Unlimited access >

Jumper boots flatting?

Just bought shedrow open front boots to make my life easier as I polo my horse’s legs whenever I ride. I will of course use them when I jump but was wondering if I should/can use them when I’m flatting or if it makes more sense to polo and only use the boots jumping. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I try to always use polos unless the footing is wet. I feel they keep legs tight. Other people are totally against polos, but I think that is for people who don’t know how to wrap.

1 Like

Depends on what your flatting consists of, how your horse moves, and what you think the boots will achieve, but generally yes it’s fine to do it in open front jumping boots. However if you are doing a lot of galloping, lateral work and/or your horse is prone to striking itself you might want to go with something with more coverage.

Personally I use Eskadron Air open fronts for jumping, Woof boots for XC or trail riding, and fleece Dressage Sport Boots for flatting/dressage.

1 Like

I only flat my horses in jumper boots, or Valena Woolback boots in the winter, so I think it’s probably fine unless your horse interferes badly. I use both open front and wrap around ankle boots and have never had issues with my current horses, but my first jumper interfered behind so I did not use open front hinds on him.

I don’t use regular polos, ever, although I do have a couple of sets of T-Sport wraps by Equifit for when my old man comes out with stocked up back legs and I don’t want to use boots.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t typically use any boots or wraps for just a normal flat ride unless the horse has a history of striking himself. I feel that keeping the legs as cool as possible (especially in the summer) is super important and won’t use boots unless we are jumping. Boots and polos tend to trap heat against the leg and are only useful if you feel that a horse may interfere with himself or has the possibility of banging his legs on something. Besides, studies done on polo wraps show that they don’t really provide the support that we think they do. Horses are typically perfectly fine when flatted bare-legged. I may be wrong, but I feel that horses that flat bare-legged tend to have stronger tendons and ligaments. At least, that’s what a well-known trainer once told me.

Bottom line, if you want to use them, go ahead. They can definitely be used for that. However, I think you may just be putting extra wear and tear on the boots when there is no need. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We use similar for flat and jumping (different brand), and veredus for show. Never polos. When I am flatting I might use Kentucky fleece boots (dover style) up front and nothing behind.

3079-2.jpg

1 Like

My mare tracks close behind, so I use an old set of Eskadron hind boots when I flat just for that reason. No boots in front for flatting. Jump schooling I use my old set of front and hind boots. Only exception is when her legs are loaded up with scratches goop - only then do I use polos so that sand/footing doesn’t get inside the boots and rub. Like hunterjumper98, I am most concerned with keeping legs cool, if possible. I have a set of Eskadron Airs for showing.

1 Like