Joint Injections, the human kind.

Well, the never-ending shoulder from hell story continues. Mr. Dr. Surgeon is not happy with my posterior capsular movement, and wants me to have a joint injection in two weeks, followed by yet more PT. Yippee.

So, what can you tell me about such injections? I understand the principle (can’t be much different that a hock injection, right;)), but I really need some “hey, I did that too, and it was______________” information. What can I expect? Pain? Agony? Fun? Easy-peasy?

I have pretty much constant nagging pain in my shoulder still, and certain movements are sharply painful. But, I’ve returned to riding, wearing my safety vest, and working on my conditioning so I’m strong and supple before we jump again. Strangely, riding is quite comfortable for my arm, so that makes me smile!

I had injections into the shouder over the years prior to my surgery. Not bad at all. Expect to barely feel the needle (make sure the doc uses the freeze spray first!), then a little burning/pressure as the med is injected.

When I was an ortho med asst, it was the big burly guys that would squeeze my hand and just about pass out (and break my fingers in the process). Most other people were just fine with it.

Cortisone injection (they usually mix a little Marcaine into it for numbing purposes) is not bad. Burns a little bit, but not bad.

Now, they are using meds like Synvisc in the shoulder (which I believe is off-label - it’s mainly used for knees) and seeing good results. That’s an HA-type of injection - usually once a week for three weeks. Patients reported feeling more pressure with this injection rather than the cortisone as Synvisc is a pretty viscous type of fluid.

Just make sure your doc uses the freeze spray prior to injection! And don’t look. The needle is long (has to be to get into the joint). You shouldn’t feel it much at all.

ICE, ICE, ICE after injections!

Best,
Taryn

[QUOTE=Calvincrowe;5320333]
Well, the never-ending shoulder from hell story continues. So, what can you tell me about such injections? I understand the principle (can’t be much different that a hock injection, right;)), but I really need some “hey, I did that too, and it was______________” information. What can I expect? Pain? Agony? Fun? Easy-Peasy?
I have pretty much constant nagging pain in my shoulder still, and certain movements are sharply painful. But, I’ve returned to riding, wearing my safety vest, and working on my conditioning so I’m strong and supple before we jump again. Strangely, riding is quite comfortable for my arm, so that makes me smile![/QUOTE]
Easy-Peasy!

I’ve had my elbow done 3 times. Wasn’t bad at all. Just don’t look. Good luck and I hope it helps :slight_smile:

I just had intra-articular joint injections to my knee in August/Sept. It is called “euflexxa” and is sodium hyalauronate (sorry about spelling here!) & they do 3 injections, 1 week apart. It is the same stuff as Legend hock injections. They do recommend 48 hours of no activity after each injection, and ICE is your friend! It felt like a small ziplock baggy of jello in there at first, and was painful at first… BUT, it is SO Worth it LATER… like 3 to 6 weeks later. Makes a big difference in the slide-ability of the joint, and BEST OF ALL… I am COMFORTABLE to RIDE! I will get the follow up injections in 6 months & see if I can get better at walking too! The needles look scarey, so don’t watch… but they do numb or freeze the surface, so it’ll just feel like a little pinch. Overall - easy-peasy! And, if it works for you, it’ll be well worth it! IMHO, of course,
:slight_smile: J

I’ve had 2 full sets of knee injections and then 1 failed set of injections.

First I had a set of 5 Supartz injections about 3 years ago. I hate needles with a passion so for me every injection is a nightmare. I’ve had both a small lidocaine injection and freezing spray used before the injection. Usually the freezing spray works best with me because the lidocaine injection is very painful (burning sensation). We always did the freezing spray then a split second later the injection; always have to wait a second before the injection otherwise the needle freezes and breaks off from the hub. I unfortunately didn’t feel any relief from the Supartz injections.

Had a set of 3 Synvisc injections about 2 1/2 years ago. Also didn’t work for me. We attempted to do another set of Synvisc Injections about a month ago. First injection went well, but had a mild allergic reaction to it a few hours later. I went on a dose pack of Steroids as it was Thanksgiving day weekend so the Doc wanted to make sure I would be feeling better. We did the second injection the following week, felt fine until much later that evening when my knee started swelling. It started being painful to walk on so I took some of advil and went to sleep. (I always sleep with 2 pillows under my knee so that helped a little) Unfortunately had some severe pain issues that kept me awake during the night, woke up the next morning to an even larger knee. Went to walk and found that I couldn’t straighten my leg nor bear any weight on my leg. Had to use my crutches for the rest of the day. Doctor told me I was having a severe allergic reaction to the synvisc and to come back Thursday to drain the joint. (My doc is 1 1/2 hrs away from my house & was in surgery all day Wednesday making it impossible to see him) Got my knee drained on Thursday but by that time a lot of the swelling had already gone down. We scheduled surgery for Jan 12, to scope, debridement, and to see if my knee is ready for a partial knee replacement.

The big thing about injections, or at least knee injections, is you have to have them in a row. You must set the time aside every week. If you skip/miss an appointment you have to start all over again.

Good Luck!!!

Well, my injection is a single one, no series. I think it is steroids…didn’t think to ask! They are trying to stop the inflammation in the shoulder so the pain will stop so I can move it properly. Sounds like if I have my big girl underpants on, I’ll be ok. Can’t be any worse than caudal epidural injections…up one’s tail bone:eek: Had those. But, they give you a sedative first…mmmm…I like sedatives.:slight_smile:

Jingles for you and the injection to work its “Magic”

Glad to read you are enjoying your riding ~

[QUOTE=Calvincrowe;5321243]
Well, my injection is a single one, no series. I think it is steroids…didn’t think to ask! They are trying to stop the inflammation in the shoulder so the pain will stop so I can move it properly. Sounds like if I have my big girl underpants on, I’ll be ok. Can’t be any worse than caudal epidural injections…up one’s tail bone:eek: Had those. But, they give you a sedative first…mmmm…I like sedatives.:)[/QUOTE]

There is a debate thats been going on in recent years about the long term side effects of steroids in joints. Some doctors say no harm and others say not too many as there is harm.

I for one am undecided…I had about 10-12 in my Right Ankle years ago and it stopped my pain, loosened up my scar tissue and I was able to resume a normal life. I’ve had 1 in my left knee and it helped for about 6 months. My current Ortho guy said he will only give me 1 more steroid shot into the joint as he is worried about long term side effects.

Been there done that

No problem. I’ve had 4 done into the shoulder and one into a tendon sheath. The only one that was not pleasant was the last one that was done after shoulder surgery round 1. Surgeon knew as he was getting the needle in and injecting that he was going to have to go in and do another surgery.

I have had loads of needles into the shoulder joint and honestly they don’t bother me other than I hate needles.

Sure hope your shoulder goes better. Looks like I could be getting ready for surgery number three. If that does happen it will be three surgeries in 18 months. The first two surgeries were 5 months apart. I am sick, sick, sick of rehabbing.

[QUOTE=gortmore;5324089]
I am sick, sick, sick of rehabbing.[/QUOTE]

I know that feeling! I have 2 Bachelor’s and now a MSc and am thinking man I should have just gone to PT school. After 10 surgeries and 6 of those needing rehab plus in between surgery rehab has made me a PT pro. Are you like me by getting bored at PT? They have to keep changing my routine otherwise I get annoyed. :yes:

I was scheduled for shoulder surgery last spring and something else came first, so the surgeon injected my shoulder in the mean time.
Didn’t hurt any, didn’t even know anything was done, don’t think it helped either.
Will have the surgery maybe this spring, they tell me, if something else doesn’t happen again.

I would say injecting a joint is very much a non-event, compared with a sore joint.:yes:

Sick of physio, bored with the exercises, fed up with hitting a plateau and not being able to get past it.

I will say this though I would much rather be rahabbing and healthy then those I know who have long term terrible illnesses. I have a fabulous team and I know we will get this fixed one day.

My physio laughs when he has a new patient and I am there. He always says that I could just give them all the exercises for the shoulders as I know them all, the order that we start them in, etc. Sad really. I have never made it to graduation from physio yet. Just waiting.

I too think I should have just gone into Sports Med or Physio with the amount of time I spent there and with the Undergrad and MA now I would have spent just as long at school.

I have rheumatoid arthritis. I’ve had several joint, tendon sheath and bursa cortisone injections. The tendon sheath injection was a stellar success as it’s been over ten years and the problem hasn’t recurred. Hip bursa injections have also been very successful–I’ve had to be wheeled in to get them but was able to walk out on my own. The two that didn’t work were in the wrist and a toe.

I’ve never had a shoulder done but probably will need to at some point, as well as knees. I won’t hesitate to try this route as needed because the chance of success is good, and there’s little downside. Some have been more painful to receive than others, but they are over quickly and the pain isn’t horrible while they are being done.

Rebecca

I get them in the facet joints in my C-spine about every 6 months. Not a big deal, I can be in & out in 15 minutes. The local is great, at least until it wears off, which is generally when you get back to your car. Some days, the drive home sucks though. I have been know to bring an ice pack with me. Depends on how long I let it go before I get it fixed. More inflamation = more pain. I don’t let it go as long as I used to.

I get the sick of rehab thing. Seems like I’ve been doing for 15 years. I have a pretty regular cycle of repairing my C-spine and (literally) running myself into the ground again. They laugh at me at the gym, since I have the most comprehensive knowledge of NSAIDS, even better than the oldsters. My attitude at PT isn’t the best, kind of fatalistic, “here we go again” and “see you guys next year!” They are starting to understand why after my 3rd trip there.

cortizone is a wonder drug! there is a decent chance you will feel completely better :slight_smile: I separated my shoulder (pre-horses!) and got a shot after doing enough PT to know I had gotten as far as I could. amazingly better.

I agree, though, dont look at the needle. and it will hurt a bit, but not for long.

good luck!

I had them in my back almost 15 years ago, and it was a horrible experience. I would, however, do it again in a heartbeat, as I have seen it work wonders for a lot of people, and I primarily blame myself that it did not help me. I know that this will sound familiar to many horsepeople–when your vet does a joint injection, you follow his/her care instructions to the letter, I’m betting, but, when a doctor tells you what to do, you say, “oh, I feel fine, and head right out to the barn”–or at least that’s what my dumb *ss did. Follow the “after” instructions as you would for the vet!

I have had injections in my shoulder, neck, epidural space, wrist and elbow. If the elbow had been my first it would have been my last because that hurt more than I can even express. Not sure if something went wrong or what but about ten minutes after the injection my arm was on fire from my shoulder to my palm. The pain lasted about two hours and was absolute hell.
The others were uncomfortable but not painful going in and worked miracles of varying lengths afterward.

Well, was I EVER WRONG.

My shoulder injections years ago (pre-surgery last summer) were a combo of 2mL marcaine and 1mL methylprednisone.

No problem.

So I apparantly upset my shoulder by shoveling the 30" of snow we got after Christmas, then having to drag 16 bales of hay (60 lb bales) - one by one - on a tarp 150+ feet through the deep snow plus 20+ bags of pelleted bedding… well, let’s just say the shoulder was screaming.

So I went back to the surgeon yesterday. Ended up getting injected with 5mL marcaine, 5mL lidocaine AND 2.5mL methylprednisone. Total 12.5mL. AFTER he kept having to re-direct the needle as he was either hitting bone or the bone anchors he put in in July.

Not a happy person today. Hoping it will feel better in a few days like the doc says it will :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=tarynls;5381055]
Well, was I EVER WRONG.

My shoulder injections years ago (pre-surgery last summer) were a combo of 2mL marcaine and 1mL methylprednisone.

No problem.

So I apparantly upset my shoulder by shoveling the 30" of snow we got after Christmas, then having to drag 16 bales of hay (60 lb bales) - one by one - on a tarp 150+ feet through the deep snow plus 20+ bags of pelleted bedding… well, let’s just say the shoulder was screaming.

So I went back to the surgeon yesterday. Ended up getting injected with 5mL marcaine, 5mL lidocaine AND 2.5mL methylprednisone. Total 12.5mL. AFTER he kept having to re-direct the needle as he was either hitting bone or the bone anchors he put in in July.

Not a happy person today. Hoping it will feel better in a few days like the doc says it will :)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t trust a doctor that after multiple attempts cannot get the injection in the right place. :no:

Hopefully you are feeling better but that is ridiculous. I know my surgeon injects the same spot for his knee injections and I’ve NEVER had an issue hitting anything. (Now I did find out I’m highly allergic to the knee meds, but we couldn’t find that out before hand, would have made life a lot easier :rolleyes: )