Unlimited access >

Jean Luc Cornille--no stretching?

I attended a biomechanics lecture by one of his students/ instructors(?). She has taken his classes. Let’s just say less than impressed. I do study biomechanics as part of saddle fitting, so I have a pretty decent understanding of the topic. It might have just been not what I was looking for in a clinic. However I felt like they presented the topics in a very convoluted way. It was confusing for most of the other people. I felt like they skipped the basic part of teaching of creating a common knowledge to build on and skipped straight to the hard part with no background.

I was personally appalled that she said she has to spend weeks studies his first lecture it “get it”. If that is the first lecture, either he does not know how to teach or the info is way to confusing.

1 Like

Eloquently said. There are a lot of sheep out there. Not to start a train wreck, but this sounds as bad as the Parelli people.

4 Likes

I knew someone who only used an inside side rein when she lunged her horse. It made no sense to me as her horse ended up bulging to the outside. Is this something that this JLC advocates? I know it was some French guy she got this idea from.

Oh my. That horse does not look happy. Ears back (and not in an “I’m listening to my rider” way) the whole time.

1 Like

@Event_Horse

That inside side rein guy is likely Dominique Barbier. I audited a clinic of his years ago when I was just starting dressage. Friends of friends were organizing it. I dont think anyone kept up the one side rein thing very long. He was very much a one trick pony.

2 Likes

Thanks! I thought it sounded like a ridiculous idea, and watching the other boarder using that technique confirmed it.

Interesting article that may help understanding;
https://eclectic-horseman.com/balance-vs-motion-in-dressage/

Only the bottom feeders demand slavish loyalty to either method.

4 Likes

This. At first I was thinking “Who?” And then I Googled and immediately went, “Ohhhh, yeah. That guy.”

If you like spending time listening to a guy preaching stuff and walking around endlessly on your horse, go for it.

This is Kool-aid 101.

4 Likes

Don’t forget him shilling his saddles that are the ONLY saddles in the whole world that allow your horse to move biomechanically correct. Also, by coincidence, he is the only representative in the US who can acquire one for you - that will be $7000 please!

2 Likes

I was a little confused why the barn is advertising it - at great expense - as it it were a selling feature. Is there a big market for this kind of stuff in Canada? It seems a bit…out there…

Many people are searching for new and better ways to do things, and not all of those seekers have the experience to detect obfuscation and inflated promises.

Many barns are trying to distinguish themselves from the pack too.

I expect some trainer or barn owner was pulled into JLC and decided to set up a link.

5 Likes

So true. I discovered JLC several years ago, and I’ll admit that at the beginning I was quite interested. I was a broke college kid at the time, and so fortunately didn’t waste spend any money on his products, nor did I live anywhere near places he gave clinics to spend money auditing that way. For awhile I thought that if I just knew more about horse anatomy/musculature and biomechanics, then I’d understand what he was saying and it would all make sense.

Over time though, I still couldn’t make sense of what he was saying despite considerable effort on my part to learn terminology/look up muscles etc, and the physics of some of the things that I COULD understand didn’t make sense (I majored in physics, so I’m not completely dense). Then I watched some of his clinics online. Completely unintelligible. The riders never seemed to actually understand wtf he was on about, they just kept smiling and nodding and walking on (not sure I’ve ever seen anyone in his clinics move past a walk). Any improvement he claimed was happening seemed to just be random.

The guy could be sitting on a gold mine of knowledge but, thick french accent aside, if you’re unable to communicate your knowledge effectively then you’re as good as useless, and (in this case) probably just a shill.

I did eventually come across a barn that regularly hosts clinics with him last year, and briefly considered auditing, just as a last ditch maybe-its-not-completely-koolaid thing, and then learned that the BO is a Reiki practitioner and promises to make your horses magically sound with her happy healing energy that she thinks at your horse. Hard pass.

10 Likes

Yes!

One of the things about being in the midst of your college education is that you are constantly having to stretch to comprehend new theories and concepts, and trust that it will all cohere some day. That can make it hard to dismiss someone like JLC.

By the time I returned to riding I had a PhD in a very theory heavy discipline from a theory heavy school :slight_smile: and by the time I ran across JLC I’d picked up enough grounding in biomechanics and conformation elsewhere. I think JLC has imbibed some of the taste for abstraction and polemic that has always permeated French cultural theory and philosophy, and that can slide into obfuscation rather quickly. I did sit down and try to read his stuff several times whrn he came to my notice, but I had to conclude that he wasn’t coherent. And I had the confidence at that point to see where logic failed in any given text.

4 Likes

That was a helpful synopsis. Thanks!

The general dichotomy between French and German schools, as well as where that comes from in terms of history and the differences between the selectively-bred, somewhat specialized horses each system is meant to help, are what I had gathered from many sources.

As someone with a sensitive, smart-as-a-whip, light breed horse, whose built just a tad downhill, it made sense to me to find someone who leaned toward the French way of training. The mare has done really well with it. She is quite burly and strong… and built most of that strength at the walk and a very “small” trot.

A couple of people have helped me, including one who (quietly) lists Cornille as one of her teachers. So I have dipped a toe into a version of this. In our discussions, she’ll admit to being gentler on a horse in terms of the kind of precise ride that puts a horse in a quite uphill posture (albeit at the walk) from the get-go. Cornille himself is harder on a horse when he rides it. But I suspect that he can feel a lot and just doesn’t allow for the small losses of balance that the rest of us do and which some of us don’t even feel for several strides.

But some bits of the philosophy the pro holds make some sense. One of these is a bit like the way people do (and ought to) approach Pilates: If you aren’t being very correct in your technique and engaging just the muscles you intended to, you are wasting your time. So for the person who wants a horse to build all of the core strength, a strong thoracic sling and back and neck that an upper level horse needs, there’s little point in allowing the horse to cruise around and not engage those postural muscles.

Add to that the fact that horses are just waiting to use up their legs, particularly the front set, and that makes the stakes higher. If you are grinding around, taking too much time to build the postural strength you want, you are wasting your horse’s body and very finite legs. This pro has rehabbed kissing spine cases, and that kind of horse adds another layer of “you don’t have time to waste” in that what Ballou calls the “horizontal balance” of the WB who is ridden into the bridle with his neck lower for longer, and asked/expected to put a whole lot of “push” into the bit.

I have not watched too much of Cornille’s lectures, demos or lessons. I did read a paper that he authored with some University of Georgia vets about the benefits of riding a horse with better (read: lifting the front end of the rib cage immediately, IIRC) for the horse with navicular syndrome precisely because that horse’s feet and lower legs can’t stand the compression of the navicular bone between the boney portions of the leg/foot and the flexors and suspensory apparatus. The idea was to make sure this horse wasn’t leaving his foot on the ground too long/deep under his body where the compression would be greater.

One thing I don’t love and won’t do that I see these very precise guys do with their emphasis on posture and work at the walk is kinda/sorta disregard whatever level of anxiety that kind of ride creates in a horse. I’m an old, old hunter princess and I want to ride a horse who is mentally comfortable in his work. That said, I think horses can learn to be quite focused and to tolerate the pressure of an exacting ride. I don’t mind the “good tension” of a horse deep in concentration and paying attention to his rider. But he’s got to feel “not overwhelmed” in that very high level discussion he’s having with his rider.

This means that I wouldn’t ride a green horse this way unless I had a really good relationship with him and I knew he could accept some pressure. I see why WBs really suck at accepting this style of ride. All of the French types I have read or met assume a level of being ahead ofr your leg that lots of lower-level WBs aren’t. And for the WB who has had been sent forward in the more German style, a Cornille ride would be terrifying or intensely frustrating. Even with the horse who has a great deal of mental maturity, I think you have to give them many breaks in a ride.

Also, as a hunter princess, I sure do stretch my horses. But! This kind of riding has made me very aware of the horse’s balance and that moment when the horse “drops its sternum” by relaxing one side of the thoracic sling on the way to relaxing both. That happens one step with a front foot before you feel it in your hand. So when I ask a horse to stretch down now, I can feel that loss of postural support in the front end and I’m not sure a stretch without the horse continuing to hold up the front end of his ribcage is worth having. For all those horses looking lovely after a good canter with their noses down around their knees, that’s great for the top line, I would assume, but did you also let the horse dump his weight onto his front legs? Can you feel even feel for that? I suspect that most horses can’t stretch that low and maintain that uphill posture; their neck going out and down has to be more modest because they aren’t strong enough to put their head down there without “falling” on the front two legs.

Oh, and I have seen one of the saddles Cornille (or some related saddle maker) sells. It’s no more of a rip-off than a Frenchie close contact saddle. The fit-n-finish is beautiful and the costs are similar. It’s not the only dressage saddle out there that has a forward balance point for the rider (which I love), but its seat is very open and that’s pretty unusual, even among the French and Italian saddles you could choose if you wanted to sit closer to the withers and were willing to accept a foam-flocked saddle.

I wouldn’t buy one of these because I don’t think they can fit the sausage horse I have and I’m not willing to bet $7K on that, no matter what the fitter promised me. But that’s not unique to this saddle or company.

5 Likes

This is not to say that Germany doesn’t have it’s own distinct intellectual style as well. And they are very, very good at getting large, bureacratic things done with a great deal of centralized control. In the horse case, they bred horses and then created a training system (as well as a showing rubric) suited to those horses. They are the AQHA of the English world, and they do a great job.

But why mistake Germany’s impressively top-down way of doing things for a universal way of doing things for all types of horses who, let’s say of the sake of the argument, do want to arrive at the same place and deliver the very best GP test their body will allow? I have ridden a wide-enough variety or horses that I can appreciate how hard we make things for horses when we insist that they ought to learn the way a bred-for-a-different-purpose horse does.

Also, Rene Descartes called to ask if he might be able to come back to the table of clarity and logic, even though he’s french. Kant and Hegel left a message saying that they were going to reopen their debate about the Noumenal World, if you don’t mind the German and the “abstraction” of metaphysics, you are welcome to come.

5 Likes

As someone with human Reiki training, I wish more of the people who purport to be practitioners were more, i don’t know…normal? Or that there was more regulation as to who can hang a shingle out.

I know many human ER nurses that have made Reiki part of their toolbox because in their opinion it helps as part of an integrated treatment plan… Our body’s nervous system generates electric impulses. Whether you call it energy or prefer some other term from mainstream Western medicine, it is there. There wouldn’t be defibrillators in ERs otherwise.

Everyone is attuned to a degree. I often use to describe it the example of seeing someone coming towards you on the street & crossing because your gut tells you there’s something off & that person is potentially dangerous. It’s a scenario that almost everyone has experienced. Reiki simply teaches you to become especially attuned to what I euphemistically refer to as blips in a body’s electric impulses.

With horses, I find it is a matter of me noticing things earlier on than most people seem to. It isn’t magic. I’m simply attuned to their normal patterns of body language & notice subtle alterations to those patterns. Caught laminitis brewing in a pony recently, for example. How? Pony occupies stall closest to the door to the arena. I pass it a dozen times per week. I noticed it suddenly standing with it’s front feet up on the wooden threshold of the stall door. It had never done that before. I observed it doing it a second time. Then, a third. “Well, that’s odd,” I thought. And I bent down & felt it’s feet. Sure enough, exaggerated digital pulse & elevated hoof temperature.

I can’t fix the laminitis. I’ll just notice something looks weird long before the clinical symptoms are prominent enough for most others to notice. It’s useful. It saves me money on vet bills for my personal horses because I catch things before they become a big, honking, wallet-draining, acute mess. I stay in my lane medically & wish people like this BO would, too. And I don’t subscribe to Jean Luc Cornille’s nonsense. He’s the antithesis of healthy kinetic energy flow in my opinion.

1 Like

I am a Forward Seat rider, I do not do dressage or any type of collected work at all, except the few times the horse decides it is the best method to move at that moment. I also have a vast number of dressage books, I read them, some of them I reread, and I discuss stuff with my riding teacher who has had dressage training.

I found Jean Luc Cornille interesting. Since I have MS there is absolutely no way that I can do his type of ground work, work that seems essential to building up the correct muscles for his type of dressage, so I have not gone further.

BUT, Jean Luc Cornille clarified for me a passage in Newcaslte’s dressage book about “advancing the waist” as a useful aid/balancer. I have been toying with this some, it does not seem to distress the horse and it helps exercise my gut muscles. Cornille also increased my knowledge of the horse’s back and how MY riding was probably not quite up there for the horse’s back to feel comfortable.

Reading Cornille definitely helped me with three lesson horses whose backs were IFFY, and with time I was able to help these horses become better riding horses and much more comfortable to ride. I did this without going out of Littauer’s Forward Seat method, and even then these horses do start, tentatively, to lift their backs under my seat at a walk.

I do not subscribe to the whole of Cornille’s system, but I think with reading his articles, looking at his pictures, learning his logic and thinking about what he writes, I have become a slightly better rider for the lesson horses more used to the banging of beginner’s seats than the light following seat of a good rider.

Which is nice because most of the time we are walking/pretty slow trotting since I can’t do much more with my MS.

6 Likes

About 10 years ago I was at my wit’s end with my formerly unsound horse. In an act of desperation I ordered some biomechanics videos from JLC. What arrived were a set of a few CD-ROMS with files of equine anatomy. I told him to refund me, he tried to refuse so I told him I would just tell the CC company to reverse payment and file a complaint with his states BBB. He finally did issue a refund, but in my view he’s a fat old moron who can’t ride and has absolutely nothing of value to contribute beyond his amusing hair.

7 Likes

I love this post.

This also really summed up my feelings on a trainer I rode with recently:

“One thing I don’t love and won’t do that I see these very precise guys do with their emphasis on posture and work at the walk is kinda/sorta disregard whatever level of anxiety that kind of ride creates in a horse. I’m an old, old hunter princess and I want to ride a horse who is mentally comfortable in his work. That said, I think horses can learn to be quite focused and to tolerate the pressure of an exacting ride. I don’t mind the “good tension” of a horse deep in concentration and paying attention to his rider. But he’s got to feel “not overwhelmed” in that very high level discussion he’s having with his rider.”

I was just saying to a friend that I feel as though the horse must feel good in his (or her, but in my case, his) work. I am not about just getting the result. I am an amateur with one horse (because I don’t want more! :rofl:). I want to keep him sound mentally and physically for many years to come. I am fine if it takes longer to get there, but the result is excellent. Feeling small progress is ok for me. It is progress.

Some pros, such as the one I spoke of above, just push and push and push. It’s too much. My horse is nervous and eventually shuts down or flat out becomes tired and he isn’t productive when tired out because the work was too difficult. If he, for example, maintains a good collected canter with good jump to it, for a few strides, and this is new to him, that’s good enough. Reward and slowly build. Not push him to his absolute limit or beyond and be greedy about it. This destroys my horses confidence and possibly other horses are this way too.

With his type I can’t overwhelm him, but I can challenge him. Fortunately, there is another trainer I took a lesson with recently who had an excellent feeling for this. It was a very good and very valuable 40 minute lesson. The horse worked within his mental limits then we slightly expanded them, it was just enough for him to see, “oh, yeah, I can do this, this is ok” without being overwhelming. I am quite sure some trainers have a much better feeling for this.

Some just don’t, or maybe they don’t care. Some still make it to the top/higher levels and do just fine at competitions. Could also depend on the type of horse they ride, and I also don’t know how many they “go through” until they find one that suits their style.

8 Likes