Unlimited access >

Jump saddles with short flaps? Flaps for short legs?

I’m starting the process of shopping for a new jump saddle. After the success of my custom dressage saddle I’m throwing around the idea of a jump saddle with a different flap shape/length for my 28" inseam legs. Having this thought if I have a short flap, short block dressage saddle and it’s not hindering my position, maybe a custom jump saddle might be in order. An instructor also suggested I get a saddle with less bulky knee blocks so my leg isn’t being shoved back.

Can anyone comment on different flap shapes and lengths and what the result in position is? I know a few French jump saddles have all sorts of codes for their flaps, so maybe some people familiar with that can bring me some knowledge

I think there are too many variables at play to get helpful info for your specific situation. Your femur to lower leg ratio will probably impact the fit more than literal leg length. Broad strokes, but I think folks with a long femur generally trend towards to a more forward flap. Preferred stirrup length while jumping also has an impact, as well as the natural balance point of the saddle and the relative position of stirrup bars. Everyone’s got their opinions on blocks, but the general consensus is if they’re regularly interfering with your riding, they’re not appropriate for you (be that size, stiffness, placement, etc).

If I were you, I’d take my stirrups with me (adjusted to my preferred length already) to a tack store and sit in a bunch of different saddles. When you have a rough idea of what you like, call up your saddle fitter and see if they can bring a few configurations for you to try on your horse as well.

The best way to know if it will work is to sit in one, and if you’re going to shell out for a custom saddle, you may as well do everything you can to make sure it works before you put the order in!

3 Likes

I am also blessed/cursed with short legs but have petite flaps, 12 inches, on both my dressage and jump saddle. I ride in Black Country’s and have the ricochet jump… it is the most balanced and secure saddle I’ve ever had (bought in 2014 and still going strong!). I say all this to put a BC on your list to try!

I currently have a ricochet, and in the past I had a quantum for a different horse. If could have either of those with short flaps, and slightly less knee/thigh blocks, I would be a happy camper!

You could easily fix both the flaps and the blocks without having to buy a new saddle! If interested in going that route, PM me!

1 Like

Trilogy makes jumping saddles with short flaps as a standard option. I don’t know what their jumping saddles are like, but their dressage saddles are really nice (I have one, WITH the short flap option)!

Myself, I went with a custom jumping saddle (a Regal), as at the time I already had a custom Regal dressage, so he knew my flap needs. My Regal dressage has since had to be retired (hence the Trilogy), but my Regal jumping saddle is going strong.

For the French saddles, there is typically a number that corresponds to the flap length with 2 usually being the “standard” length flap and a 1 or 0 flap being the short / shortest flap options. The length is respective to the seat size so a 2flap on an 18” is longer than a 2 flap on a 16”. IME there really isn’t a standard length. Look at used CWDs with the same flap stamp and seat size and you’ll see different inch measurements despite being coded the same (redwood tacks site lists measurements that will give you an idea).

I see your “0 flap being the shortest” and raise you my 00 Antares :laughing:

OP, I’ve had both a CWD and an Anatres. CWD the shortest flap is a 0 (I have my 0L, shortest straightest configuration, for sale currently). I now have a 00D Antares (shortest, straightest) that I got used and is just slightly too short for me. I’m fairly short hip to knee and longer knee to ankle, so I generally fit best in a straight flap.

I would sit in a bunch and get an idea of what flap length works best for you - I know for me, I need something around 12’’ from stirrup bar to bottom of the flap and pretty straight.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I’ve maybe sat in something like a CWD, Antares, Voltaire once. I’m not sure those saddles would fit my Connemara with a short back, but I like it idea of sitting in different flaps to get an idea.

I have no experience with Antares so good to know! I’ve seen a few 0 flaps on the used market but often on child sized saddles. I’m currently on my own hunt for a short flapped jump saddle and have yet to find one I believe is truly short enough (and I’m not THAT short with a fair amount of leg - it’s just preference!).