Unlimited access >

Japanese Bred White Filly Sodashi Wins Breeder's Cup Berth

6 Likes

Not only is that filly an exceptional racehorse who could truly kick off a line of successful white horses, her pedigree is stacked for sport.

1 Like

The colors of horses and discussion of the genetic causes and definitions kind of makes my head buzz; it’s complicated. I find it so interesting though, to look at the history. Shirayukhime (https://www.pedigreequery.com/shirayukihime), Sodashi’s granddam, was a white mare resulting from Sunday Silence, a black stallion and Wave Wind, a dark bay/brown mare. I’m sure many of you have it clear in your minds what the relationship is between white and black on a horse genetics level, but my head doesn’t retain that knowledge, even though I’ve read about it before.

I can’t find it now, but I think I saw that her time was 1:32 and change. If that was a true mile, that is really fast. Wondering if it was 1600 meters, which is 5249 feet.

The pedigree is there and getting better (I think) each generation, from her maternal granddam who originated this White mutation. I sure hope so!

It’s a new White mutation.

White (of which there are over 30 testable mutations, only some of which are public tests, not counting all the untestable mutations) is on the KIT gene, which is pretty unstable and mutates a lot. It already has Roan Sabino1, and Tobiano

TBs and STBs seem to produce new W mutations on a relatively regular basis. Other breeds do as well, like QHs, but with the heavy influence of TBs in the QH I’m not sure if that’s related