Joint replacement equestriennes and equestrians . . .

As someone with two artificial knees, an artificial hip, and a shoulder replacement, I suggest anyone with similar replacements purchase Yak Tracks or similar anti-slipping boot attachment for barn chores and other on the ground activities in boots during ice and snow season.

Secondly, be religious about spreading ice melt or salt on slick areas of your stable/barn. We take such good care of our horses in winter, with special pads and shoes, we owe it to our new joints to protect them. It’s only going to take one minor slip and fall to undo what took a lot of surgery and PT to fix – my PT suggested Yak Tracks, but it actually took me two winters to buy a pair - just plain stupid on my part --they work great --there are other options too --only down side is you can’t ride in them (or I can’t because they make my boot too grippy) and I don’t drive in them, but I guess you could.

Thanks. We don’t get a lot of snow, more ice than anything here. Got two knees,
brand new hip and one or both shoulders waiting in the wings. Sigh! Rode for first time after hip replacement Wednesday and in 7 months. Hip is fine…the rest of my muscles are screaming. Wasn’t going to trot but…

Thanks. We don’t get a lot of snow, more ice than anything here. Got two knees,
brand new hip and one or both shoulders waiting in the wings. Sigh! Rode for first time after hip replacement Wednesday and in 7 months. Hip is fine…the rest of my muscles are screaming. Wasn’t going to trot but…

It’s inspiring that you are continuing to ride! Good for you!

A company I worked for had Yak Tracks in their catalog back in about 2001, and I bought a pair thinking they’d be next to useless. They are terrific! Not just for those with new joints. I can trip over the pattern in a rug. Hate to walk on ice: I slipped on black ice in my driveway one day and spent 3 days in the hospital with a broken humerus. 2 plates and 9 screws are still there. I just ordered a new pair off Amazon. Worth every penny!