Unlimited access >

Is this horse roaring?

For those who have experience with roaring. . . is this horse roaring? Also, in your experience, does roaring often cause future trouble with collection because a change in head/neck position causes extra restriction of airway? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-01r6jMJNU4

He definitely has something restrictive…worth a scope it maybe displacing palate vrs a true roar…Roarers are evaluated in degrees of flap paralysis. There are plenty of UL horse s who make some noise…You need a vet to tell you…

Get him scoped.

Thank you!

In your experience, does scope at stand-still usually find the issue, or do you usually have to have them scoped on treadmill or while moving? I will ask vet’s opinion if I get that far, obviously, but just curious about what experiences people here have had, as this horse is in a different state and scoping would be PPE. Thank you!

I don’t know that he is roaring as much as he is green and tense and not fit. Yeah he is making a noise but it could be caused by any number of reasons. No way to tell by the video. It does really depend but I’ve know few who roared and most were fixable but it wasn’t an issue until 2* level and that is when most I know it was addressed as the horses were being aimed above a 2*.

And most will scope while they are breathing hard and can tell a lot but not everything. Scoping is not very expensive to have done as part of a PPE. And if it worries you, have it done early in the PPE.

Scoping at my most recent ppe cost me $65.

Worth getting early on like BFNE says.

Em

[QUOTE=TBmares;8997023]
In your experience, does scope at stand-still usually find the issue, or do you usually have to have them scoped on treadmill or while moving?[/QUOTE]

Structural and inflammatory problems, as well as obvious evidence of prior surgeries, will be apparent at rest. Certain kinds of dynamic problems may not be.

He sounds like “high blower” to me. The noise is occurring as the horse exhales. A roarer makes a noise when the horse inhales.

I have had several horses who were high blowers. Personally I liked it because the sound gave me the rhythm that the horse was cantering at. If the blowing increased, the horse was going faster and I needed to steady so I could find my distance.

Another way you can tell the difference is to free lunge the horse in a round pen until he is breathing hard. A roarer will lift his head and neck in an effort to “straighten out his airway” so more air can go through. A high blower will not.

I have never met a judge who confused the 2 – especially a R judge Perhaps less experienced judges at schooling shows might. But the difference is really easy to distinguish.

PS: I have a horse who was a roarer. He had 2 surgeries: 1. at Rood and Riddle where they did a tieback surgery. (Tieing back the flap which opens and closes as the air goes past the vocal chords (the sound means that the flap is partially or totally paralyzed and the air, going by the vocal chord ‘hits’ the flap (which should have opened all the way to let the air through). If the surgery is done before the flap is completely paralyzed, then it can fail since there is still movement in the flap, which loosens the sutures.

A laser surgery (my horse’s 2nd surgery) performed at the Marion DuPont hospital actually lasered off the flap so it cannot regrow or go back to it’s prior position.

In my horse’s case, he never made a noise again when jumping a course or doing a dressage test. But when he got up to Prelim level eventing, he made a noise and just plain did not have enough air to keep galloping at the speed required.

PS: If you ever have a horses which is truly a roarer ONLY have the surgery done at a large medical center – preferably near a racetrack – where the surgeons are really experienced. A local vet or a small medical center may not do enough surgeries to do a good job. And that can result in a horse who inhales his food into his lungs and requires a lot of maintenance and special care for the rest of his life.

There is a distinct difference between a Hi Blow and a Roar…that’s not a rhythmical blow…but a better video indoors would make it distinguishable.

This is a New Vocations horse. You can’t do a PPE unless you purchase the horse and do it within their 30 day return policy, they usually are pretty good with their own vetchecks.

It looks like she’s now privately owned and for sale.

Thank you everyone, for your responses!

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;8997190]
I don’t know that he is roaring as much as he is green and tense and not fit. Yeah he is making a noise but it could be caused by any number of reasons. No way to tell by the video. It does really depend but I’ve know few who roared and most were fixable but it wasn’t an issue until 2* level and that is when most I know it was addressed as the horses were being aimed above a 2*.[/QUOTE]

This.
As he got more tense and crooked, the more noise he made. Actually, my own horse does this, I’ve only had him a couple months and he was very unfit. I have not had him scoped yet- I wanted to see what happened as he got fitter. It has improved drastically.

The only way to diagnosis a “roarer” is to have them scoped. Some horses who roar are very loud but might actually be low on the number scale for roaring. The sound does not determine how bad of a roarer they are, having them scoped does. It is all about the percentage of paralyzed tissue. If the horse is unfit it might be louder or more noticeable, just like if I was unfit and tried to run 5 miles. I had to retire my mare from eventing because she roared (she was not a candidate for surgery) and that with her allergies made it harder for her to breathe. I will always get a scope done on a PPE after my experience.

I had my mare scoped for $100. The scope was done in the cross ties and my sane mare did not need sedation.

The scope easily showed that she has partial laryngeal hemiplegia (partial roarer) and dorsal displacement of the soft palate (she flips it around).

It doesn’t have a huge impact on her our lives but I’m not a big eventer, and she’s not a race horse. She does grunt when we trail ride though, to the rhythm of “3 blind mice”. Well worth the $100.