Unlimited access >

Judging conflict of interest?

I manage a local show series and have hired a judge for our final show in a couple weeks.

I’m also an exhibitor with a regional organization and had planned to compete at that year end final show, held the day following my series year end competition, but the judge has just been announced as the same one.

I feel that I shouldn’t compete under the same judge that I’m paying to officiate at my show, literally on the same weekend.

Thoughts?

I’m not questioning the integrity of the judge. I’m concerned it won’t look good for either of us, especially if my horse pins well.

I’m bummed either way.

I’m a judge and regularly judge the children of people that hire me. I think its ok, but maybe someone else can say otherwise? Ask the judge. Most of us do not put any weight towards managers that hire us!

Just FYI, it is my understanding that the USEF does NOT consider that a conflict of interest.

The relevant rule is GR1304-22-h:
“h. An entity that employs you or a member of your family, which includes individuals, corporations, partnerships, foundations, trusts, non-profit organizations, and any shareholder owning five or more percent of the stock, if any.”

A couple of years ago there was a rule change proposal, during which the USEF clarified that “hiring someone to judge a show” does NOT make you an “employer” in terms of the Conflict of Interest rules. (You can check with USEF if you want.)

But I agree with the “it doesn’t look good” sentiment.

2 Likes

Not at all, in my opinion. Unless the judge themselves is unethical (which is very unlikely) they know their job- to judge the horse and rider combination in front of them in an unbiased manner. Go have a great show, confident that you and the judge are both doing exactly as you should.

2 Likes

No. I used to hire judges for a local show series and also competed.

Noting that I inherited that job when the previous person was accused of influencing the judges she hired. But she was announcing and sitting with the judge and pointing out her daughter. The judges may or may not been influenced by her, but the optics weren’t good and she was asked to stop. Whereupon she had a fit and stormed out of the board meeting.

1 Like

I don’t consider this a conflict. This happens all the time. You hired the judge, you didn’t marry her. She’s supposed to be neutral. If this was a conflict no barn that hosted/hired a judge could have their own students compete in the show— and obviously this happens all the time. I think you are fine.

1 Like

I think it’s possible that horse showing generally is more relaxed about what would be a conflict of interest in other settings, because the interested and qualified population is small enough that it is hard to find someone who doesn’t have a conflict.

I remember helping find judges for a small local organization. We didn’t want judges with their own students in the class, but whatever local judge we selected would mean that several riders that were her students couldn’t enter that division. Every local judge choice ruled out a certain number of riders from showing. It was affecting class size! And not much fun for riders who couldn’t show as they wished.

So we did all we could to recruit judges from elsewhere, whose standards were in line with what our local community expected. Did deals on travel, put them up in local homes (still avoiding conflicts with people showing!) … just to be sure that as many riders as possible could enter as many divisions as possible with no conflicts re the judge. And sometimes even traded out, sending our judges elsewhere in exchange!

1 Like

At a fun show I personally see no problem but

my daughter lost a national championship by one point to a girl who was riding in competitions that were being judged by her aunt

Daughter was not happy.

We reviewed the rules of the organization finding there was no conflict with what the girl did.

My daughter’s recourse was to suggest a rule change to the regional rep who then presented the suggested change to the national board who accepted the change where a person competing could not gain points if being judged by a close family member with specifics as to just who was considered a close family member.

Her horse never let her forget as he was the national champion (the competitions judged the horse and rider separately)

I personally wouldn’t have a problem for a schooling show, but when you have a financial relationship with the person, then it gets sticky. This is why you couldn’t show against your trainer who is judging

A family member is a totally different scenario

4 Likes

if it is a small unrated fun show or schooling show I personally do not see any problem of family members showing being judged by a family member.

Usually such shows are working from a small limited pool of volunteers, also if it is a close community most know the good horses/riders already…and usually a family member judging will be more harsh on one of their own

Thinking of barns that run shows - often they also compete, so they have hired the judge for the show they are competing at. I think that it is somewhat common and is something judges are used to. I don’t see how this is different? The judge isn’t staying with you are they?

Not a conflict.

Are they separate organizations (you hiring/you riding?). Unless you have a personal relationship with the judge, I would consider her being hired by the organization, not you. Unless you are very distinct and the judge would be able to easily identify you while on a horse with a helmet or she actually listens to the announcer I don’t think she would even recognize you the next day at a show run by a completely different organization.

I wouldn’t go sit in the booth with her and chat either day just in case.

1 Like