Joint Injections, the human kind.

[QUOTE=SmplySweet1021;5459379]
I wouldn’t trust a doctor that after multiple attempts cannot get the injection in the right place. :no:[QUOTE]

The surgeon only had to re-direct the needle twice. Likely due to the fact that my shoulder anatomy is now different post surgery (July 2010). Re-reading my post, I realize I wasn’t clear on that issue.

I was an ortho medical assistant for many years - and there’s a reason I didn’t go to the doc I worked for. It’s because my current doc is much better. And the doc I worked for was, at that time, the head ortho surgeon for the Metro Stars (pro soccer team) so it’s not like he was a bad doc.

so many stories, so little time…

Thanks for all the stories, guys.
I joke I have “claviculitis” (like sesamoiditis, but in my clavicle), or “clavicular”.
Been doing PT since beginning of December, and am down to 1 visit every 3 weeks. Have been bad, not really doing all the home exercises. I figure cleaning stalls, throwing hay bales, and grooming emulate those exercises well enough, and I’m NOT babying it. :smiley:
I had my AC shoulder joint injected yesterday with cortisone and (probably) the marcaine for the first time. Hurts like a b*^#h today :eek::eek::eek:, but the surgeon did warn me it may hurt for a couple of days…
I did joke with him that now I know how the horses feel when we inject their hocks with Legend or Adequan, and he did say there was some human-equivalent. IF this works, I may look into getting the Adequan-equivalent shots, especially if it means preventing surgery.
The most interesting part was the knot in the base of my neck that appeared within 5 minutes of the shot. It had obviously been there all along, but masked by the shoulder ache.
Am icing it as I type.

No lnd all the jointsuck with the injections but good luck with hyaluronex as it feed the whole skeleton a

[QUOTE=fanfayre;5486190]
The most interesting part was the knot in the base of my neck that appeared within 5 minutes of the shot. It had obviously been there all along, but masked by the shoulder ache.
Am icing it as I type.[/QUOTE]

Yikes, no! try heat instead. Necks generally like heat better ice. If it doesn’t go away, ask your doc about trigger points.

I did round 2 of cortisone/lidocaine?? in my neck a couple weeks ago. I second the hurts like a b*^#h.

[QUOTE=red mares;5490284]
Yikes, no! try heat instead. Necks generally like heat better ice. If it doesn’t go away, ask your doc about trigger points.

I did round 2 of cortisone/lidocaine?? in my neck a couple weeks ago. I second the hurts like a b*^#h.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I mistyped- I was icing the shoulder; I had already had the heat on the neck. I also used my little TENS unit on the neck and got some Volatren gel. The knot’s gone!!! And for the first time in 4-1/2 months, so has the shoulder pain! We’ll see how long it lasts.
Thanks for the concern and wise tips, though:winkgrin: Hope your neck feels better!

Update:
8 weeks after the injection the cortisone has worn off:( and I’m back to the pre-injection level of discomfort:no:. My chiropractor was mentioning yesterday about seeing a naturopathic doctor for Traumeel injections. Has anyone had these? Did it work? How long did the relief last? Thanks!:slight_smile:

Just saw this thread.
I shattered my right tibia and fibula in the ankle area last May and things didn’t heal right.
After battling with two surgeons about a fusion surgery (I’m NOT having one!) the second surgeon finally wrote me a script for a cortisone inj.
I got the inj a few weeks ago and I don’t know if it was a screwed up procedure (they left the needle in my ankle for a good ten-fifteen minutes waiting for a doctor to come look!), but after the locals wore off I was in screaming agony. I had to get the wheelchair back out that day and the next day I was back in the cast-boot and using my walker.
But it was worth it! A few days later I was nearly pain free :)!
I am only now noticing some of the old pain returning.
Another thing I’ll mention about my injury and recovery, I recently got the most WONDERFUL horse, an Oldenburg gelding (from a COTH member, I might add) who is a true schoolmaster. Riding him gives me the most amazing results the following day. I am definitely a believer in animal assisted physical therapy!

[QUOTE=fanfayre;5591776]
Update:
8 weeks after the injection the cortisone has worn off:( and I’m back to the pre-injection level of discomfort:no:. My chiropractor was mentioning yesterday about seeing a naturopathic doctor for Traumeel injections. Has anyone had these? Did it work? How long did the relief last? Thanks!:)[/QUOTE]

Wow, yours didn’t last very long. I get shots about every 3-6 months depending on my pain level. My shoulder has been well over a year since my last shot. I take an aspirin for 3 days before my injections and 3 days after. I give horses bute the same way, before and after shots.