Unlimited access >

Jumper Stallion suggestions for fresh semen in NA

[QUOTE=Zuri;7310921]
You are absolutely correct after the age deduction was taken. Without the age deduction, Bliss scored higher.[/QUOTE]

Well, since Bon Balou and Bliss are both 2006 models they both had age deductions. Banderas is the one who went through as a 4-yr old and that was in 2010.

Carry on…

[QUOTE=Sheila A;7312355]
Well, since Bon Balou and Bliss are both 2006 models they both had age deductions.[/QUOTE]

Yes. And here are the results from their score sheets.

Scores from Training Judge
Free Jumping
Bon Balou - 10.0
Bliss - 10.0

Stadium Jumping
Bon Balou - 9.0
Bliss - 9.5

Cross-Country Jumping
Bon Balou - 8.5
Bliss - 8.5

Scores from Test Judges
Free Jumping Technique
Bon Balou - 9.5
Bliss - 8.75

Free Jumping Scope
Bon Balou - 10.0
Bliss - 9.5

Stadium jumping scores given by Judge Riders
Bon Balou - 10.0
Bliss - 9.25

Final Jumping Index
Bon Balou - 125.04 (1st place)
Bliss - 124.23 (2nd place)

So while it is correct to say that Bliss received a higher score in stadium jumping from the training director, Bon Balou received higher scores than Bliss from the test judges for free jumping technique and scope, a higher score in stadium jumping from the judge riders, and a higher final jumping index.

Look at Mezcalero. Proven producer compared to some. :wink:

http://www.octoberhill.com/horses/mezcalero/

The bottom line is they both passed. How they end up being in the performance ring is still to be determined and whether they will be progenitors still another. If we only had a crystal ball. Certainly the exterior results and bloodlines for both sure helps with predicting that they will surely make fine babies with a future.

I am in love with Connor (holsteiner) right now but he is frozen.

I would check out Casciendo S who just completed the 70 day test, full brother to Validation S. Super nice, but the movement leaves much to be desired so keep that in mind.

[QUOTE=BaysofourLives;7313214]
I would check out Casciendo S who just completed the 70 day test, full brother to Validation S. Super nice, but the movement leaves much to be desired so keep that in mind.[/QUOTE]

Casciendo is actually only half brother to Validation and is very different in type. They are out of the same Lansing mare, but Validation is by Vallado whereas Casciendo is by the Cassini I son, Cassiano.

Omare, I’m also a huge fan of Connor! Loved the sons of his I saw in Neumunster last year!

I apologize, didn’t mean to stick the ‘full’ in front of brother. Very different in type, yes, but both can JUMP. Since Validation is in Europe, I think Casciendo is an extremely good option.

[QUOTE=DownYonder;7312704]
Yes. And here are the results from their score sheets.

Scores from Training Judge
Free Jumping
Bon Balou - 10.0
Bliss - 10.0

Stadium Jumping
Bon Balou - 9.0
Bliss - 9.5

Cross-Country Jumping
Bon Balou - 8.5
Bliss - 8.5

Scores from Test Judges
Free Jumping Technique
Bon Balou - 9.5
Bliss - 8.75

Free Jumping Scope
Bon Balou - 10.0
Bliss - 9.5

Stadium jumping scores given by Judge Riders
Bon Balou - 10.0
Bliss - 9.25

Final Jumping Index
Bon Balou - 125.04 (1st place)
Bliss - 124.23 (2nd place)

So while it is correct to say that Bliss received a higher score in stadium jumping from the training director, Bon Balou received higher scores than Bliss from the test judges for free jumping technique and scope, a higher score in stadium jumping from the judge riders, and a higher final jumping index.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for setting me straight. I am so embarrassed. Since my stroke at 52 in 2009, I get confused easily and I apologize for setting off a firestorm here. I come on this particular forum because I learn new things every time. Some of you have been so gracious in answering my questions. I don’t know any stallion owners personally nor do I have any friends that are stallion owners. I spend every day in bed, unable to get my horse fix, so I look at videos and read about stallions. Fortunately, I have a breeder/trainer friend and an excellent repro vet who take care of breeding my mare.

Thank you all for helping me understand the stallion testing results that I mistakenly misinterpreted. To those I have offended resulting in major snark, I apologize. Breeding my first foal brought incredible joy to my once active, horsey life. I am really looking forward to my Bliss foal in 2015 fingers crossed.

Zuri, no need to feel that way. :slight_smile: I can see how you would have that initial impression since it was advertised in a certain light. Both stallions received the deduction, as already explained. So in that Test, Bon Balou was the true champion. Every year is different, so hard to say that if there was a rematch, that the results would be the same… But both were lovely stallions and we really enjoyed working with them.

On a personal note, Barbara and I would be happy to stay in touch with you and be at your disposal for questions and information to the best of our ability. We have been very fortunate with the friends that we have been able to make doing the Testing ourselves, and if we can’t answer your questions, then we can probably make the right connection for you. We started off as just a couple of small breeding operation mare owners ourselves till we got together and started Silver Creek. So we can relate. Also, my grandfather had a series of strokes when I was younger, so that is something else close to my heart. Feel free to contact us at any time. :slight_smile: summer@silvercreeksporthorses.com and barbara@silvercreeksporthorses.com

a point of order here. They are not half and 3/4 brothers. They are all “by the same sire”. To be a half brother a horse would be out of the same mare but by a different sire. And just because Bliss and Bon Balou have mother’s whose sire was the same–Argentinus–does not make them 3/4 brothers. The sibling relationships are measured on the mother’s side–not on the sire’s side.

[QUOTE=Zuri;7322191]
Thank you so much for setting me straight. I am so embarrassed. Since my stroke at 52 in 2009, I get confused easily and I apologize for setting off a firestorm here. I come on this particular forum because I learn new things every time. Some of you have been so gracious in answering my questions. I don’t know any stallion owners personally nor do I have any friends that are stallion owners. I spend every day in bed, unable to get my horse fix, so I look at videos and read about stallions. Fortunately, I have a breeder/trainer friend and an excellent repro vet who take care of breeding my mare.

Thank you all for helping me understand the stallion testing results that I mistakenly misinterpreted. To those I have offended resulting in major snark, I apologize. Breeding my first foal brought incredible joy to my once active, horsey life. I am really looking forward to my Bliss foal in 2015 fingers crossed.[/QUOTE]

don’t apologize on here–you will always find snarky people posting here. I am afraid you will have to get used to it. Too many people picking at nits.

[QUOTE=back in the saddle;7312722]
Look at Mezcalero. Proven producer compared to some. :wink:

http://www.octoberhill.com/horses/mezcalero/[/QUOTE]

If you want him, 2014 is his last breeding year.

I’ve also been looking for fresh, NA based stallions so Mezcalero, Baldev and Kupido K have all come across my list.

Concerto Grosso

Concerto Grosso is a great stallion for getting older and more difficult types of mares pregnant. His semen ships well and is still very viable 72 hours after collection.

If you are looking for a sane, talented SOUND jumper, Concerto Grosso can’t be beat as a sire!

http://www.equine.com/myaccount/manage_details.aspx?lid=3225026

He has a FB page as well:

https://www.facebook.com/studconcertogrosso