Unlimited access >

Joys of owning a herding breed

That’s how I feel! We are on our third border collie and I pretty much feel like it’s the only breed we’ll have from now on.

That said, it takes a village. Our youngest border collie takes a short run with Hubby, 2-3 walks a day with me, and does agility and nose work with my daughter… and still has plenty of energy to stalk the cat. (She won’t hurt him, just likes to move him around).

I am at my second experience as herding breed owner but first with a puppy…what to say…I love her but she’s really really hyper! Runa is a now 7 months old Lupino Del Gigante, an ancient Italian breed of herding dogs. We got her when she was 2 months old and she’s been sassy and super energetic from day 1. Really smart too, easily trainable but wow, by the end of the day I’m really tired from walking, playing and studying how to entertain her and save our house :sweat_smile:
Our other dog is a greyhound (retired ex racer) and the difference between the two is huge. They get on together well and the only times she’s really tired is when Max plays with her in our big yard (have you ever chased or have been chased by a greyhound?LOL)
I feel maybe Runa is a little too challenging for our family now but I believe she’ll become a great family dog and a beautiful companion during our trail rides

2 Likes

Look into more mental stimulation for her rather than just physical. Too much physical exertion as a puppy can cause issues down the road.
A few things that are fun & easy to do…
“101 things to do with a box”
There are lots of results if you search this. Here’s one…

Beginning nosework games, again lots of different games for this

Thank you mommy_peanut! I’m already working with boxes, empty bottles, ropes in order to make diy toys for mental stimulation but she’s really smart and she finds out very quickly how to solve problems. I’ll start with nosework, I think she’ll love it!

1 Like

OMG, you guys have such cute puppers! I love all of the pics.

We have had 2 . An Aussie/ Border Collie / Heeler mix and now a Mini Aussie .

They were/ are very high energy and the most irritating thing was when they " heeled me" as I was doing chores! This has gone away with age thankfully.

Having a farm where they can be free and run as they wished( when we were out) really helped. Most intelligent dogs we have ever had. I swear they look deep into your eyes and understand what you are saying…

2 Likes