Unlimited access >

Itemized farrier bill

If I have a vet appt, my invoice shows (for example) the exam fee, trip charge, the list of products or services etc.

Every farrier I have ever worked with it’s just a “how much do I owe you?” verbal reply is “X” amount.

Does anybody’s farrier give a bill that is broken down to labor, trip charge and supplies?

Yes. Both of my farriers sent itemized bills (with things like studs, borium, and pads broken out separately). That said, I’m in a high COL area, and I think they feel like they need to justify what they charge.

My farrier uses quickbooks, so I get an email invoice through quickbooks where it is itemized for each horse. It’s very nice to pay electronically through Intuit!

1 Like

It has been a long time since I had a farrier that gave me an invoice since I pay cash at the time of service.

I can see a farrier having an itemized bill if you are doing anything extra, like someone mentioned above (studs, borium, pads, etc.).
For a normal shoe job I imagine it is not typical for them to have a labor line and a line for nails and a line for the shoes, etc.

If the farrier charges a travel fee then I suppose that would be a line item too. Some farriers do not charge a separate travel fee, they work it into their other prices.

3 Likes

Yes, my farrier sends an itemized bill (well, his wife does! Lol). It helps me understand the reason for the hit to my wallet. I pay through Venmo, so I like the electronic ‘paper trail’ that I have from each transaction.

I’ve had both. The ones that were/are verbal only will itemize if asked.

Nope, I’ve never had a farrier invoice. I pay via Venmo or cash. I will say, however, the farrier that does a bulk group for the barn owner, he invoices them. So, he does do it for those who need it, I suppose. I have never seen it, but I would doubt it would be very detailed.

Thanks!

I’m in a situation where my bill has gone from $150 for plain steel shoes all the way around to $350. Granted that is with equipak pour in pads on fronts but I can buy the cartridges for $60 total. He also has wedges but that is the price whether he re-uses those pads or not. I’m not sure where the additional $140 is coming from (other than what I would expect would be a small increase in labor)

I have never had pour in pads but I watch them do it at the vet when I am up there getting my mare done. There is a whole lot more labor involved when they do pour in pads. If I recall correctly the feet have to be dried off, they have to apply some mesh on the bottom of the foot, squirt in the stuff, wrap saran wrap around the foot and wait for the stuff to set up. Usually two people are involved with the process. So you are paying for the extra labor, extra time and the education and expertise to do it correctly. So you could do it yourself but it probably wouldn’t work out so well.

9 Likes

Your post made me giggle.
I am paying for plain steel shoes…well except for this or and except for that.

You are not just paying for the $60 cartridge for the pour in pads, you are paying for the know how to use the product correctly for you horse.

Have you asked your farrier about the billing? Not “can I have an itemized bill” but simply what the add is for the wedge and for the pour in pads".
I am betting they will gladly say "Pour in pads are an additional $x and the wedge is an additional $y.

I don’t find that pricing to be crazy but…

7 Likes

no drying, no mesh, he slap some duct tape around the heel and squeeze the gun, and the horse steps down on a piece of Styrofoam. it takes him about 30 seconds to do a hoof. I am tempted to do it myself!

I think you will have to buy an application gun but if it works you will be ahead of the game. You can always try.

Same. For pour ins, our farrier holds the hoof while squirting in the solution, then he places a piece of thin styrofoam on the hoof, presses to make sure there is even contact with the solution, and sets it down. Lets it set up for a minute and then removes the styrofoam piece.

Oh and while my tone probably sounds like I’m slagging on my farrier, that isn’t my intention I do appreciate him. And he knows that this price point isn’t sustainable (for any of his clients) for forever. So I am sure he would be open to any of my suggestions.

Four steel shoes, pour in pads, wedges… $350 is not so outrageous. It sounds like he was undercharging you for a long time and has now corrected his prices.

Seven years ago the barn I managed was using a journeyman farrier that charged $375 for four plain steel shoes. I’d say your farrier’s prices are in line with market costs today.

You are very lucky to have only paid $150 for all of that for years. I haven’t paid $150 for four shoes in years. Front shoes alone are $150 here, no rims or whistles.

6 Likes

I agree with this.

3 Likes

Me too.

2 Likes

Agreed, although I’m sure it varies based on area. Around here four shoes without extras run from $350 to $475.

1 Like

And prices on truck repairs, oil changes, fuel-especially diesel, have really shot up. He can’t be expected to eat those, either. A good farrier is worth his or her weight in plutonium. I expect the price of steel is going up, too.

2 Likes

I’m in NC and that is about the average for just steel at least among the people I know. I would imagine it’s more up North for sure.