Unlimited access >

Jumper or Eventing Farms near Winston Salem/Greensboro, NC area?

I recently moved to Winston Salem, NC, and I’m looking to hopefully find a barn manager position. I’ve been riding for 9+ years, and I have the most experience in jumpers (although I have some in hunters and eventing as well). Anyone know of any good barns in the area or places to look? Thanks!

Welcome to Winston! There aren’t many eventing/jumper barns around here to be honest-much more hunter barns. I personally go to Deerwood farm, which is a hunter/equitation based barn. There is also Hidden K, which is out in Pfafftown. They do some eventing, but apparently they aren’t that good (?) they just have a bad rep for some reason. Irish Oaks is also in Winston , but I never hear much about them.

If you’re willing to drive, there are plenty of barns within a 45min-1hr radius of Winston. Other than that, it’s mainly hunter barns or really small middle-of-nowhere barns. I’m not too sure if we have an opening at Deerwood, but I can ask. Good luck finding a barn, and when you do, please tell me where it is! I’m desperate for a good eventing barn!!

Here are some more, never heard of them though, and I have been living here my whole life!! Cloud’s Harbor, Karver’s Creek Farm (mainly dressage), Apple Wood. Also, here’s a local tack store’s list of stables: http://www.purgasons.com/stables.html
http://www.tackonwheels.com/directory__new__

Ah I used to live in the area and was actually a trainer at a local barn for a few years. Are you looking more in the Winston or Greensboro area? Are your goals the A shows or more local stuff??

Clouds Harbor is excellent but $$$ and aimed more for the hunters.

There’s Torihope Farm in Greensboro which is a few blocks away from the Sedgefield showgrounds. Their trainer is excellent but is also more of an A show barn.

TTC in Mocksville has several eventers and their own XC course. They host all sorts of schooling shows throughout the year but I’m not sure if they currently have a resident trainer.

Irish Oaks is lovely and hosts several shows throughout the year. I’m not sure if they have any jumpers but I saw them at local and C rated hunter shows.

When I left a lot of my students went to Hunter’s Point in High Point. I don’t know much about them but they seem to be more of a hunter barn as well.

Hopefully that helps. There are a few more to avoid but I don’t want to out them on here. PM me if you’re interested :slight_smile:

For the right person, I am offering free board (you buy feed/hay) in exchange for work (bascially, mucking and vacation coverage; I can feed) on my private farm inside Winston-Salem city limits (near Yadkinville Road and Shattalon Drive). I have about 4 acres of pasture, two small barns each with two 10x10 stalls, run-ins, hay hut, a roundpen, and totally ride-able flat pastures with plans for a professionally installed arena in the next 1-2 years. I and my husband work full-time and I’m an adult re-rider, with an interest in dressage, but I wouldn’t mind jumps around. PM me if you’re interested. It’s a gorgeous spot. My boarders of two years are leaving. I don’t have a horse right now but have been shopping! My recent OTTB foster didn’t work out – ankle chips AND kissing spine :(. Would totally split the travel costs to have a trainer/instructor out.

Eventing Barn

[QUOTE=HDuckie;7014824]
Welcome to Winston! There aren’t many eventing/jumper barns around here to be honest-much more hunter barns. I personally go to Deerwood farm, which is a hunter/equitation based barn. There is also Hidden K, which is out in Pfafftown. They do some eventing, but apparently they aren’t that good (?) they just have a bad rep for some reason. Irish Oaks is also in Winston , but I never hear much about them.

If you’re willing to drive, there are plenty of barns within a 45min-1hr radius of Winston. Other than that, it’s mainly hunter barns or really small middle-of-nowhere barns. I’m not too sure if we have an opening at Deerwood, but I can ask. Good luck finding a barn, and when you do, please tell me where it is! I’m desperate for a good eventing barn!![/QUOTE]

Hi,
I am moving my eventing barn “MacJordan Eventing” to my private farm in Dobson, NC in January 2017. If you are willing to head that way, I will have some openings for students, and boarders. Check us out at macjordan-eventing.com!