Unlimited access >

Jumper Derby?

I have looked all over and all I have found is Gamblers Choice rules but that is not what I need. At a schooling show coming up at the end of the second day they have a $500 hunter derby and a $500 jumper derby. At all past shows it had said $500 jumper derby - gamblers choice format. I know what a hunter derby is but what is a jumper derby? The show grounds used to be the large A/AA show Trader’s Point Hunt Charity Horse Show, but now they are doing schooling shows. They have a large grass grand prix arena with I believe banks and a hill if that gives you any more information. Thanks!

In theory it means that there will be natural obstacles involved, and a longer course. The previous jumper derby - gambler’s choice doesn’t make much sense to me.

Really they do need to provide more information, such as whether it will be run as faults converted to time or not, as both formats are common for derbies. Can you ask the show secretary?

I would ask for clarification purposes. The Jumper Derby’s at schooling schooling shows that I have been evolved in seem to mix the jumpers and hunter derby in a weird way. Pretty much, it evolved some natural obstacles and a much longer course. One we even jumped in and out of the arena, had a grob, had a up and down bank, and a few other natural type obstacles mixed in. However, it was still timed and not judged on the horse or rider.

[QUOTE=Belmont;8558326]
I would ask for clarification purposes. The Jumper Derby’s at schooling schooling shows that I have been evolved in seem to mix the jumpers and hunter derby in a weird way. Pretty much, it evolved some natural obstacles and a much longer course. One we even jumped in and out of the arena, had a grob, had a up and down bank, and a few other natural type obstacles mixed in. However, it was still timed and not judged on the horse or rider.[/QUOTE]

I did one last year with my former mare and it was a blast. Belmont described it perfectly. It consisted of cross country jumps and show jumping jumps. There was a small bank up and down, a huge roll top, some interesting brush fences. We jumped out and back into the arena. The horses were bet on before hand, which freaked my Ottb made out but I thought was cool. It was timed. I definitely want to do it again this year. Here is a video of my super slow round (my mare was spent before we entered due to the commotion).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rtURwdujv5s

Sounds like a Calcutta?