Unlimited access >

Jumper Stallion suggestions for fresh semen in NA

I have a 17yo Oldenburg mare that had one foal when she was young, before she was imported. Due to her age I would like to breed her with fresh semen. I am located in Wisconsin.
Can you get fresh cooled from Canada to the US?
I am considering Cunningham (or Bon Balou or Banderas if I could get it fresh to WI) but would love any suggestions.

Here is her pedigree.
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/cici10

Thank you!

Bliss MF standing at Marabet Farm; Cartier standing at Rising Star Farm. Look at their videos! Awesome!

Bliss scored higher in jumping than Bon Balou and Banderas. All three stamp their foals and throw chrome. Cartier is an incredible jumper and stamps his foals as well. Both Maggie and Ronda are excellent to work with and extremely helpful. I am breeding my two mares to both Bliss and Cartier respectively in 2014. Both collect and ship the same day and the semen quality is excellent according to my breeding vet.

Best wishes for a lovely foal.

[QUOTE=M.Sarah;7294599]
I have a 17yo Oldenburg mare that had one foal when she was young, before she was imported. Due to her age I would like to breed her with fresh semen. I am located in Wisconsin.
Can you get fresh cooled from Canada to the US?
I am considering Cunningham (or Bon Balou or Banderas if I could get it fresh to WI) but would love any suggestions.

Here is her pedigree.
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/cici10

Thank you![/QUOTE]

There is no problem shipping fresh semen from Canada to the US.
The CEM restrictions apply to fresh semen coming from the US into Canada.

I really like all the stallions you have mentioned, so it would be a matter of which one suits your mare the best.
Jennifer at Dreamscape Farms ( who stand BB and Banderas) is extremely professional and helpful - I’m sure she could give you advice about which of her stallions suit your mare best.

Good luck!

What are your mare’s strengths and weaknesses? To me, Bon Balou and Banderas are quite different in type; I might use them on different mares. We can offer you a number of stallion suggestions; however, they all differ in type and blood, so it depends on the qualities of your mare as to which one would suit her best.

Another stallion for you to consider is Maggie’s Corlando son, Carry On MF. He is currently at the 70 day test. I only saw him go on the flat yesterday but I have to say, he is stunning. Apparently he was very impressive in the stadium jumping. I can’t wait to see him free jump! Obviously he is unproven and we will wait to see what his final scores are in the testing, but I am certainly keeping an eye on him!

There are also two young newly licensed Hanoverian stallions coming to Canada for next year: one is Coupe de Coeur/Werther/Gardeulan II who will be standing at Equitop Farm in Alberta (who was also just discussed recently on this forum); there is also a Stolzenberg/Graf Grannus/Graphit coming to new owners in Quebec, which should be quite interesting!

I really like Bon Balou as well: long legs, athletic, great mover, very scopey. Jennifer is great.

If you are considering Holsteiners, check out the AHHA stallion roster at:
holsteiner.com

Dakota VDL or any of the Hyperion Stud stallions might suit your fancy, there are lots of proven and up-and-coming stallions to choose from.
hyperionstud.com

Branscomb Farm stands Chicardo and Contiano B. Chicardo was second at the 2011 70 day test and Contiano BF won the 2010 70 day test. Chicardo also has two sons currently attending this year’s 70 day test (can you tell I have 70 day test on the brain? :lol:). I believe it was last year that Chicardo had the highest rate of premium foals in the AHHA inspection tour.

Cubito at Sequoyah Farms won Holsteiner stallion licensing in Neumunster in 2006. I like his jump, although I haven’t seen any of his foals to be able to comment on what he is producing.
gkperformancehorses.com
They also stand the Carthago son, Czechmate, and have an interesting new stallion who is Diamant de Semilly x Quidam de Revel.

…and speaking of the 70 day test, the Canadian Hanoverian stallion, Colour Guard, was second at the 2010 test and actually finished slightly ahead of the winner, Contiano BF, in the jumping portion. He is a smaller, more compact type but I have seen him jump and he is a real jumping bean! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Zuri;7294640]
Bliss MF standing at Marabet Farm; Cartier standing at Rising Star Farm. Look at their videos! Awesome!

Bliss scored higher in jumping than Bon Balou and Banderas. All three stamp their foals and throw chrome. Cartier is an incredible jumper and stamps his foals as well. Both Maggie and Ronda are excellent to work with and extremely helpful. I am breeding my two mares to both Bliss and Cartier respectively in 2014. Both collect and ship the same day and the semen quality is excellent according to my breeding vet.

Best wishes for a lovely foal.[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about jumping scores from the 70 day test this is inaccurate as Bliss MF scored a 124.23 in jumping behind Bon Balou at 125.04. Bon Balou was the 70 day test jumping champion and finished third overall.

Lots of great suggestions there as well. Thanks for the link to gkperformancehorses - I have loved Diamant de Semilly for years, and am always interested in sons of his.

Lots of great suggestions tradewind.
Thanks for the link to the Diamant de Semilly son - he is lovely.

[QUOTE=Tradewind;7295130]
What are your mare’s strengths and weaknesses? To me, Bon Balou and Banderas are quite different in type; I might use them on different mares. We can offer you a number of stallion suggestions; however, they all differ in type and blood, so it depends on the qualities of your mare as to which one would suit her best.

Another stallion for you to consider is Maggie’s Corlando son, Carry On MF. He is currently at the 70 day test. I only saw him go on the flat yesterday but I have to say, he is stunning. Apparently he was very impressive in the stadium jumping. I can’t wait to see him free jump! Obviously he is unproven and we will wait to see what his final scores are in the testing, but I am certainly keeping an eye on him!

There are also two young newly licensed Hanoverian stallions coming to Canada for next year: one is Coupe de Coeur/Werther/Gardeulan II who will be standing at Equitop Farm in Alberta (who was also just discussed recently on this forum); there is also a Stolzenberg/Graf Grannus/Graphit coming to new owners in Quebec, which should be quite interesting!

I really like Bon Balou as well: long legs, athletic, great mover, very scopey. Jennifer is great.

If you are considering Holsteiners, check out the AHHA stallion roster at:
holsteiner.com

Dakota VDL or any of the Hyperion Stud stallions might suit your fancy, there are lots of proven and up-and-coming stallions to choose from.
hyperionstud.com

Branscomb Farm stands Chicardo and Contiano B. Chicardo was second at the 2011 70 day test and Contiano BF won the 2010 70 day test. Chicardo also has two sons currently attending this year’s 70 day test (can you tell I have 70 day test on the brain? :lol:). I believe it was last year that Chicardo had the highest rate of premium foals in the AHHA inspection tour.

Cubito at Sequoyah Farms won Holsteiner stallion licensing in Neumunster in 2006. I like his jump, although I haven’t seen any of his foals to be able to comment on what he is producing.
gkperformancehorses.com
They also stand the Carthago son, Czechmate, and have an interesting new stallion who is Diamant de Semilly x Quidam de Revel.

…and speaking of the 70 day test, the Canadian Hanoverian stallion, Colour Guard, was second at the 2010 test and actually finished slightly ahead of the winner, Contiano BF, in the jumping portion. He is a smaller, more compact type but I have seen him jump and he is a real jumping bean! :)[/QUOTE]

I know the people who bought the Stolzenburg/Graf Grannus and was with them when they bought him, he is truly incredible!! And sweet as can be. They recently were approved to name him Stolzengraf :slight_smile: Should be coming over this month

We have Navarone (Jus de Pomme x Armstrong) proven Grand Prix jumper producer standing for fresh and the young stallion Dante MG (Chin Chin x Glennridge) both Oldenburg approved.

Would be helpful to know more about your mare to help you make a selection. Pedigree, what you want to improve on. Pictures?

Kathy

What about Utrillo van de Heffinck (Clinton x Heartbreaker) at Hilltop Farm for your mare?

I suggest that jumper/hunter breeders contact Arnold Dobber in Ocala for two super Holsteiner-bred stallions, Carambo D (Carthago x Calypso II), and Candola D (Caruso x Corisco). 352- 895- 3636. Arnold is very knowledgeable as a breeder and former GP rider in Europe.

[QUOTE=Sakura Hill Farm;7303048]
I suggest that jumper/hunter breeders contact Arnold Dobber in Ocala for two super Holsteiner-bred stallions, Carambo D (Carthago x Calypso II), and Candola D (Caruso x Corisco). 352- 895- 3636. Arnold is very knowledgeable as a breeder and former GP rider in Europe.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting!! Is the stallion Carambo D available via fresh or frozen? Is he approved Holsteiner?

[QUOTE=eniskerry;7303302]
Very interesting!! Is the stallion Carambo D available via fresh or frozen? Is he approved Holsteiner?[/QUOTE]

Re Carambo D—both fresh and frozen with outstanding fertility. And, yes, he is Holsteiner Verband (Germany) approved. You can see photos as well as pedigree on the Dobber Stables website. He is out of Zivia, a mare owned by the Director of the Holsteiner Verband.

We have a 2014 foal by Carambo due to our Ahorn mare Ahme P. An in utero contract on this foal has been sold to a breeder seeking to upgrade the jumper bloodlines in her herd.

[QUOTE=Stoney447;7295430]
If you are talking about jumping scores from the 70 day test this is inaccurate as Bliss MF scored a 124.23 in jumping behind Bon Balou at 125.04. Bon Balou was the 70 day test jumping champion and finished third overall.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct after the age deduction was taken. Without the age deduction, Bliss scored higher.

[QUOTE=Zuri;7310921]
You are absolutely correct after the age deduction was taken. Without the age deduction, Bliss scored higher.[/QUOTE]

But there is an age deduction for a reason. Splitting hairs.

Sakura Hill, is there ever a post on here where you just simply answer the question, without interjecting some sort of Shameless Self Promotion for yourself, your horses or anything to do with YOU? It is so tiresome.

Well one could take it that way or take it that the stallion she proposed has enough buzz/talent/cache that you can sell his foals before they hit the ground which maybe of interest to breeders (i.e., whose foals are selling).

Or you could do a quick search of her posts to see that is likely not the case.

[QUOTE=Zuri;7310921]
You are absolutely correct after the age deduction was taken. Without the age deduction, Bliss scored higher.[/QUOTE]

You know, maybe I’m grumpy this morning, but this irks the hell out of me. The score is the score. Period. You can’t say, well, without the age deduction it would be this…or with a better day it would have been this, or had he done that he would have been first. It is what it is. It takes nothing away from the quality of the horse, but the age deduction reflects the fact that the testing is designed for younger horses and therefor there has to be an age deduction for the older horses because they SHOULD be better at the job; older, stronger, more training, etc. Jeez. If people, including stallion owners, would stop twisting the test results to suit their own purposes it would do the entire breeding community a favor…Now, rant over :slight_smile:

I’m biased, as I bred to Bon Balou, but I was at the 70DT the year he and Bliss were tested and I agree, the score is the score and no matter which way you carve it out, he won the jumping portion. And since this year was his first foal crop in NA, I think it is premature to say he stamps his foals like banderas and bliss, although it is certainly looking that way, it is difficult to compare him to his half and 3/4 brother just yet. Lets look at your mare and see what she would cross best with and make a decision based on logic, facts and pedigree, shall we?

All that being said, I hope Bon Balou is a match because I love him. But he was an excellent cross for my mare.

[QUOTE=omare;7311130]
Well one could take it that way or take it that the stallion she proposed has enough buzz/talent/cache that you can sell his foals before they hit the ground which maybe of interest to breeders (i.e., whose foals are selling).[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Carambo D has very interesting breeding, a record on Europe and is approved there. Further, his owner has just recently moved to Ocala from Holland where he also maintains a stud farm and training/selling facility. I believe that he and his stallions deserve promotion in part because of the breeding and performance records of his stallions not to speak of Arnold’s outstanding service to his clients. Most breeders have some interest in the mares that are being used with a given stallion and ,equally,most have some interest in ease of marketing.

Zlotych, I repeat what I posted on 28 November 2011 in reply to one of your posts —“Just stating the facts, ma’am. We do not intend to offend.”