Unlimited access >

Jumping help!

Hi there!

I’m 5’8”, very tall torso and short arms. I have been trying so hard to find a balanced jump position. With my tall torso, I feel top heavy when I get into 2-point position to jump, and when I land, I fall forward onto the horses neck.

When I grab mane, it’s very difficult with my short arms, and I feel like it throws me off balance even more. Like, I can’t reach the mane or grab strap without losing balance and falling forward.

Anyone have advice on what I can do?

To me this seems like a weakness issue - Particularly core strength. I’ve struggled with this after taking time off from riding after an injury and then after having kids.

Practice finding your balance at a half seat, two point and three point at a walk.

Focus on finding your center of gravity without relying on the horse’s movement to thrust you into that position, and work on getting yourself into those positions from a full seat.

Once you’re able to reliably hold that at the walk without grabbing mane or leaning on their neck, drop your stirrups. After that’s been mastered at the walk, start it all over again from the trot. Rinse & repeat at the canter and adding in ground poles, then jumps.

Anytime I’m feeling insecure over fences (or during more complex “questions”), I like to go back to basics to really diagnose the root cause of the issue. 9/10 it comes down to fitness level. I supplement my riding with a stationary bike and rower - we rely on our core to be an effective rider more than is recognized. Bonus points for easing back pain…!

Take your time and be patient with yourself - good luck!

1 Like

Definitely build up core strength! I am also tall and long through the torso. The first time I rode my horse after I had my daughter I fell on her neck when she started to canter and couldn’t sit back up. lol. I have done the Barre Blend program through twice now and my core is much stronger and stuff like that doesn’t happen anymore! I am so much more balanced.

1 Like

Agree with the above posters who say general core strength (in and out of the saddle) and practising finding your balance on the flat before you go to jump.

I will add, if you are already “top-heavy” be very sure you are folding at the hips and keeping them over the saddle (you might think of “reaching your seatbones back when your upper body reaches forward”) The joints in your lower body (so heels, knees, hips) should be flexed and ready to absorb shock…in other words, you really don’t want to be straightening your leg and pitching your body forward.

Then, you’ll want to make sure your arms are helping you out. I promise it’s possible even if they are short. Because even short arms have shoulders and elbows that let them reach (yeah, maybe not as far as monkey-armed people, but they can still go in a forward direction). I suspect from your description that when you reach for the mane you are taking your body with it as a unit. It’s actually a really common problem, especially in people who are novices and/or a bit nervous… it’s kind of a remnant of “going fetal” even though you are in motion and jumping. You need to think of releasing from the shoulders from your body and letting your elbows be hinges… the best mantra I have for that is “Hands in front of your nose” when you get into two-point. Even if that isn’t your exact physical reality with your build, the imagery still stands! It may also help to think of pushing yourself away from the neck with your hands (my friend used to say to her student’s “Pretend your pony’s ears stink. Pee-ew”)

Good luck!

1 Like