Unlimited access >

Jump vests grand prix riders wear

Anyone know the brand grand prix jump riders wear for jump vests? More and more are sporting them. Not the kind with the air canisters that the eventing folk seem to favor. Suggestions?

Yes, they are almost all air vests! They look different from eventers because jumpers do not wear the regular protector underneath. There’s many different brands. I see a lot of Helite and horse pilot

1 Like

The air vest of choice at the moment seems to be the Horse Pilot version. It is slim and looks less air vest like. They can be zipped into a show jacket so you don’t have to put it over something else.

1 Like

So… how does this work if you get launched and it needs to inflate? Does it push out against the jacket and your ribs until something gives, or push in on itself and fail to inflate?

1 Like

[Argh! What is up with my edits not saving to the correct thread tonight??]

Whatever manufacturer’s website I was on, the vest looked like it zips into a proprietary jacket that’s a mesh fabric. Maybe it is designed to stretch enough to accommodate the vest inflating? That’s all I can figure.

Depends on the vest. Horse Pilot expand outwards. I use a Point Two and those inflate inwards.

The jackets are specifically designed to go with the air vests. I’m sure they give somewhere.

I have the Helite ZipN2, it zips into a coat made by Dada sport that is SUPER stretchy so if the vest deploys it just stretches out.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! I have a lot of questions, but I will save those for the manufacturer. :slight_smile:

I have the Helite one…if you want to wear it under a show jacket, you need to buy one of their specially designed jackets (by DaDa sport) that it zips into so it can inflate properly! I just wear mine over my regular show jackets ….just had a show this past weekend and finished 2nd in a Hunter classic…judge came upto me after and thanked me for showing “safety is also for hunters “ !

6 Likes

The Grand Prix riders are wearing Free Jump, Helite and Horse Pilot.

I’ve tried the Helite and Horse Pilot. The Horse Pilot is made for French people’s body types, so if you have curves of any kind it will have an awkward fit. I went with Helite as the vest fit me better, was less intrusive (Horse PIlot has a flat but rather large cartridge), and had better options for the coat or vest to put over the vest than Horse Pilot.

I wanted to like the Horse Pilot but I didn’t feel like it did me any good being too wide up top and rolling up my hips. What would it protect? Helite didn’t fit that way and fits just right. This is something to consider if you are looking. Horse Pilot does work well on riders without curves, though, and is still a great vest!

2 Likes

Also, the Helite compressed air cartridges are also the same ones that are in their motorcycle air vests! So many motorcycle shops sell the cartridges (if your local tack shop doesn’t stock them) Price is the same, but for me, it saves on the shipping!

I also have the Helite, I wear it over my coat for the hunters, which is increasingly popular. I like it, my only complaint is that it reeks after a boiling summer! I spray it with Odorban and air it out a couple times a week, but still stinks.

2 Likes

I went with the Hit Air Advantage because it was the coolest in terms of ventilation. I’m in Florida and I overheat very easily, so I had to have something that could breathe! I’m thinking about the the Helite to show in as the Hit Air isn’t a great look over a show jacket, but it certainly hasn’t affected me in the show ring yet!

I wipe mine down lightly with a damp cloth and hang to dry……baby wipes are my daily go to! That’s the one bad thing about them, washing them will void the warranty as the water will damage the mechanism!

1 Like

Does anyone know why they chose air vests over traditional protective vests? I event and I routinely wear my tipperary every ride. However, the rationale for the just air vest on its own never seemed clear.

1 Like

My understanding is that both are worn in eventing to cover different fall types. As in, if a horse falls and the vest’s cord is not disengaged, it won’t inflate and the rider won’t be protected. I’ve also heard something about the fixed vests protecting a different part of the body and were better for impact protection (hoof)?

From what I understand, the inflatable vests protect better for straight-up rider falls and are obviously less bulky than the fixed vests. Hence the appeal. We don’t have as many rotational falls in our sport.

I ride in a Helite and like it. The canister is a little big for my taste but the design is fairly unobtrusive and not too hot.

3 Likes

Air vest alone not allowed in eventing. Traditional shell type is required. Both together is OK.

1 Like

there is an interesting article in the plaid horse about these vests. i’m about 99.9% sure @RAyers is one of the interviewees. You should read what he has to say.
https://www.theplaidhorse.com/2020/09/15/air-vests-are-all-the-rage-but-are-they-truly-safe/?fbclid=IwAR2eqjkvuXk5aOwaFhfcZDGpuJAua5q51NM_-s5bAEZ5rpLN17Hnn9lxwsg

6 Likes

There was also an article in the Chronicle (I think) recently about a trainer who was wearing an airvest only when her horse fell. Because she was not thrown the air vest did not engage and she was badly injured from striking the canister.

2 Likes