Unlimited access >

Jumps you don't see anymore

Canter down had one too… up one stride then off the bank.

We always called that a tiger trap. I haven’t seen one in years, though.

2 Likes

PNW definitely had a tiger trap or 3. In western area 3 I’ve seen and jumped tires, zig zags, stone walls (both at MTPC HT and a local schooling locations), lots of interesting sketchy stuff.

I wish there were more of the banks styles. They look fun to ride!

1 Like

Makes me think of the now long-defunct Shepley Hill - almost the entire course was in the woods. And in those woods was the other thing I haven’t seen in ages until Pratoni… the slide.

3 Likes

Small world!! The woman that leases my other gelding is the woman that ran Shepley Hill. I never competed there, but we still ride those woods. Some of the fences in there are truly jaw dropping – especially that one drop out near the old stream. :scream:

2 Likes

I was thinking that maybe my youthful imagination was making them out to be bigger things than they actually were, but maybe not. :joy: I don’t know that I have any XC photos from there, but I def have some showjumping. Sometimes I shudder looking back at the crazy things we jumped without a second thought when I was a kid in the early-mid 90’s!

Also LOVED Stoneleigh. What a beautiful, beautiful place for a horse show.

1 Like

Shepley Hill had a Helsinki. GREAT event of old days.

2 Likes

I’d call that an Elephant Trap.

FWIW, Eventing Nation agrees that what was pictured is called a tiger trap

2 Likes

I loved the courses on large tracts of land where there’d be an entire line of the same jump from Starter to Advanced. E.g. trakehners, snake fence, stone walls. It was fun to see the progression and feel you were doing similar stuff to the “big guys”.

4 Likes

We also used to have a Warsaw, which is a Helsinki on flat ground.

What’s a slide?

6 Likes

This is the 80s/90s version: https://youtu.be/bmerb11169M?t=515

5 Likes

Well Eventing nation is wrong. Let me pull out my old Eventing books for pics!

1 Like

Sometimes it just amazes me anyone survived the good old days.

7 Likes

Preach. Those old vids are terrifying, and I can never understand why the old-timers pine for “the good old days.”

3 Likes

Yes! I will have to share pics from this book I have, it’s commentary is by Lucinda and it’s mostly horse fall photos and her explanations on what they probably did wrong. It’s awful though I just looked through it the other day was in shock this was published ahha I have a huge collection of old Eventing books and half of them I just looked through quickly so didn’t even realize I had this.

After looking at it I said to myself that truly shows those sure as hell weren’t the good ol days.

And here we have competitors kvetching about grass footing in their dressage warm up… Would love to see their reaction if they had to ride – even at a walk – through this!

4 Likes

I think I have the same book!

OMG, some made it look easy with a tiny hop over the jump, then slither down the hill. imagine doing that in rain and mud!!
Seamus Marwood #33 would have been eliminated and carded for abuse - smacking the horse overhand with the whip on both sides repeatedly.

1 Like