Jockey Club DNA testing and registration?

I don’t mind at all! Their story is MY favorite story. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It’s my understanding that the DNA test offered for $85 to identify a TB runs it against the existing database–so they’re taking the DNA and comparing to horses already registered and a match pops up.

If that’s the case, this horse would not produce a match, because she was never registered and her DNA was never submitted, so it’s not in their database.

At the very least, it’s worth a call before spending the bucks, to confirm exactly what it’s being run against.

It looks like the breeding was never reported, which might throw a wrench in your plans. I agree that you should call the Jockey Club.

2 Likes

I did pull a produce report on her dam a while back and remember seeing the Frost Giant breeding. Is it possible my filly is a Frost Giant baby and not First Cornerstone?? The plot thickens! Regardless, I will be calling the JC.

Edited to add a photo of the mystery kiddo:

Her presumed sire, First Cornerstone:

Frost Giant (hmm, they do have the same head):

4 Likes

I mean, she could be by anyone.

Who knows who he bred her to that year.

But, it does make the most sense she’s probably by First Cornerstone. He was on the farm, there were others by him, etc.

Frost Giant would make everything a lot easier. It would just come down to $$$: stud fee and hefty registration fees. I bet they would work with you on the fee at this point.

1 Like

There’s a big difference in the mouth of a two year old vs the mouth of a three year old. It would be pretty apparent when you purchased if she were 2 vs 3.

When you bought her, was there strong suspicion that she was a year younger than expected?

No, she’s definitely 5 based on her mouth. Maybe I’m reading the above report incorrectly?

Oh, no, I think I was. I was reading that as year of cover, not year of birth.

I think she looks more like Frost Giant fwiw. Keep us posted on your journey. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree! Hopefully I can get to the bottom of it.

I am so glad this nice filly landed with you after she had such a rough start in life.
I have found the ladies at the JC to be so incredibly nice, and I am sure they will do whatever they can to help you out.
Since the dam and sire both have their DNA on record with the JC, I am pretty sure you will at least be able to get a parentage verification through the DNA.
Very best of luck with her, and please let us know how you make out.

ETA, reading back. Getting the filly DNA tested would prove her parentage. - when you register a foal you send its hair sample in with the forms showing the parentage. If the sire and dam are in the data base (and these horses would be) it would show that the foal (this filly) is consistent with that information. Or not.

1 Like

Let us know what the JC says! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you! This is so helpful and honestly all that I was hoping for. If I confirm her parentage via DNA, maybe the JC would be willing to give me a letter or something stating that she is ‘eligible to be registered’ that I can use for shows. Won’t know 'til I call! Will definitely report back after I talk to them. Seriously, you all have been very helpful - thanks!

4 Likes

I’m not doubting her breed (or her mother’s) by any means, but I wouldn’t take that origin story as gospel unless you’ve personally verified it. That’s the story that auction houses use about 90% of the time for unregistered horses with unknown histories that they plan to sell to the public.

I agree with you 100% in just about every other auction situation. This was a bit different in that it was a herd dispersal sale of a well-known TB breeding farm. Pretty much every other horse sold with papers or some other kind of identification. My filly was the only one that sold grade because she was born after the owner died. I have her dam’s JC papers.

4 Likes

Sorry, I missed that earlier. If you’re on Facebook, you might have some luck joining the OTTB Halter’s/Photos/Info Exchange and telling them your predicament. There are a lot of helpful people there with diverse track connections who routinely solve puzzles.

Some of them are experienced with the track or breeding angles and some are savvy with the JC administration side. It’s possible that someone would be able to connect you with a resource on the sire’s side to help with a stud certificate.

3 Likes

Thank you! This is super helpful!

1 Like

I recently called the JC for assistance in getting duplicate papers, and the person I talked to was neither friendly nor helpful! 🫤
I reached out to the breeder on record who was super nice. But turned out even though he was listed as breeder, he said the mare was actually leased out that year so he wasn’t involved with the foal.

1 Like

Oh jeez, that’s a bummer. I didn’t have time to call today, but hopefully tomorrow. I am not encouraged by the thread in Off Course with the other mystery TB filly, but hopefully since I know her dam and have an idea of who her daddy is I might be able to get somewhere.

I think you have a super straightforward case. Maybe not the registration part, but the DNA part. While the dad could be “anyone,” you know the dam, you know the breeding farm where she was born, and you have a darn good guess that the dad is one of two stallions, both of whom are on file.

I don’t think you’ll have an unpleasant experience talking to them. I’m sorry @Training_Cupid had a negative experience. Sometimes they get snippy with things that they can’t do but are asked to do all the time (like duplicate papers, exceptions, etc.). Doesn’t make it right.

3 Likes