Unlimited access >

Jog Area at WEG- A Little Wet

Did everyone see this picture from Sunday?

Assorted comments on the Facebook post said that they were moving the jog to the indoor, and that all the event horses passed the jog, except for one horse from South Africa, which was withdrawn beforehand.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto…3&id=622313402

Did they also supply boats for the vets?

1 Like

Did somebody forget to turn off the waterfalls on the cross country course?

2 Likes

Not sure. I saw another picture that looked like the jog was outside on a path that was wet, but not under water. No boats in sight, but lots of raincoats. If there is a Barbour store there, they are probably doing brisk business.

Some photos of the jog - http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/all-horses-pass-final-eventing-inspection-at-weg#prettyPhoto[212737]/6/

2 Likes

So how much rain did they actually get? With how much new construction and what I can assume is uncompleted construction the flooding could be a direct result of construction.

From what I can find they got an inch of rain today. And I forgot to mention in my above post that ground saturation from the amount of rainfall they have had this year. So I would say flooding in the TIEC has a distinctive possibility of being partially manmade as well.

Everybody looks pretty darn wet. I hope the worst of the weather is over.

And yet Boyd Martin did an interview and said he thought they could have jumped today :lol: he of course understood why the organizers didn’t chance it, but i think the eventers were ready to go!

Yeah, there’s nothing about that footing that wouldn’t hold up!

I say they start a new sport, The horse inner tube pull.

1 Like

Yeah, I am sure the eventers thought nothing of the rain during the jog, but organizers had no way to predict how much more rain they were going to get - or how much wind. There would have been an uproar if they started the jumping portion and then had to stop it midway if conditions deteriorated. And an even greater uproar if there were crashes and injuries to horses and/or riders trying to jump in awful weather conditions. Remember these are world class competition horses worth TONS of money. They are not Irish hunters out for a typical day of hunting. Officials decided in favor of horse welfare - as they should.

remember the wind blowing at the Olympics and blowing the fences over during SJ rounds. I have no doubt 3dayers consider basic rain part of the job, but dicey footing and unexpected gusts mean there needs to be an abundance of caution.

1 Like

The photo from Sunday is absolutely misleading. Riding areas looked great, footing held up perfectly. The jogging strip, as you would imagine, was held on hard surface and had absolutely no water on it. The area pictured with some water on it is a pathway for horses walking from the stabling area to the warm rings. It has footing on it and is somewhat lower than the surrounding areas which explains why the water wasn’t draining perfectly. The xc galloping tracks were in ideal conditions going into Saturday and held up wonderfully during the day on Saturday. There were NO deep tracks from galloping or torn up spots on take-offs and landings upon conclusion of xc phase. I wish people would stop stirring drama where there is none.

3 Likes