Unlimited access >

It Is Cold-Ideas For Clothes

Great advice so far!

As a Finnish person said, “there’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes”. An I believe it! I learned to dress for the cold in cold climates when riding.

I wear cheaper fleece breeches when cold, because I can’t afford the expensive ones. I never complain about them - you don’t have to spend a lot to be warm. I have a heavier-weight knee patch fleece breech which I’ve never been cold in. They are also relatively wind-proof because the fleece is on the inside and the outer layer is smooth. When cold, I wear them or regular breeches with bona-fide wool ski socks. With knee high thick wool ski socks - my legs aren’t cold! Some wool ski socks are thin enough to ride with under dress boots. I have two pairs of paddocks made for cold weather - Ariat Frostbiters I got in Pgh and slightly lighter-weight Ariat…H2O?.. (I can’t remember but they are lined for cold weather).

Gloves. I Love Love Love Roeckl Polartec Power Stretch Pro. They are warm, stretchy and grippy enough for somewhat cold weather. When really cold, I use the bulkier (I can’t remember who makes them but they’re called) Winter Training Glove. They have less padding on rein side of the rein fingers and more on the outside to make them feel less bulky. The cheap-o approach is to wear tight fingerless “undergloves” or even you can make your own by cutting finger and a thumb hole from knee high nylons.

On my body, I wear a cheap cotton/nylon tight camisole, then a turtleneck and then a sweater over that for layers. Depending on the weather, a riding coat over that or maybe just a riding vest. When really cold, I wear silk undershirts or turtlenecks, or wool undershirts.

On my head, I will wear a fleece headband but I really really love the Kerrits fleece headband because it it THIN and fits so well under my helmet. The headbands for skiing or other things aren’t so thin and can be bulky under my helmet. That said, I wore them for years until this year I discovered the Kerrits headband.

In addition, I have a super-cheap silk scarf that I’ll use around my neck that is so freakishly warm.

I know you do not have to have a lot of money to dress warmly!

Good luck!

2 Likes

Just want to say that I 100% agree with everything stated here. Aside from boots and breeches I don’t wear anything from equestrian brands - the outdoors brands are so much better. I’ve learned to look for articulated elbows for riding comfort in jackets. You pay for it, but Arc’teryx is aces at this. They have a used section on their website that makes the prices a bit easier to swallow. They make my absolute favorite winter riding vest, the Atom LT Vest. It breathes, weighs nothing and has no bulk, but is somehow super warm. For base layers, I am a total wool freak and can kit myself out in an entire wool outfit, even my bra and underwear lol In addition to riding year round in the Northeast, I do a lot of backcountry horse trekking where you have to wear the same few items of clothes for days through different weather and temperatures and wool is the absolute best for breathability, wicking, warmth, and not stinking to high heaven. Icebreaker and Ibex are my favorite wool brands. They are worth the investment, as they are well made and will last, but if you are looking for a lower price point you can find quality used stuff on Poshmark.

The Kerrits WindPro Breeches are my go-to. Pull-on, comfy, warm, not too expensive, and hold up well. I buy a size up because I like them to feel more like sweatpants. It has to be in the single digits for me to feel even slightly cold in these.

I also wanted to add that, instead of buying specialized insulated riding boots, I picked up a pair of $50 used but still in good shape tall boots that are a size too big in both the foot and the calf. I can wear my thickest cozy tall wool socks in these and my feet stay nice and warm. They work for me both on and off the horse unless I’m sloshing through a deep muddy pasture where you’d want rubber boots anyway.

5 Likes

I love my Arctic Horse riding skirt. I was surprised at how warm it really is. I also use it in the car. lol. It doesn’t have as much static as some materials.

I have discovered that a pair of yoga pants over silk long johns is doable. And I totally agree about going to outdoor stores like REI for top layers is the only way to stay financially solvent. You can get the same layers at a vastly lower price point than layers with riding logos.

I am learning!
Sheilah

Thanks for the tip - I hadn’t even thought about Uniqlo for base layers (we don’t have many of their stores up here north of the border, so they aren’t top of mind).

They had a Boxing Week sale on and I was able to get several Heattech layers for under $25 (CAN) each. I ordered yesterday and they’ve already shipped. I normally wear Under Armour ColdGear that I pick up at an outlet store, so they’re somewhat more reasonably priced. I’m interested to see how these compare.

Another tip, don’t known if it’s been mentioned, but when buying winter boots, go up a half size. You can wear thicker socks, and it just seems to make a big difference for whatever reason, just having a little extra room makes my feet not get cold quickly.

2 Likes

As it gets colder and wetter hear I’m starting to think there is almost nothing that will work when it’s actually sleeting.

Yes, these are amazing. Both for keeping fingers defrosted and for toes. I use the normal ‘hand’ hot hands for my feet, not the specialty toe version. Costco usually has a large box for sale for the start of the season.

I find I can scrunch my toes a bit and fit them in my boots. They sit right underneath my toes and keep them from getting cold. Pretty amazing how much heat such a little thing can let out. Especially helpful for long trail rides in the winter.

Agreed on the Uniqlo recommendation. I recently tried their mock neck heattech ultra warm base layers and they are fantastic. Super soft, not too clingy (I find Under Armour can feel a bit too spandex-y for my taste) and they wash up well. Great recommendation, thank you. PS Uniqlo ships to Canada with duties included, but the sizing tends to run a little small.

For jodhs I prefer Sticky Seat windpro to the Kerrits- I have both. The Sticky Seats are far more comfortable in the waist and the waist stays up instead of rolling as the Kerrits do. Sticky Seats move better especially if I put long johns underneath.

For socks, I use wool (various weights depending on weather) but for the coldest weather I have a pair of thick alpaca socks. Those are the warmest ever and a must have for when it dips below -15C/5F.

Uniqlo has stores in Canada now.

1 Like

I’m a total wimp about cold!

My new favorite, recommended by my cousin who went to Antartica:

https://smile.amazon.com/Turtle-Fur-Heavyweight-Fleece-Warmer/dp/B00069HFIK/ref=pd_ybh_a_19?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QS5PP61CCX7SG7KG1VNY

Wear as a neck warmer, pull up to cover your ears, mouth, and nose… also doubles as a mask if you forget yours when you go into a store. :wink:

I also swear by these. I use the smaller ones that sit under the toes. They do not compromise boot fit at all. In a pinch, I’ve used the hand warmer ones shoved down in the toe of my boot.

https://smile.amazon.com/HotHands-H162080-Toe-Warmers/dp/B07J33BF7V/ref=pd_sim_468_4/137-9112170-3321928?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07J33BF7V&pd_rd_r=c7b71434-689a-4f73-83ed-31df6873dcf6&pd_rd_w=yDs4t&pd_rd_wg=kDvcN&pf_rd_p=52622570-ce87-4046-87cf-402c2bd33577&pf_rd_r=ND9XJMWVB4BYRP64CD9A&psc=1&refRID=ND9XJMWVB4BYRP64CD9A

I have a fleece cover for my helmet that has face coverings that close with velcro. It keeps my cheeks and nose from freezing. I try to keep riding during the winter, but I am really feeling the cold and it hasn’t even gotten that bad yet.

My bestie got me some silk long johns/leggings for under my breeches and my stinker of a son purloined them.
Sheilah

If you order from the Canadian website, they ship from Mississauga ON. No duties :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve tried Uniqlo heattech, but it just felt like any cotton blend long sleeve shirt to me. I recently purchased REI’s merino base layers quarter zip top (which contrary to what’s stated above are more expensive than any riding-specific shirt I’ve bought), and feel warmer in those.
For breeches, I’ve been happy with my Ovation Winter Breeches, but I don’t think they sell them anymore. (I also have Kerrits, but just the fleece lite not the warmer Windpro, and Irideon which has a regular sock bottom which is not warm.) I also have Ovation blizzard boots, and they are warm but also quite loose and bulky.
Of course it’s all relative, my cold days are upper 30s but I’m a big wimp :rofl:

1 Like

Right. I’m freezing to death over here. It’s 40 degrees out. I’m off to look for wool leggings.

1 Like

i love frogg togs for top layer in sleet. They’re soooo lightweight and flexible, and impervious to rain (until they get too worn). I go through a pair a winter. I buy them large and layer two alpaca sweaters and a wicking turtleneck underneath on top and a pair of yoga tights or (thermals if it’s below 20) and pair of fleece pants (from the dollar store) underneath on bottom.

I’ll echo a lot of what has already been said:

Kerrits WindPro breeches - the windpro part really makes the difference. I got a pair of fleece lined leggings by Avalanche from TJMaxx/ Marshall a few weeks ago that are just as warm so far and so much cheaper.

A parka - I have an Eddie Bauer one (2 actually one for the barn and one for regular people things) and I swear the extra coverage on my legs really makes a difference. I have no problem riding in mine, don’t know about jumping though.

Underarmour heat gear - wicks sweat and SO warm without being bulky.

Insulated boots - I have a pair of Ariat Coniston pros that I really like. They make a huge difference keeping the toes warmer.

Hot hands - I finally tried taping a pair to the top of my socks to keep my toes warm today while clearing some acreage and it made ALL this difference. My feet didn’t get hot or stay noticeably or uncomfortably warm but they were noticeably not cold.

Heated vest - so amazing. Makes the 3 hour farrier visit of standing still actually tolerable when the real feel is below 20. I even wear it in the house to heat up faster after being outside for a while.

Keep your ears and neck covered with your choice of covering (hat, ear warmers, headband, etc). It makes a huge difference.

3 Likes

I’m in northern Illinois and it gets cold. Sometimes the barn is colder than outside! I’ll preface this by saying I ride 3 or 4 times a week with one of those a lesson. I putter around First Level. And I don’t care what I look like at the barn. A few weeks ago I discovered the joys of riding in jogging pants. Not sweat pants. Cut closer than sweat pants and more fitted. I wear Cuddl Dud long underwear under the pants. Half chaps. Top layers is with a turtleneck with a a vest on top, or an Under Armour or SmartWool top. I have a CarHarrt polyfill coat and if it’s really cold I wear my barn jacket (I think it’s Champion brand). Always a scarf, hat and gloves. I have Ariat winter paddock boots (a few years old so I have no idea the brand). I hate socks so I wear either regular crew socks or very thin socks.

Our club room is heated to about 60 so if I get cold I head there to warm up. I don’t hang around much during the winter, maybe only 2 hours if I ride, and hour if I’m just grooming.

1 Like

Best socks ever! And they come in different weights for different temperatures. They don’t last forever, but it is so worth it to stock up.

My addition to this is earbags. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5012-429/Earbags-Bandless-Earwarmers?colour=BK000&gclid=Cj0KCQiA34OBBhCcARIsAG32uvP6BBGpF0SIL_zxHqHZam69aSewUXzGtUBr9idf-Rr1SokSdrktHu0aAh3gEALw_wcB They will not let any cold air into any part of your ear and stay on with no headband of any kind. Super invention. Great for wearing with a helmet. And, if you have difficulty keeping your toque down over your earlobes, wear earbags AND a toque and you’ll be good.

1 Like