Unlimited access >

Jump saddle size versus dressage saddle size?

I am in the market for a new jump saddle, my current one is a 16.5 inch. However my new dressage saddle is a 17 inch, as suggested by my saddle fitter . I am wondering if typically you go down a half a size in a jump saddle? I have not asked a saddle fitter about this, and I should have, but I know you guys will have answers!!

Mine are the same size

1 Like

It depends on the depth of the seats of the saddles. 1/2" down on jump is typical.

3 Likes

And it’s like anything fitted, jeans or breeches or boots or sneakers.

Between different designs by the same brand, or between brands, you might need a different size.

Typically you get out of the tack more in a jumping saddle. Posting, two point, forward seat canter. You sit everything in dressage. If the saddle has big thigh rolls or a deep seat you lose more room.

My dressage and jump saddles are both 18. I can ride in 17.5. But 17 in dressage quickly gave me lower back pain as my pelvis couldn’t follow at canter. On the other hand, I can cope with a 17 jump saddle even if it’s obviously too small for me. I have a generous though not weirdly long femur and a bit of a butt.

1 Like

After sitting in over 50 Dressage saddles from 13 different brands while shopping for one last year, I can definitively say I have even less of an idea what seat size I am now than before I started shopping, lol. I’m a 16.5" in a jump saddle, but I felt good in everything from a 17" to an 18" Dressage saddle depending on whether it was a forward or straight flap, where the stirrup bar was placed and what the block shape and position was like. A block that’s up in my business can make a saddle that’s otherwise the right seat size feel way too small because there’s not enough room for my knees so my femur/pelvis gets shoved back in the seat. The one thing I’m sure of after that experience is that a 16.5" Dressage saddle IS too small, so I do prefer a slightly larger seat in a Dressage saddle.

2 Likes

A lot of dressage saddles tend to have deeper seats than most cc saddles. What I understand is that, if the seat is deep, you’ll probably have to go up at least a half inch in seat size. So if your cc saddle has a seat that is more open and it’s a 16.5", then a 17" dressage saddle (which probably has a deeper seat) makes sense.

1 Like

My Prestige Passion D Jump is a 17" (they do not do half sizes)
My Prestige Venus K Dressage is an 18"

I could’ve gone 18 on my jump, but I like feeling held in a little more with the CC saddles, so I opted for a more forward flap to give my leg room with the shorter seat. My horse is quite short backed as well, so the shorter the saddle the better for him.

1 Like

I’m short (5’2" ish) & petite build with what I affectionately call freakishly long femurs. I might be able to get away with a 16.5 jumping saddle in one of the custom brands with numerous flap lengths/angles available. I easily need an 18 in a dressage saddle & have not been uncomfortable riding in an 18.5.

The whole hip/SI area is so complex with so many variations on normal that I have to think it isn’t just leg length to consider, though.

1 Like

My jump saddle is an 18" and my dressage saddle is 17.5", so the opposite of most here, but they are different brands from each other so that may explain it.

2 Likes

I agree with @wanderinglemon ; my dressage is 17" and my jump is 18". I can easily ride in anything from a 17-19" jumping saddle just fine, whereas for dressage I feel the seat size matters more. keep in mind the measurement is the tree length though, so my 17" dressage is the tree: it was made for me, so the seat is “tighter” than your typical 17" as I am thin/tall, but we wanted to maximize surface to fit my horse ideally.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your responses! I guess I just need to start shopping!!