Unlimited access >

Jockey Suspended Two Months for Knocking Other Jockey Off

This really looks ugly on the replay. Thankfully the other jockey was not hurt, but two months seems light to me. This could have killed someone.

2 Likes

Yeah, that looks pretty intentional. No way 2 months is ok. Like there’s not enough risk in that job already
 Jerk :angry:

4 Likes

Two months seems very light. We don’t, of course, know why a top jockey did such an outrageous thing to a fellow pro. I also suspect that when he does return to riding, the social consequences of his behaviour will continue for a few more weeks and months within the tight-knit world of jockeys.

4 Likes

But

However, the jockey will be able to ride in Sunday’s Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (G1) as the suspension starts Oct. 14 and ends Dec. 12.

They really slapped him around real hard for knocking the jockey out of the saddle

France Galop’s (they’re the French racing authority) hands are tied because of the way the rules are written now. That’s about to change.

Soumillon is also in danger of losing his contract as first rider with the Aga Khan’s stable, which is a very big deal.

Finally, here is another jockey’s take on what happened:
https://www.racingpost.com/news/international/ruby-walsh-its-a-racing-manoeuvre-and-christophe-did-not-get-it-right/581709

For anyone who might have missed it, there was some shenanigans in the Lukas Classic Stakes on Saturday. Rich Strike’s jockey Sonny Leon leaned a ‘bit too far’ to the left, and he earned a 15-days suspension for it. On top of that, according to the ‘Belmont At The A’ commentators on Sunday, Sonny Leon’s actions may have directly cost Rich Strike the race.

Here is the race:

The Lukas Classic Stakes 2022 (FULL RACE) | NBC Sports - YouTube

Below is the show with the day-after comments on Sunday. The first discussion is at around 1:25:00, and the second (where they mention the suspension) is at 5:07:25. There was some after-race talk between the jockey Sonny Leon and the trainer (I believe) at about 1:21:55, too.

America’s Day at the Races - YouTube

1 Like

The Sonny Leon thing has been all abuzz on horse racing Twitter. I do not buy the excuse that Sonny’s saddle slipped, causing him to nearly jump aboard Hot Rod Charlie. If your saddle is slipping to the left
you shove your weight and lean to the RIGHT to correct it. At the very least you’d probably hunker down centered and squeeze your knees on the withers for dear life as the wire was approaching.

Both horses drifted to the center of the track. HRC definitely altered his path and drifted away from left hand urging. But Rich Strike also came in a little, uncorrected by Sonny, and perhaps even caused by him over-weighting the left side. I think Sonny knows Rich Strike may run better “with a fight” and was looking to hook up to HRC
but the attempt to shove into Tyler Gafflione was pretty senseless and certainly gained no advantage. Dumb race riding, IMO.

3 Likes

Soumillon did indeed lose his retainer as top jockey for the Aga Khan.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/christophe-soumillon/christophe-soumillon-loses-job-with-aga-khan-after-saint-cloud-incident/582219

For those not familiar, it’s not uncommon for trainers or owners in European racing to pay a retainer to their preferred jockey, ensuring that rider will be available for whatever runners that stable enters. William Buick is Godolphin’s first call rider, for example.

3 Likes