Unlimited access >

John Lipari #metoo

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/…708-story.html

This is the article that resulted from the letter to the editor in the June 18&25 Chronicle magazine.

I’m glad that someone was able to contact him about this before he passed.

I’m revolted - and devastated - by the statement he made. “Do you know how hard it is to say no when they come on so strong? I never messed around with anybody that did not come on to me.”

The are no words for how vile this is. It’s infuriating. I’m so, so glad that these women were brave enough that they felt they could come forward with this information. I can’t imagine…

7 Likes

I did not see that letter to the editor. Is there a link?

I don’t think that the letters are available online, except to subscribers, but you will have a PM shortly.

1 Like

It is absolutely disgusting. Have these women filed a posthumous claim with SafeSport? How about the interviewer? Was the interview recorded such that this confession can be substantiated and submitted? I realize he’s now dead but Jimmy Williams has his place on the infamous list and this man should join him for all posterity.

1 Like

I have it on good authority that a SafeSport claim has been made. I have no idea about the journalist from the paper and what was or was not recorded.

2 Likes

Wonderful. Will watch for the email from US Equestrian!

Since he’s dead and no danger to anyone at this point, the urgency for a temp suspension and public announcement won’t be there but nice try. There’s no reason to temporarily suspend a dead person in the name of public safety. That doesn’t mean there’s no reason to temp suspend and notify the public about a living person who is still working in the industry and who could, if guilty, accumulate more victims while the full investigation is going on. It’s not remotely comparable.

1 Like

I hope he is having the afterlife experience he deserves. Burning in hell, or what have you, depending on your belief system. Ugh.

1 Like

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. I was not speaking about temporarily suspending a dead person. I was referring to adding the name to the permanent suspension list along with Jimmy Williams. I thought this may have been obvious but I apologize that it was not. Since there is a confession perhaps there is no point of temporary and it can go right to full on expulsion from the sport.

I do not agree that it is not “remotely comparable” to the current situation where the person is actively damaging the lives of young women and men. I would never dream of telling his victims that their plight is not remotely comparable to the current one- it is the same battle. The difference is that people today have a voice and a community that is finally willing to listen - and thank God for that!

I think the point here is exposure - whether it happened in the past or present - the person will not be celebrated or recognized moving forward (THIS IS KEY - no perpetual trophies, awards, etc… in their name) and their behavior is no longer tolerated. THAT is why abusers should be added to the list despite the fact that they may have already died. For some, their legacy unfortunately lives on. Like that time we said goodbye to that gaudy silver hat that represented a man who damaged the lives of so many.

3 Likes

I’m sorry I got you confused with someone on the other thread who was whinging about due process for the poor poor temporarily suspended trainers and their ability to make money while the full investigation goes on. I thought you were snarking with the “I’ll expect an email” thing.