Unlimited access >

jewelry around horses... what holds up best?

Hey guys, I was reading through Nicolodian’s great news thread (congrats!), and subsequently through the “engagement rings” OT thread that someone pointed out. There was a lot of useful info in there, and I was wondering whether anyone had more specific experience of how different metals and settings take the beating of wear around horses and the barn.

I’m not much of a jewelry person, but I do wear a stainless steel ring which seems to be doing OK, with the exception of a very few scratches.

I’ve been scratching my head over potential metals and settings for an engagement ring (not that there’s a snowball’s chance in… uh… heck… that Mr. Kirsten is likely to pop the question anytime soon, but I like to plan ahead). I’ve heard platinum is the hardest metal and doesn’t bend out of shape (good for diamond settings), but I’ve seen a couple of people whose platinum rings are badly scratched. Anyone know if platinum generally scratches worse than white gold? I know that the lower carat white gold is hardest… but as far as looking good through the years, I have a 10-carat white gold school ring that has so many tiny scratches from day-to-day wear that it’s nowhere near as shiny as it used to be. I’ve also heard that with white gold, you can just get it replated… and that you don’t have that option with platinum.

Is it feasible to use platinum prongs to set the diamond, and use white gold for the rest of the ring? For those who have a “traditional” 4-prong or a Tiffany-style 6-prong setting, do you even find it catches on things at the barn or that you worry about bashing it around? Ever scratch your saddle or something by accident? Those who have lower settings, do you find it takes away from the sparkliness of the diamond? Are larger diamonds more likely to cause an issue (i.e. do they require a higher setting or generally get in the way)?

Sorry this is so long… as I said, I like to be prepared just in case. And since anything I wear is going to have to withstand riding, setting jumps, and cleaning tack among other things, I want to make sure it’ll still look good for the rest of my life. Any real-life experience would be very much appreciated.

Hey guys, I was reading through Nicolodian’s great news thread (congrats!), and subsequently through the “engagement rings” OT thread that someone pointed out. There was a lot of useful info in there, and I was wondering whether anyone had more specific experience of how different metals and settings take the beating of wear around horses and the barn.

I’m not much of a jewelry person, but I do wear a stainless steel ring which seems to be doing OK, with the exception of a very few scratches.

I’ve been scratching my head over potential metals and settings for an engagement ring (not that there’s a snowball’s chance in… uh… heck… that Mr. Kirsten is likely to pop the question anytime soon, but I like to plan ahead). I’ve heard platinum is the hardest metal and doesn’t bend out of shape (good for diamond settings), but I’ve seen a couple of people whose platinum rings are badly scratched. Anyone know if platinum generally scratches worse than white gold? I know that the lower carat white gold is hardest… but as far as looking good through the years, I have a 10-carat white gold school ring that has so many tiny scratches from day-to-day wear that it’s nowhere near as shiny as it used to be. I’ve also heard that with white gold, you can just get it replated… and that you don’t have that option with platinum.

Is it feasible to use platinum prongs to set the diamond, and use white gold for the rest of the ring? For those who have a “traditional” 4-prong or a Tiffany-style 6-prong setting, do you even find it catches on things at the barn or that you worry about bashing it around? Ever scratch your saddle or something by accident? Those who have lower settings, do you find it takes away from the sparkliness of the diamond? Are larger diamonds more likely to cause an issue (i.e. do they require a higher setting or generally get in the way)?

Sorry this is so long… as I said, I like to be prepared just in case. And since anything I wear is going to have to withstand riding, setting jumps, and cleaning tack among other things, I want to make sure it’ll still look good for the rest of my life. Any real-life experience would be very much appreciated.

Regarding Platinum being scratched…

This is how 4 different jewlers explained it to me…

Gold does not scratch (at least not much)…why? because any scratch that would be there isn’t because the metal actually comes off. So gold will become thinner and thinner over time.

Platinum scratches but when it does the metal moves to each side of the scratch. None of the metal is actually lost. When the metal begins to look scratched, get it cleaned and all of the metal will flatten back out to a shine.

A jewler that I absolutely trust and knows my lifestyle would only let me get a platinum ring. He said gold would be a lopsided mess in 6 months.

I'm engaged!!! Go ahead ask me about it!!!

Old fashioned, deep, well protected settings.

I must get Mr. Wings to read this topic and put his thoughts in for the old fashioned settings!

Since the title for the thread is “jewelry around horses” I must put in for DIAMOND Stud earrings. No dangling or drop styles, no hoops, etc. No bracelets that can catch in gate/stall latches of the caulks on horseshoes.

Mr. Wings (King of the Pawn Shops in a former employment) just started working for the Transportation Security Administration and, with conveyer belts all around him, is now wearinging ring strung on a neck chain WHILE he is at work

Safety is important.

Auntie Pat would assure you that it is perfectly appropriate and comfortable to have multiple 1/2 carat channel set diamonds under a suitably and discretely gloved hand.

Friendship is Love without his wings
-Lord Byron

I have my Graduate Gemologist degree and have worked as a jewelry appraiser, designer and taught classes in gemstone identification and diamond grading. I’ve seen many rings that have been through all kinds of mishaps.
Gold, in either white or yellow is actually very soft. You could bend a ring with your fingers. Gold is made harder by the metal it is alloyed (mixed) with. 24 Karat gold is pure gold, going down to 18k, 14k (the most common in the U.S.) and 10k. It can be alloyed with several other metals. Since it is soft it does scratch easily. Gold rings will have to be “reshanked” over the years, replacing the thin area opposite the center stone.
Platinum is a very hard metal. I have only seen 1 squashed platinum ring, and it had been squished by a car transmission (it did save the finger). Platinum is more difficult to work, i.e. make into a ring or polish, so labor my be higher. It is one of the rarest of elements.
Titanium is also strong for its weight, but is more brittle. It is also difficult to work (ask your farrier about titanium horseshoes!)
Compared to the diamond, the metal in the mounting is usually a small proportion of the cost of the ring.
I wear my rings to ride, but always wear gloves since a ring can get caught and “deglove” a finger quite easily.
I encourage active women to choose a design that protects their diamond, like a bezel or channel setting or one with “shoulders” that come up to the level of the top of the stone. If the diamond takes a blow (think whack on a door jam or jump) between prongs, there is a chance that the stone may fracture or even break.
A 4 or 6 prong setting will not make a diamond sparkle more than a bezel setting. The flash of a diamond comes from the light that enters the top of the diamond, reflects off of the bottom facets of the stone and back out the top to your eye. If a diamond doesn’t reflect white light to you or sparkle (the sparkle part comes out the little facets on the top of the stone, white light from the big table facet) it means that the stone is not cut to the best advantage. A “dead” stone tends to look like it has a black center. Estate jewelry often has stones like this, either round or “Mine cut” in shape.
At the barn there are some things you can do to protect your gemstones. Wear gloves for your saftey as well as your jewelry. Proper mounting is next, having the mountings (prongs or bezel) checked every year or two and protecting your stones from thermal shock. If its freezing cold, don’t stick your hands in hot water - going from cold to hot too quickly can break the stone. This also applies to hot tub/snow bank transitions as well! Make sure that you don’t get bleach on your jewelry since it will weaken the solder that holds heads on shanks and joined wedding sets together.
Stones like emerald and opal usually don’t last long as “every day” rings since they are very prone to breakage. Diamond, sapphires and rubies are a much safer bet.
I’ll try to find a picture of the light bouncing stuff and post it too, since my explaination is probably clear as mud.

I was actually considering the option of channel-set diamonds, rather than a solitaire… I know someone who has a ring like this, and it’s quite pretty (from the quick glances I’ve had). Plus, it acts as both an engagement ring and wedding band… so you don’t have to find room for two rings on your finger. I wonder if it takes away from the “sparkle” to have them set this way?

I think that what happens is, when I slip my gloves on, it immediately slides over toward my pinkie finger so that it is almost lying flat–does that make sense!!! Plus, I wear laced gloves–can’t do leather with these thing on!

Though I have no degree in gems, dad is a Geologist (with a minor in gemology), and my brother’s hobby is jewelry making, so I’ve got a bit of knowledge.

My engagement ring is .37c, and is top quality (dad pulled out the loupe to check…) It’s mounted in 10k gold band, with partial cathedral sides. The 6 prong setting is platinum. I replaced the gold prongs last summer when I noticed them starting to bend and catch lint. (HINT: If your prongs catch threads, they are loose.) I prefer the 6 prongs over 4. On a 6, I can loose a prong and the stone is still secure. With 4 if a prong is lost, so is the stone, basic physics there.

After 11 years of near constant wear, the band is showing wear on the back, but the front design has held up rather well. Part of the reason I like 10k vs 14k or 18k is the durability. My wedding band is 14k yellow with two white “ropes” inset into it. The ropes are starting to wear smooth in some spots.

I’ve gone back and forth wearing/not wearing my rings while riding. I do keep a good pair of “wire” cutters in my tool box at the stable. I’ve cut 2 rings off with them (one mine, one someone else’s). Rather a bauble than a finger!

I now always wear gloves when riding, but rarely for anything else.

If I had to do it over again, I would have asked for a bezel setting, but I doubt I would have gotten it. Jack was insistent on a traditional white solitaire. I wanted a blue or champagne color… Despite that, we’re still together after nearly 10 years of marriage.

“I love deadlines.” “I love the swooooshing sound they make as they fly by!” -Douglas Adams

wedding.jpg

“rider”…and I, too, find cleaning stalls therapeutic…I generally pick mine out b-4 I leave even though we do have someone whose job it is to do it…the “EQ HORSE LEASE PRICE” thread on H/J forum speaks to the issue of those who “ride” but don’t do any of the “grungy” work - such as - gasp - grooming and tacking up your own horse…I never liked that side of the circuit - wasn’t jealous, just thought they weren’t TRUE riders, like me…HA HA HA - I get D-I-R-T-Y!

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Okay, not to be a b#@*ch, but flypony, I gotta respond: I didn’t “go for” quantity over quality either. First of all, I didn’t ask for a 3 carat stone, to be honest I had thought it would get in the way at the barn, during yoga, and on long runs. Second of all, and most importantly, mine is THE HIGHEST GRADE, color-wise, that they sell on the open market. It is considered “colorless.” Although not perfect on the clarity scale, it is way up there as well. So I just had to respond to your implication that I was walking around with this big giant grey thing with 33 inclusions!

Too funny - a giant grey thing with inclusions! LOL
I didn’t have any input in the choice of stone (including it’s size) but mine, too, is of highest quality…not that I’d know the difference by looking! My ex-SO wanted a big stone, I think, to stroke HIS ego…

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Does Mr. Commodore have a brother?

Rhodium is what is used to plate white gold when it yellows. I’m thinking I need to get my white gold ring that I used to wear all the time plated, as it started to irritate my finger about a month ago. It looks like the ring burned my skin.

I wear a watch, a silver box-link bracelet, the aforementioned ring, and pearl studs to the barn. With the exception on the watch and the ring’s irritation, the pieces only come off for cleaning.

I have a 1.5 carat round solitare set in a six prong, very high 14K white gold “catherdal” setting. (that means the sides of the ring swoop up to the sides of the prongs and diamond)

I’ve had it two years - and it’s not come off my hand yet, even with a year taking care of 11 horses. (OK, it does go in my pocket when I clean sheaths) It hardly has any wear at all. One or two very minor scratches. When I take the time to clean it, it looks brand new.

Mr. A&A specifically went in with the “I need the most durable setting you’ve got” line - and was told that 14K white gold is more sturdy than platinum. It’s also WAY less expensive.

Sister–

Yes, he does, but he is a total jerk and you don’t want him! LOL! He also spends half his time telling Mr. Commodore what a waste of time and money horses are. Yuck!

Sounds like Mr. Commodore got all the good genes in that family!!!

. . . it’s the risk that you will lose the stone. It is very easy to catch the setting on something around the barn or when riding and pop the stone out, and your chances of ever finding it again are about a million to one.

My wife NEVER wears any jewelry with a stone setting (e.g., her diamond engagement ring) to the barn or when riding.

I have a platinum, six prong solitaire (round cut), 2.53 carats, and yes, the size of the stone does bother me when I ride (oh, such a complaint, ha ha) because it slips to the inside between my fingers sometimes (when I’m no bloated ) and it is a pain when wearing gloves…aside from these issues, I love it, but the platinum does looked scratched to me - or is it just in need of a cleaning? It shines up nicely (have done this twice in 5 years). Sorry can’t offer more info.

My horse bucked off your honor student

Since we are on the topic of jewelry and gruesome accidents (ok, I know that wasn’t the original topic, but…), I have to put in a plea to leave all earrings at home, including studs…
Many years ago my trainer was walking down the aisle when a new arrival with (as we discovered) some bad stall habits whipped his head out and bit her diamond stud earring off…taking the ear lobe with it.
Luckily (I am NOT making this up) the student she was about to teach was an undertaker – he packed the lobe on ice, took her to the ER, and got her patched up. But neither she nor I have ever worn earrings at the barn again. Sadly, I now own many “singleton” earrings, since I’m always taking them off and stashing them in the car or my briefcase, and then forgetting to retrieve then, but I’d rather have one earring than one ear…

Wow, Kestrel… thanks so much for sharing your expertise. I took a look at that site for titanium rings… the ones with the platinum inlay are really cool! I wonder whether a regular jewelry shop could polish them up if they got scratched, or whether you’d need to send them to NASA or somewhere?

Commodore, I have to admit that I couldn’t quite picture in my mind what 3 carats would look like all in one place. Saw a picture on DeBeers. And girl, all I can say is Yeeeeeehaaaaw!

Good points made about safety in the barn. Personally, I’m such a dimwit I’d likely lose any jewelry I took off before riding. I’ve found more anklets (which aren’t comfortable under paddock boots) in jeans pockets months later than I care to admit. I agree though that wearing gloves is a great idea, both for personal safety and the safeguarding of your sparkly stuff. At least that’s what I would do, given some sparkly stuff to protect.

OMG…I am SO not in this league!! 10K on a ring?? Not in my lifetime.