Unlimited access >

Jumping Stallions that improve type & rideability

What stallions have you found to consistently produce ammie friendly beautiful horses with reasonable scope (not looking for 1.60m horses here!) and what lines would you stay away from?

Utopie is known to produce good conformation and lighter type that does end up in the 1.60’s . He is also a great character and has many showing offspring at 1.30 and above with amateurs. Super character and great temperament. www.eurequine.com

1 Like

Not at all a comprehensive list, and not first hand experience with all of these, but a few that popped into my head from experience and from what I’ve “heard.” Not all of these stallions are necessarily available any more, but may have sons standing that this could be relevant to (or not)

Easy/Type

Casall - reputation for good temperaments and being a refining sire if you have the $$$. Not sure if his frozen is available in the US now or not, but has some nice sons too

Dakota VDL - modern type and seems to have inherited Casall’s brain

Navarone - seems to produce great, Ammy friendly horses and every one I’ve seen has been a really beautiful type

Winningmood - has a lot of blood, so you’ll get some type, but I’ve heard his offspring have excellent minds and I’ve been impressed by the ones I’ve seen

Landkoenig - typey and seem to have great minds
Cunningham - hunter, but he gets some jumper mare bookings too and seems to reliably produce a great jump, attractive head, and good brain

Quite Easy - Always heard that Quite Easy was indeed, quite easy

Catoki - don’t know much about temperaments but I’ve seen quite a few with amateurs and they are always good looking with cute pony-type heads

Not So Easy and/or Less Refined

Coronet Obolensky - reputation for being tough

Baloubet de Rouet - definitely a reputation for being difficult and wouldn’t be my choice if I wanted something definitely ammy friendly. Some of his sons seem to have good temperaments, but I have seen quite a few Balou offspring that I’d describe as “quirky” so despite their popularity that wouldn’t be my choice if I was really going for temperament

Corrado I - reputation for being difficult and not always so correct, although masses of scope and I have to say I adored every Corrado that I ever sat on and my junior jumper/first Grand Prix horse was a stallion by Coronado (Corrado I x Rebel Z I) and he was a delight. Could be a bit tough in the mouth and in the bigger classes if he came a bit unglued but 99% of the time was a dream and was incredibly easy to handle. I’d 100% seek out this line for myself, but if you want a modern type this probably isn’t it, regardless of temperament

Clarimo/Clearway - I have in my head these guys can be quite hot? Can’t remember exactly where I got that from though because I can’t think of what horse(s) I’d be thinking of at the moment

Diamante de Semilly - great jump but offspring tend to be a bit more old fashioned and so not my pick if you want beautiful and typey

Mr. Blue/Plot Blue - seem to be more of a pro ride in general, IIRC Marcus Ehning described Plot Blue as “alert” and “sensitive” so probably not a go-to for ammy friendly

Kannan - I’ve gone back and forth as to which list to put him on. I’d say his offspring are very ammy friendly from what I’ve seen and I actually find them to be quite attractive in general but they do tend to be heavier types with plain heads and wouldn’t be a stallion I’d expect to improve type or head on a heavy or plain mare, so I’ve stuck him here but I really, really like him

Apologies if any of these have already been mentioned, I’ve been picking away at this response on and off and haven’t looked to see if there have been replies in the interim, and these are just a few I’ve thought of.

4 Likes

Seemingly every other horse I ask about in person is by Lordanos.

1 Like

Shocked Cassini I or II isn’t on here. Both consistently produce scopey, safe, army friendly horses. Most are quite large and handle mistakes quite well. I am more partial to Cassini II.

Also Capitol I is one I find in a lot of the bloodlines of horses I prefer for amateurs.

1 Like

Thanks guys this is super helpful! I loved you list Weixiao super informative and exactly what I was looking for thankyou very much!

I agree with many of those already listed. In my experience, the Cassini I and II (Capitol), Landkoenig (Landgraf), Casall (Caretino), and many with Contender will usually be pretty ammy friendly. The Capitals can ride “cold” so ideally some blood in there is good. I’ve seen some very nice Lordanos too. Keep in mind the motherline… even though the stallion is great, the individual also has a dam (and damline) which will have quite a bit of influence as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Parco would be your best bet. He’s affordable, great post thaw motility and his offspring are ammy friendly rides. My mare caught on one dose. I have a colt by him in training and he’s the easiest one at the trainer’s. He has such a laid back attitude and loves to learn. He also has an amazing work ethic.

I got my dose from Judy Yancey. She is amazing.
https://www.yancey-farms.com/product/parco/

The Stallion Company did a video of Parco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_uARGR91ck&t=13s

balou du rouet has great ammy minds.