Unlimited access >

Jump vests grand prix riders wear

There were a couple fantastic, detailed comments in response to the article on Facebook from tack shop owners/managers. I’m not usually a big fan of Plaid Horse but I appreciated the knowledgeable discourse this time.

3 Likes

Yes. It was the issue before the one with the Olympic results. I think. Horse fell, rider didn’t separate from horse, vest therefore didn’t deploy, horse landed on rider where the air canister was.

I don’t think even a deployed vest would help when your horse lands on you! (There was a rider at TBird this year, normal safety vest, horse landed on him……vest didn’t help at all!) For me….my horse bucks and drops his shoulder….I have short legs and when he’s in “that mood” I don’t stand a chance! Or when I do “get launched” …again short legs ! For me, it’s balancing the risks….wearing the vest for me, makes more sense….

After landing on my back and suffering a bad injury at TBird the vest definitely would of helped (I didn’t have one then)….I watched quite a few riders simply get up and walk away after some bad falls and all were in the air vest. one girl right before me, missed to an oxer, horse went down to his nose, and she flew over his head and landed on her back, she simply got up and dusted herself off….me…same fence, except my horse jumped huge and I flew over his head….I was carted off by ambulance on a backboard!

1 Like

Oh thank you everyone. I was wrong not to check back sooner. My apologies. I did get a vest from Dover and a new OneK with MIPS. I did not get a vest with canisters. I needed a vest right away so bought the Tipperary eventing one certified. I went to our Dover store in Moraga, CA. It was the one that fit properly on the rack. It is amazing how the sense of self confidence returns after 2 rather dramatic launches from my young horse. Once he starts over fences, which won’t be for awhile, I will get one with canisters and keep a supply of canisters on hand. Those aren’t cheap. :blush: again, thank you to everyone for all the replies and advice.

No that’s not the case at all. Standard vests are required and air vests are optional because they have no data behind them.

Standard vests are what save Eventers. Not air vests.

Air vests are good for soft falls. Not good for bad falls.

1 Like