Unlimited access >

ISO Barn Close to Baltimore

I am living in downtown Baltimore (Locust Point area) and need to find a barn for my kiddo that’s less than a 45 minute drive. Only non-negotiable ask is an indoor arena. We would prefer an eventing-friendly environment and instructor on the premises, but willing to travel to train with someone close-by.
Any tips and recommendations from locals would be very much appreciated!

I would avoid Hawks Hollow Farm in Kingsville and All in Stride- PM if you need details.

Graham and Capall Milis are both good but neither have indoors (which hasn’t been a problem unless there are heavy downpours or ice).

Bay View Farm is nice but may be on the pricey side (not sure what your budget is). Paddock Place may also be a place to consider.
I’m sure there are others but I can’t think of them at the moment.

I board mine at Forest View Farms in Forest Hill- Morgan Cillo runs her eventing training and lesson business out of it and co-manages the farm. It’s a great group of people, Morgan takes people out to go XC schooling and hacking regularly (as in almost every week during the summer), they attend events all summer long, and everyone is very supportive of each other. My older horse events with one of her students, and although I do the jumpers with my young horse I can’t imagine boarding with anyone else.

Oh, and there is a good group of kids there!

I’m not sure if we have any openings (we are usually full) but Morgan can be reached at 443.752.2952.

I second lydiakt’s recommendation against All in Stride, by the way.

Thank you so much! And I appreciate the advice re: places to avoid!

I live in Locust Point as well and I keep my horse at Tranquility Manor Farm in Jacksonville. There is a indoor, however it’s a bit of a hack from the barns. I haven’t had him there long, but by far he’s the happiest out of all the places I have boarded.

I would recommend Waredaca! Work with Steph Butts. It’s a beautiful place with an indoor, it’s own cross country course, and lots of trails. It might be a bit of a drive for you though…

[QUOTE=wizzie;8742582]
I live in Locust Point as well and I keep my horse at Tranquility Manor Farm in Jacksonville. There is a indoor, however it’s a bit of a hack from the barns. I haven’t had him there long, but by far he’s the happiest out of all the places I have boarded.[/QUOTE]

I have them on my list to check out, thanks for the recommendation!

[QUOTE=vnicky14;8743146]
I would recommend Waredaca! Work with Steph Butts. It’s a beautiful place with an indoor, it’s own cross country course, and lots of trails. It might be a bit of a drive for you though…[/QUOTE]

I have heard from several people that finding time to ride at Waredaca is difficult because of the lesson schedules? The drive is a bit far, but definitely doable.

Not sure what’s going on with An Otherwise Perfect Farm in Upperco, but it does have XC facilities and an indoor.

Is Petticoat’s Advance still there (near An Otherwise Perfect Farm)? I boarded there 15 years ago (!!) when I needed an indoor to rehab a tendon through the winter, and although they mostly had a dressage focus at that time, care was excellent and it was easy to get to other places from there to do XC.

Playland Farm in Union Bridge has good care and a beautiful indoor.

[QUOTE=pologirl27;8743847]
Not sure what’s going on with An Otherwise Perfect Farm in Upperco, but it does have XC facilities and an indoor.[/QUOTE]

AOPF is slightly outside of our price range, unfortunately. And they are in the midst of a possible transition so not exactly sure what is going on. Thanks for the suggestion!

[QUOTE=AKB;8744796]
Playland Farm in Union Bridge has good care and a beautiful indoor.[/QUOTE]

Playland is over an hour, unfortunately! Would love to board there…

[QUOTE=Grasshopper;8743933]
Is Petticoat’s Advance still there (near An Otherwise Perfect Farm)? I boarded there 15 years ago (!!) when I needed an indoor to rehab a tendon through the winter, and although they mostly had a dressage focus at that time, care was excellent and it was easy to get to other places from there to do XC.[/QUOTE]

Looks like they are still there, according to their website. Will definitely check them out, thank you!

I board at Waredaca; they do run lessons in the evenings and on weekends. On weekends there is always an hour midday set aside for boarders - it’s rarely crowded. Lessons end around 4 usually.
Weekday nights can be harder in winter.

I currently live in the Inner Harbor (a couple blocks north of the aquarium), just put an offer on a house in Locus Point! I get right on 95 and have my barn in Woodbine/Lisbon area. Takes 40/45 minutes. You are welcome to swing by and check it out! Sunset Hill Farm. My contact info is DGEventing@gmail.com. I have a small barn, but a great team with no drama!

[QUOTE=aghorton;8738652]
I am living in downtown Baltimore (Locust Point area) and need to find a barn for my kiddo that’s less than a 45 minute drive. Only non-negotiable ask is an indoor arena. We would prefer an eventing-friendly environment and instructor on the premises, but willing to travel to train with someone close-by.
Any tips and recommendations from locals would be very much appreciated![/QUOTE]

You should try sunset hill farm in woodbine, MD! It’s a great location, beautiful farm with 2 jumping rings, an indoor ring, dressage ring and trails. I’ve been boarding there for years and love it; especially my trainer Kate Chadderton. Check it sunset hill eventing on Facebook or their website www.sunsethillfarm.com

[QUOTE=amygaynor1@comcast.net;8758008]
You should try sunset hill farm in woodbine, MD! It’s a great location, beautiful farm with 2 jumping rings, an indoor ring, dressage ring and trails. I’ve been boarding there for years and love it; especially my trainer Kate Chadderton. Check it sunset hill eventing on Facebook or their website www.sunsethillfarm.com[/QUOTE]
Oops it’s www.sunsethilleventing.net and www.katehadderton.com