Unlimited access >

Jumper barn recommendations south of Portland, Oregon

My daughter is 15 and I would consider her an intermediate rider, but she does not have her own horse right now. We are looking for a good jumping program that would possibly offer lease options. Mainly, I want her learning properly. She’s been kind of up-and-down with trainers, with some being good and some not so good. So looking for a solid program with a good reputation. Anyone know anything about Iron Horse riding Academy? We have tried French Hill and was not a good fit for us. Looking for other recommendations. We are closer to Oregon city and West Linn in Portland.

Don’t know anything about Iron Horse nor do I know anyone who has ridden there, but that could be because it’s a smaller program.

I think it really depends on what your kiddo’s goals are, and what you can financially swing. Are they looking to lease a horse to start showing? Are they wanting to get to the A show level, or stick with mostly local shows? Would they rather spend time at home, just hanging out and learning with the lease horse? Go on trail rides? As parent, what are you looking to spend every month? These factors will change the trajectory of where you’ll want to end up.

Happy to provide more recommendations based on those answers!

Oh, those are great questions. I really appreciate that.

She’s been taking weekly lessons now for at least five years at different barns. She’s mainly focused on jumping but in truth has really not had consistent training with someone that I really think is good. She’s had moments of that in between casual equitation trainers that were OK (she’s good with flat work) but certainly not preparing her for the real jumping world. For example, she had a trainer that didn’t have her in 2-point once…but had her going over fences. So you get the idea! I think she has the basic idea but really needs someone to clarify and give her some real structure and good training. I would say she’s probably intermediate because she can jump a small course (low fences) no problem. She did a casual show two years ago and cantered a course and did well considering her lack of course experience at that time. She’s been on green horses and handled them really well with guidance…although not over fences but just flat work.

In my opinion, she needs to start from scratch and get the basics solid and clarified.

We just went to start out with small shows and nothing serious. Part of that is definitely due to budget. I think she just needs to get a few shows under her belt and see how she feels about it. She definitely likes the time in between all of that though just to kind of hang out with her horse and just ride and have fun. She does want to do trail riding and some laid-back things as well as the jumping. She’s she doesn’t want it to be all about lessons and getting the ribbons.

As her parent, I need it to be not too far from Oregon city. I am lucky that I have a pretty flexible schedule and she will be driving soon as well. We probably wouldn’t be able to go out to the barn every single day though. I would say five days a week minimum so a lease is probably a good plan.

Several years ago when she was little, I was boarding a quarter horse who was very low maintenance. I was out about five days a week and paid about 500 a month in board as well as a few extra expenses for upkeep, but that was about it. It almost seems cheaper to own one in a way. But I realize the lessons and all of that factor in. Honestly, my budget is about 800 but I’m not sure if that’s realistic at all.

I’m not sure if I covered everything that you asked, but that’s kind of where we are. I definitely have budgetary concerns though. Not sure if it’s gonna work but just wanted to first start with what barns to focus on what barns to stay away from him. Or perhaps I should say trainers!

I echo everything that zany said. I do know Iron Horse and Adria a bit. She seems like a good human and horseman but I’m not super familiar with her program. I’m guessing you’ve seen her advertise some half leases recently which look like great sorts. It is an eventing program which is not the same as the hunter jumper style at French Hill. Her program will be more relaxed and low key. French Hill is an excellent program but not for everyone for many reasons. Feel free to PM me, it would be helpful to know why that program was not a good fit and I may be able to steer you in other directions

Now I read your response and know more! You probably can’t find a 5 day a week program for that price that is going to actually supervise and provide your kid with good instruction and keep them safe. Iron horse sounds like it could be a good fit for you knowing all that. I would also highly recommend Kimberlinn Farms. She is an excellent horseman and her beginners have excellent foundations and her more advanced riders are lovely riders and real good kids. She seems willing to work with budgets and is just a kind and thoughtful human. She is in Beavercreek which would be quite reasonable.
You could also talk to Meg Dunne, she’s got a huge crew of barn rat kids and is quite close. They do show quite a bit but lots local and are very fun people.

Whatever you do, call multiple barns, be clear about goals and budget, and then ask to come and watch a few lessons. It sounds like you know enough to know if something isn’t right. Again, feel free to PM me

Oh wow that is super helpful. I think a direct message conversation would be great. I will be working on that today and send it a bit later, but I so appreciate the help.

Agree with Kimberlinn after reading your response. Tracey is great with fundamentals and a super positive yet constructive teacher. And she’s right in OC too.

One thing I’ll warn you of is that owning is NOT cheaper than leasing in almost every circumstance. The purchase price of the horse is almost always the cheapest part of horse ownership (barring if you’re buying a $500k+ big eq horse/jr Hunter/GP jumper). Maintenance costs in terms of shoeing, appropriate vet work, training rides, lessons, insurance etc. all add up VERY fast, not to mention if said horse becomes injured, you’re on the hook for all those expenses as well.

Would definitely recommend looking for a half lease or care lease to start if you can find it.

I hope this helps!!

1 Like

hi!
I have a hunter/jumper barn about 30 minutes south of OC. We have a few dedicated kids ranging from cross rails to the 1m jumpers showing locally and further afield. Lease horses and lesson horses available and a huge focus on correct riding from the start! A few kids have come to us needing to get back to basics, and the hard work pays off so well. (even though its hard to go from 2’6 show dreams to poles for a bit)
Feel free to DM me or check out Kingfisher Sporthorses on socials (our website is kingfishersporthorses.com)

ETA: whatever you do, go see lots of barns. are the horses looking healthy? (shiny coats, fat and relaxed) are the stalls comfortably bedded and clean? are the turnouts safe and appropriate for the size of the program (ie 40 horse with 10 paddocks or 20 horses with 30 paddocks) is the barn well kept?
Watch lessons, talk to the students, parents, staff. there are a lot of crazies out there. as you’ve seen it doesn’t take much to become a “trainer” and as you get more serious about the sport don’t underestimate the power of the “kool aid”

make sure they are the program for YOU .

1 Like

You might also check out Kathy Kerron’s program, Echelon. No lesson horses but I’ve seen her post some nice lease/half lease options (full disclosure: I’m not sure about budget on her leases). She has a mix of hunter/jumper/eq and is excellent. Only a handful of mostly more serious-minded juniors, so not the ton of kids vibe, if that’s what you’re looking for, but a Kathy is an amazing instructor both in terms of her own knowledge and her ability to communicate it and coach others.