Unlimited access >

Jumping saddle ideas for TBxPaint?

So I offered to get Funny Looking his own jumping saddle, since he is well and truly done with his owner’s CWD and I want to have a backup saddle anyways. He’s got some weird conformation (hence the charming nickname) and I’m not exactly sure what I should be looking for.

He seems to like saddles that have fairly flat panels front-to-back. His owner’s Karl Niederduss dressage saddle works perfectly, and the older County I put on him fit evenly but was a tad low on his sharky withers (I suspect the County would fit him just fine with pads). The CWD fits him pretty atrociously - it pinches hard in the withers/shoulder area and then rocks up off his back; I have a picture where he was resting his hind leg on the near side and I could get my hand under almost the whole cantle area. His shoulders are a little weirdly set and I think that causes some of the pinching issues.

This is my first time saddle shopping and I’m a feeling little bit lost on what brands or models would most likely fit him. His owner and I both think he might do well in an older English-made saddle that’s more designed for TBs. I’ve been looking through ebay for older Crosby’s, but all the ones I’ve found in my size would definitely need repairs, so I’d love to hear any other ideas of what to look for and what should be avoided!

[side shot]
[the terrible cantle picture]
[shoulders with CWD on]

It looks like the CWD is not wide enough.

[QUOTE=littlemess;7431655]
It looks like the CWD is not wide enough.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the CWD seems too narrow to me too. My initial thought was that he would just need a wider tree, but the KN and the County that fit him are both medium trees & when I put a wide tree dressage saddle on him it was definitely too wide. He has those big boxy shoulders that come up right under his withers and get in the way, but his spine & ribs are fairly narrow.

[QUOTE=RockstarPony;7431699]
Yeah, the CWD seems too narrow to me too. My initial thought was that he would just need a wider tree, but the KN and the County that fit him are both medium trees & when I put a wide tree dressage saddle on him it was definitely too wide. He has those big boxy shoulders that come up right under his withers and get in the way, but his spine & ribs are fairly narrow.[/QUOTE]

My horse has similar withers/shoulders. I have a Verhan Futurity that is a perfect fit for him.

Tree width looks acceptable (at least from what I can see in the photos), but can’t tell much else. Not liking the rear panel’s lack of contact, and I’ll bet the lateral angle may be too steep, which would put pressure on the outside edge of the panels rather than allowing weight to be borne across the entire surface.

Black Country Ricochet or Wexford might be worth trying. Albion Kontrol would be another possibility, or the Loxley Foxhunter.