Unlimited access >

Jumper stallions for Arabian mare

A TB/Morgan cross sounds nice! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Well, breeding a Morgan to a WB would certainly cause some pearls to be clutched but I have seen it done and seen some very nice crosses from this combination. TB/Morgan is another with good results provided both parents are valuable contributions to their respective breed.

If a WB daunts you but you think a TB would be a good fit, I’d suggest Saketini but I am not sure how much height he would contribute or if it comes through the dam. There is also Petrol, ridden by Sue Gallagher, who I believe is being aimed at some WB approval this year if memory serves (which it may not). He has a FB page and is the best moving TB stallion I’ve seen standing in this decade.

3 Likes

Could you share the link to Pedro’s page, please? I can’t seem to find it.

OP: I don’t know enough about Morgan’s to make a good suggestion, but a family friend used to hunt a really nice Morgan x TB gelding. Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about his breeding beyond that, but it seems like a TB would be a safe choice here. Saketini is lovely and seems to stamp his foals consistently. I think Sea Accounts is on the taller side? I’m not familiar with his offspring, however.

For a good moving and jumping stallion with chrome, Con Capilot comes to mind. He seems to be producing nice hunter type foals across a wide variety of mares. Cosmeo also has chrome and has some really good jumping offspring. You could contact the people standing each of them and ask if they might suit your mare based on photos and video. I wonder if a Trakehner stallion might give you some of the consistency of cross like the TB? Inamorato is tall with some chrome and I think Andrew Palmer would be able to give you good information on suitability and suggestions.

A more out of the box idea that might be absolutely the wrong one would be to look for a Gelders stallion? I don’t know enough about them or any bloodlines, but my understanding is that they are supposed to be a very all around type horse, which reminds me of the Morgans, so I wonder if that would be a consistent “like to like” cross while still adding some height and sportiness? I don’t know what Gelders stallions are available in the US though. I think Kathy Hickerson at Majestic Gaits was involved in a Gelders project somewhat recently? Might be worth reaching out to her if that is an avenue you’re interested in exploring, to see if she has any thoughts.

1 Like

Haha. A Morgan! That makes much more sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m still thinking a TB or high-“blood” warmblood stallion is your best bet, if a jumper is specifically what you’re wanting.

4 Likes

I think TB blood but I would not go straight TB. I would choose either a Trakehner or a Connemara/TB or a smaller ISH cross stallion for this horse. That way you risk less of the first generation TB cross/ small upright build horse problems like a downhill build with a short neck and will likely get something more predictable.

If I went Euro warmblood I would likely go Swedish or maybe Czech type breeding or whatever they call it now that produces the more hunter type movement and avoid the Dutch lines with a lot of knee action and the more upright shoulder. And yes i know that all those registries mix and match but overall it’s important with a horse that has driving lines up close to really think about movement and pedigree when crossing with a WB.

1 Like

I’m really liking sempatico. I know a few people who had used him and absolutely adore their babies. Just the best personality.
Does anyone have thoughts on his conformation with hers? I know it’s a odd cross.

1 Like

That is exactly the kind of horse I would not cross this Morgan mare too. I think you run the risk of getting a horse who is too up and down and does not move out enough for your purposes of having a nice show jumper. I do not know her breeding but my understanding is that almost all Morgans have driving or saddleseat blood up close. Even if she moves more out the genetics is there.

4 Likes

What I would do Stormy is contact Avalon directly. They are incredibly knowledgeable breeders and I think they would be a treasure trove of information for you. I’ve learned a great deal from them. They would know best about what he consistently passes and how he would cross with your type of mare. The foals I’ve seen have been correct, balanced and ammy friendly. He’s had a lot of premium foals, successful offspring, etc. You could also ask if they have pictures of his offspring that you could look at to see what he consistently produces. I’d share with them the info on your mare and let them know your intentions with the offspring and see what they think. And while you’re at it, you could confirm to make sure they have frozen semen for when you do plan to breed as well as registration options.

Let us know who you choose and how it goes!

2 Likes

I would pick a stallion who is known to basically clone himself regardless of mare. There are a lot of WB stallions who are extremely homogeneous in type and every one of their foals seem to be a mini-version of them. I’d find a stallion who takes your breath away, and then look at his foals.

I can actually answer your question about Sempatico since I have a fair bit of first hand experience with his get. A farm local to me bred to him often for their PMU/grade mares and a few of their horses ended up in my (eventing) competition barn. I rode several of them for their amateur owners. Their dispositions were all pleasant. Under saddle all of them had more whoa than go, some were lazy. They were not my type of ride, I like light, forward, and sensitive, but they all were great AA horses and some are even still competing. They all moved like Sempatico, so in my narrow first hand experience I would say you’d want a mare with great fluidity and he would not be my first choice for your mare either unless you are okay with that type of movement. The ones I rode had too up/down of a gallop to be serious UL eventers, but most riders don’t need UL talent, they need a good brain – and they all had great brains.

2 Likes

Almost all, but not all. There are Morgans being bred for sport who tend to have less “trappy” movement.

Some of the “hunter pleasure” Morgans being shown in the breed ring have great reach in their gaits, though it can be hard to tell because they are usually “shod up” to get more height.

So much depends on the mare, though.

1 Like

I am no help on your stallion questions but I do own a grade mare who is mostly Morgan and TB with a dash of AQHA (she was ranch-bred in an area where Morgans are a common inclusion, they said for steady toughness in mind and foot). She is exactly that, and also turned out with a huge stride and is the type you could comfortably ride all day.

Ok, that’s probably the opposite of what I like. I also like forward and light; which is exactly what she is.

Do you have any recommendations for stallions that really stamps their offspring?

Casquino might be another one to look at. The foals I have seen by him (including mine) are very similar in type and he seems to produce that Holsteiner type quite consistently. Not tons of white but he has a star and four socks and most of his foals have some white on them. He isn’t massive, but there is a lot of height on his dam’s side, and I’ve seen some pretty big foals by him (again, mine included.) Here is a foal by him out of a 14h Connemara mare for reference: https://www.ekbergsporthorses.com/horses/ke-queen-matilda

Another musing/out of the box type thought: what about an Irish horse? You might not get a lot of refinement, but the RID stallions seem to have crossed well on a variety of cob-types throughout the years and produced very useful all around horses with nice jumps and should give you some size as well. I’m not familiar enough with the stallions here to be able to suggest any with chrome or the right type for you, or if it is a good idea, but it’s another thought!

1 Like

There are many stellar recommendations if you’re willing to breed a foal without a pinto or palomino coat.

1 Like

Do they have to be pinto/colored?

no; it would be a bonus but not a requirement. You don’t see the color of your horse when you are jumping it :slightly_smiling_face:

You might want to contact the American Morgan Horse Association. They might be able to run DNA for you.

https://www.morganhorse.com/

2 Likes

I would look at c-line holsteiner stallions and I’d also consider contacting Joe Pimentel regarding his Trakehner stallions and talk to him about who he’d possibly recommend crossing with Morgan blood. Perhaps something with heavier blood. Several of his stallions have a heavy stamp and are extremely athletic with lots of proven offspring.

3 Likes

Look at Beau Balou. Laura Wood had a lovely half Arab foal this year from him. Produces the Balou high white, excellent mover and a very easy classic jumper. French Anglo Arab on the dam side which blends well with most Arab lines. Oozes talent. Watch his videos.

1 Like