so long and that I found what I wanted fairly easily.

I’m so excited! I love love love the position it puts me in and how ridiculously secure I feel. Pony has been on winter semi-vacation since our final fall HT but I think he has to go back to work because I’m excited to jump all the things. :grin:

8 Likes