Unlimited access >

Jump saddle for very long thigh ???

I tried them both with the stirrup bar set all the way back and they both made my back ache. Both felt harder to sit on than the cushy French saddles too. I sent them back and got a Voltaire Stuttgart used that seems to work for both of us, by sheer chance. Well, chance and trying a dozen or more saddles…

I hadn’t chimed in earlier because of course any custom saddle can be ordered with a forward flap, but the recent comments about back pain have drawn me in. Have a look at this article for a way better explanation than I could give from Jimmy Wofford: https://www.equisearch.com/articles/saddledesign_032105
Many eventing saddles and some jump saddles have a greater distance between the balance point of the seat and the stirrup bar than the vast majority of riders need. Having that distance too great is probably what is leading to your back pain.
If this is a consistent problem for you, I suggest you have a look at Harry Dabbs saddles. The balance point in the jump saddles is further forward than many other jump saddles, though the event saddles have a greater distance as is appropriate for cross-country at a more advanced level. I currently have three in stock that also have extra forward flaps for those of you shopping.

1 Like

If you can find a Barnsby Diablo, definitely worth a try. Loved mine but it stopped fitting my guy after a few years. :sob:

I have a long thigh and currently ride in an old Harry Dabbs Jaguar XJS that is practically the only saddle I could find that fit both me and my difficult-to-fit horse. I really like the balance and use it for both stadium and cross country. The Harry Dabbs Jaguar, Cobra, and Dominus jump saddles were actually all designed by Peter Menet, founder/designer of Amerigo. The Dominus jump was also recommended to me as a good fit for long-legged riders but I couldn’t find one in a wide tree.

I have both a L’Apogee monoflap and a Childeric monoflap. Love both and they ride similar for me. I have a wide in the Childeric for my WB and a MW L’Apogee for my TB. I also have a Childeric dressage saddle for my TB which is so comfortable and just fits me.

I tried the devoucoux and I hated it. I felt like I was in a chair seat. I had the prestige eventer and it felt wonky to me with the +4 flaps. The Antares wasnt bad and I like my trainers but couldn’t find a 3AAA with the panels I needed. My old trainer was sponsored by pessoa and the monoflap wasnt bad but also not really a great fit for me. I agree with others, it’s not just the flap size but where the stirrup bar is placed and the angle that it puts your leg.

I rode in the BC Tex eventer and it was incredibly balanced but I couldn’t find one used that fit both me and the horse. I have ridden in a few models and I may go custom with one in the future.

Forgot to update this thread but I ended up buying a Voltaire Stuttgart (deeper seat) in a 17" (smaller than I thought I needed…) with a 3AAA (extra long/forward) flap. That combination seems to work - my back hasn’t been sore since I got it! I think the smaller seat was key to balance, and the long flap prevents my knee going over the front.

Interestingly I tried a Voltaire Palm Beach and hated it, and many similar French/Italian saddles (CWD, Devocoux, Prestige, Antares, Delgrange) and also Takt, Stubben and the Bates Advanta and Victrix.

1 Like