Unlimited access >

It's Coooollldd! Lets Vent!

The wind started at 2 AM flinging branches at the house. The power went off briefly. I am really glad it came back on because the wind was too high to have linesmen in bucket trucks fixing anything and it would have been a while!

We have a wood stove so it’s 75 in the front room. “Free heat” hahahaha … not after buying the land and trees, the chainsaws, the log splitter, and doing all that work!

6 Likes

Good grief! Is that F or C?

C … although at this temperature F & C are nearly the same, just a couple degrees difference.

I was driving home from the farm and my vehicle display said it was -29 and my reflexive thought was “Oh look, it’s getting warm!”

2 Likes

Furnace is dead, it’s the board. Nice.

2022 can suck it.

3 Likes

Sending positive vibes. :heartpulse:

They never can die on a normal winter day during business hours.

1 Like

Not nearly as cold as some of you, but we went from 60s to 13 last night + wind chill = feels like 0°. I have been going out every 4 hours round the clock to bust ice and check on the critters. That wind is damn cold.

Oh, and our pipes froze last night. Hopefully we’ll have water on Christmas day at the latest.

1 Like

Well shit. Here’s hoping you can get a 24 hour service out ASAP. Stay warm.

2 Likes

I think you’re in my area - NW IN?
Call Summers 219-312-2657
They claim 24H service & have done good work for me.
:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:This craptastic weather won’t stop them coming to you.

3 Likes

Holy cow! I couldn’t take those temps… I don’t think it’s going to make much difference but at least wait til the sun is out.

They’re booked until Monday, they said.

I’m in Alabama. It’s about 15 F right now…

This morning, the tank heater for the horse’s water tank was fine. Everyone was drinking ok. Late today, after they had dinner, only Archie headed to the tank to drink. I scooped a big bucket of water out and set it beside the big tank. Chip drank it dry. Then I noticed the pawed areas at the base, indicating he and maybe others wanted to drink today but it wasn’t comfortable ( the tank was half empty, they did drink, but weren’t relaxed about it). At some point today, the heater fried and melted itself to the outdoor rated heavy gauge extension cord. Tested the tank, 2 Volts of stray voltage in the water. Nothing a human can feel…but horses aren’t people.

Unplugged it all, and will tackle anew tomorrow.

It pays to pay attention; horses can sense a far lower range of stray voltage than us mere humans. And yeah, Archie’s numb apparently lol.

5 Likes

There has got to be some kind of HVAC service with a 24-hour call thing in your area. Granted… I don’t know how much it will cost… and a lot of them have spare parts including boards on their trucks ready to go

My HVAC company tries every something-not-working visit to sign me up to an annual fee program for summer and winter inspections, prioritized emergency service calls, and no night or weekend or holiday overtime rate charges. Now I am reconsidering.:thinking:

2 Likes

I guess it depends on how much your stuff breaks or how old it is or if any of it is still under warranty? We lucked out that the guy had just bought the new unit a year or so before we bought this house so when the house transferred owners it went from a ten year warranty to a five year but still better than nothing. The one time the unit indoors and outdoors went completely out it was freezing cold out and my son was watching my daughter that next day. I work for a general contractor so I called our HVAC guy that we use all the time at six in the morning and he had someone out by eight, my kids were not even fully awakened the house was back being warm. Again thank God for small miracles! It went out with the outdoor unit a couple times before and the person who originally installed it came out and fixed it at no cost because he felt bad for us since he knew that the guy that owned this house previously should have put a bigger unit in but was being stingy and would not spend the money even though he had it.

Ouch :persevere:
I’ll tell you Downing is one I’d not call again.
But if they can come in this mess, I’d make an exception.
Hope you find someone ASAP!

The space heaters seem to be holding the temperature around 53f, more than enough. Good news. Can’t wait to see my electric bill.

The furnace is RUUD, which is Rheem. The Rheem distributor closed at noon yesterday. I’m torn - I know everyone is excited for the Christmas weekend, but the weather situation precludes special early departures. Their emergency line was called, they did not return the call.

I called everyone local and not so local, no luck.

I jumped every limit and pressure switch on the damn thing. No dice. The board was still flashing there was a limit switch that was open, which it wasn’t because I had the wires touching.

At any rate. It is what it is for now. I’ll get ahold of some Rheem dealer. Or I’ll walk into a parts distributor and scream until they sell me something (will only typically sell to hvac companies).

Can you call any electricians that might beable to jumo or check a wire that they may have knowledge about? Post on fb maybe someone knows an hvac guy and can give you a cell number? Electricians and hvac go hand in hand in construction, an electrician emergency call may get you an off hours but can still do something for hvac guy number as well.

Well my fixed wireless Wi-Fi has been out for 30 hours. It’s finally telling me the SIM card in the dish is out. Frozen like a rock I presume. Read books, watch dvds, play cards and do puzzles to go lightly on the data plan.

1 Like

What phone carrier do you have? Most have unlimited plans these days that are pretty economical. Also I wonder if they will cut you a break?! Or if your internet provider will credit you anything for time during the outtage?

If you call a reputable service provider, they should be able to contact someone to open the warehouse for you.