Unlimited access >

Jumping Problem

I’m having an issue when jumping my mare, its recently started after moving to a new yard and i have pinpointed the issue to be caused by what jump wings i use.
These are the wings:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10891584_10155051567200492_7010244931507379117_n.jpg?oh=d445445d26cf8e82bc32603a2caf676e&oe=55310174&gda=1425864034_0ac81249f818826b11a54afbee0e3e0d

so the issue i am having is i can jump white to black (as shown in link) but if i switch the direction of the jump and go with the black wings in front we land in the middle of the jump?

When i say middle i mean between the poles and wings,poles, fillers, cups you name it flies off in all directions!

When the jump is smaller we scrape our way over (just) but any bigger and we land in it or on it, but we can go up to 1m30/40ish with the wider wings holding the front rail, we also don’t have an issue with our jacobs ladder wings so its not how wide the wings are?

Help :3

The white wings are supposed to be on the side you jump from. The single upright ones are for the back rail. Your horse is not seeing the dark uprights and rail when you approach from that side and is instead using the white wing standards to judge where the fence is.

[QUOTE=fourmares;7932200]
The white wings are supposed to be on the side you jump from. The single upright ones are for the back rail. Your horse is not seeing the dark uprights and rail when you approach from that side and is instead using the white wing standards to judge where the fence is.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the black wings, the white wings are my own ones, i have a whole set, the black ones are not mine they are the yards and i always see people just using the black ones and poles. I thought it may have been her not seeing the jump but people told me i was over-reacting >.<

If they’re just using the black ones, then that’s probably not an issue - the problem that you have is you have such a stark contrast and when you’re coming at it black-to-white, your horse is losing the black ones against the white.

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7932239]
If they’re just using the black ones, then that’s probably not an issue - the problem that you have is you have such a stark contrast and when you’re coming at it black-to-white, your horse is losing the black ones against the white.[/QUOTE]

shes the same if i use 2 sets of black upright ones ones, lands in the jump or just scrapes over if its little :frowning:

She also jumps the black/brown wings fine as an upright, we only have the issue when its a spread :s

What happens if you make a spread not using the black wings at all? Do you have another set of white wings?

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7932286]
What happens if you make a spread not using the black wings at all? Do you have another set of white wings?[/QUOTE]

Shes completely fine, its just the black and brown sets of upright wings, i didn’t know if it was something she has learnt or if it is trainable, if its just that she can’t see its a bit of a bummer if the others at the yard set up a course as they use the stuff that’s easier to get out/put away, i have 7 or 8 pairs of wings (one of which is a jacobs ladder type) never had any issues with any type of jump, i also tried different poles and fillers but no change in how she jumps the black wings as a spread, used upright wings in the past at my old yard too, it worried me at first as she started doing it a couple weeks before a big show but she was fine at the show and came clear 2nd, and they had dark upright wings and light upright wings without the edge bits.

When you’re having problems… Are you jumping the jump in the photo (or any spread) backwards? Using the paneled wall (or other substantial ground line) in the background, with the single rail out in front of it?

When you’re jumping a spread of any kind, the ground line should always be at the side of your approach. Horses do not have the keen depth perception we do, and a groundline at the back side of a spread creates difficulty in determining the take-off point.

I would say - ask the owner if they mind if you paint everything white. You could also use yellow, light blue and light green. Maybe even light purple. Do a good job and make it look professional with tape for straight lines, etc.

It does sound to me like she is having trouble with her eyes. Is it dim at the new barn? Undercover? And brighter where she came 2nd?

[QUOTE=Melissa.Van Doren;7932317]
Are you jumping the jump in the photo backwards? (leaving the paneled wall where it is, with the single rail out in front of it)?[/QUOTE]

I swap it round so the wall and everything is the right way, only difference is black wings are in front of white, its not the white wings as i can use both pairs of black wings and she does the same thing.

both outside, only difference is our surface is a bit darker but i have jumped my girl on a black rubber surface with darker jumps in the last year though?

I would say that is it, but I was meaning darker from above, like in the shadow of a building or something.

Whatever it is I would not jump her over the darker stuff at home. If she loses her confidence and stops jumping you will have a much bigger problem.

For clarification, because I think you’re using terminology that is different for US riders and is a bit confusing:

When you say “Black wings” do you mean the black schooling standards? Like these, but in black: http://www.amazon.com/Schooling-Standards-Horse-Jumps-Heights/dp/B001NIBMMS

These are wings:

http://www.jumps4yourhorse.co.uk/images/user/93-301013112811.JPG

Evil black wings on their own:
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10403391_10154835209500492_4431104317705720976_n.jpg?oh=a457b8e15eb7686c268628ea912d75e3&oe=54F960CF
Normal jump in indoor round the corner:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10609732_10154544747025492_8734802011250872520_n.jpg?oh=25f41cb5a7593609680b553eb728d213&oe=55336C5F&gda=1429454858_0fdd2c551323ead97351f3b176b8048d
I don’t think i have a picture of the spread with just black wings but imagine the normal jump with all the black wings not the wider ones

[QUOTE=SuzieQNutter;7932343]
I would say that is it, but I was meaning darker from above, like in the shadow of a building or something.

Whatever it is I would not jump her over the darker stuff at home. If she loses her confidence and stops jumping you will have a much bigger problem.[/QUOTE]

No, its all outdoor, away from society haha, we have big floodlights too for when it gets dull/dark

and yeah like those RugBug, everything is just “wings” over here haha or dino/hedgehog blocks but i don’t own any blocks!

Have you noticed any difference if you jump a ramped oxer versus a square one? I’m looking at her style in the air and wondering if that is contributing depending on what exactly you’re jumping.

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7932372]
Have you noticed any difference if you jump a ramped oxer versus a square one? I’m looking at her style in the air and wondering if that is contributing depending on what exactly you’re jumping.[/QUOTE]
I have only used the black wings as an oxer type but i do put the back rail one or two holes up more than the front sometimes, for ascending spreads i normally just use the jacobs ladder wings as they are easier to get out, she jumps these with ease
this was the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPGT0xsHPNY&list=UUqosjQ18O1BO02uBF5W32wg
she loves jumping, we compete up to 1m10, hunt, have done some XC but not much as not had a chance (i always end up picking shows on days my friends go XC but ive done hunter trials on her and stuff so done a bit)

Also she has been jumping properly now for 3 years or so, she had done a bit when i got her but wasn’t confident at all and just ran off all the time at poles on the floor :3 she’s 14 too, 15 in may

When you say she lands in the middle of the jump… is she actually leaving the ground and coming down in it, or is she stopping and crashing into it?

Sorry for all the questions, yikes! I don’t want to interrogate you, I’m just trying to get a better picture in my mind of what’s going on.

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7932407]
When you say she lands in the middle of the jump… is she actually leaving the ground and coming down in it, or is she stopping and crashing into it?

Sorry for all the questions, yikes! I don’t want to interrogate you, I’m just trying to get a better picture in my mind of what’s going on.[/QUOTE]

She jumps, shes not one for stopping, will run out if shes scared but not very often, shes very bold, i get maybe 3 strides away and i have nothing, then she will jump too early and land on top of the back rail or between the two rails its horrible, i stopped using the wings after she did it 3 times in a row, i originally thought it was just a mis-stride! She does the same thing with me on her and loose schooling, i know its not the jump being too wide or too big (shes done at 140cm by 150cm from a trot before with me on her so her landing in a 90cm/1m oxer thats only about 80cm/70cm wide is unusual) She falls into trot if shes worried normally, but with these black wings she launches herself at the jump, takes off early normally and lands in it making a big mess!