Unlimited access >

Joys of owning a herding breed

@marmarmar so cute!!

I need to get a ball like that.

Yup, agility is all about the handling to get from one obstacle to the next. Front cross, rear cross, blind cross, backsides of the jumps, in / out commands … those are all super helpful when running a course. With horses, your flatwork improves your jumping. Same with agility.

You can also teach some trick dog stuff. There are video’s online. AKC has a trick dog titling program that has gone ‘virtual’ due to COVID. Even if you don’t care about the title, print out the forms and the evaluator guide, there are some fun things to teach your dog in there.

And obedience skills are never wasted.

2 Likes

I agree with everything you have said here! I’ve grown up with heelers and while they all have had their own unique personality they have all been very focused driven individuals. My current heeler was sooooo mouthy as a puppy. It was bite first ask questions second. Consistent training was they key. I will also support Corgis as super barkers. My trainer loves her corgis but they are always yapping about something.

I had a nippy Aussie pup so I feel your pain! I second the suggestion to teach tricks as that seemed to make her think and redirect her energy. Sometimes I swear the herding breeds are more intelligent than us!

I should update! My border collie/Kelpie/heeler mix that I start the thread about is now about 7 months old. He’s turning into a great dog. He knows lots of tricks and we will be exploring agility. Nipping or herding behavior has not been a continued issue. I think he just had to grow out of the crazy puppy stage.

The only nip he does is when he’s licking you he sometimes will gently use his teeth. More like a love nip. He’s also a very vocal dog. He talks a lot but it’s all his personality.

2 Likes

I’m late to this, but my new puppy is actually a corgi mix, mini blue heeler and corgi mix. I know, I know. His parents are working dogs and this guy will be a working dog on my SO’s ranch as well as our family dog.

Ollie is 11 weeks and oy the nipping. I had it under control, until this morning. He went full bore this morning for some reason after being very good for a week. I do try to re-direct to a toy or something that he can chew on but saying no seems to work better for him. Of course, sometimes he sasses back a little before relenting. lol He’s not a big barker at this time, but he will give a bark when he wants up on something, if he wants me to pick him up, or if he doesn’t want to do what he’s being told. He will do all of the commands that he knows so far, but sometimes he’s sassy about it while doing it. He’s super smart though and learned most commands the first 2 days we had him.

aww I love this update!

I have 3 heelers and a cowboy corgi (heeler/corgi)

All of them outgrew the niping. Only every once in a while when really excited Mojo will bite at my calf to get me out the door. That hurts… :joy:

I love Heelers, I will never own anything else. Best doggies ever.

3 Likes

That’s what my guy is, a cowboy corgi, but his heeler is mini heeler.

I’d love to see a picture of yours.

1 Like

Here he is :slight_smile: Beside my red heeler for comparison who was still under a year old in those pics.

3 Likes

Omg, he’s so cute!!!

I’m trying to get an idea of what Ollie will look like when older. He looks more heeler just longer but he’s just lost his puppy hair and he definitely has corgi hair.

Top two pictures were taken a week after the bottom two.

2 Likes

oh my hes just soooo precious :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Such cute doggies! Mine looks more Border collie imo.

2 Likes

Lets see pics!!

1 Like

Yes! The world needs more dog pics.

1 Like

If I can figure out how to post them on the new COTH, I will. He’s a cutie, brown and white.

1 Like

When you open the reply box, just click on the up arrow at the bottom right corner. Circled in red in the screenshot below.
It’ll give you options, pick which one you want.

1 Like

Thank you!

3 Likes

This one is from when he was younger.

3 Likes

oh my what an absolute cutie! Love the colour.

We have been a black dog only family until he came along but I do love that color. The photo doesn’t show it well but his eyes are pretty golden color. His name is Ollie too!

My older Border Collie mix is a gem too. These breeds are hard work, absolutely, but such wonderful dogs. It would be hard to get a different type.